Off cushion

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
lithos

Off cushion

Post by lithos »

Once the sitting practice has been well established, I would like to know your opinions, ideas, ways to proceeding, on a daily basis. I know it is very important to be mindful in every situation, but as a layman it is difficult to keep the awareness moment to moment like in Mahasi style, you know, sometimes life is complicated and stressful.
In my opinion another teaching that we can try to apply “on the fly” is metta.
What do you think ?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Off cushion

Post by Sam Vara »

lithos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am Once the sitting practice has been well established, I would like to know your opinions, ideas, ways to proceeding, on a daily basis. I know it is very important to be mindful in every situation, but as a layman it is difficult to keep the awareness moment to moment like in Mahasi style, you know, sometimes life is complicated and stressful.
What do you think ?
I think that sounds like a really good idea. Another practice for lay people is to try to remain continuously mindful of the precepts. Do this when carrying out any task or interacting with others.
Volo

Post by Volo »

I would suggest to take one practice (e.g. anapanasati, metta, etc), in which you have faith and which you like most, and return to it again and again, whenever you notice that you got distracted. Till the rest of your life. No need to try to "keep the awareness", just naturally return to it.
lithos

Post by lithos »

Thanks Sam Vara, Volo
Yes, the precepts are certainly basic.

Anapanasati is my daily meditation, sometimes I add metta practice at the beginning or at the end. I find that practicing metta during the daily contacts and tasks amplifies a lot the awareness of the present moment, but not always is easy.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

lithos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am Once the sitting practice has been well established, I would like to know your opinions, ideas, ways to proceeding, on a daily basis. I know it is very important to be mindful in every situation, but as a layman it is difficult to keep the awareness moment to moment like in Mahasi style, you know, sometimes life is complicated and stressful.
What do you think ?
I think its like developing a positive habit, remembering to stand back regularly throughout the day, reconnecting with a different way of seeing things.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Volo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 pm I would suggest to take one practice (e.g. anapanasati, metta, etc), in which you have faith and which you like most, and return to it again and again, whenever you notice that you got distracted. Till the rest of your life. No need to try to "keep the awareness", just naturally return to it.
:goodpost:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

The practice of Dhamma is not dependent on being a monk, a novice or a layman; it depends on straightening out your understanding. If our understanding is correct, we arrive at peace. Whether you are ordained or not it’s the same, every person has the chance to practice Dhamma, to contemplate it. We all contemplate the same thing. If you attain peace, it’s all the same peace; it’s the same path, with the same methods.
(Ajahn Chah)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In my opinion, the solution to your question is Satipathana practice using walking meditation.
Once you perfected walking meditation you can apply this to all other daily activities naturally.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
lithos

Post by lithos »

Volo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 pm I would suggest to take one practice (e.g. anapanasati, metta, etc), in which you have faith and which you like most, and return to it again and again, whenever you notice that you got distracted. Till the rest of your life. No need to try to "keep the awareness", just naturally return to it.
"Till the rest of your life"
Indeed, or for several lifetimes
lithos

Post by lithos »

Crazy cloud wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 am
The practice of Dhamma is not dependent on being a monk, a novice or a layman; it depends on straightening out your understanding. If our understanding is correct, we arrive at peace. Whether you are ordained or not it’s the same, every person has the chance to practice Dhamma, to contemplate it. We all contemplate the same thing. If you attain peace, it’s all the same peace; it’s the same path, with the same methods.
(Ajahn Chah)
Truly
lithos

Post by lithos »

SarathW wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:47 am In my opinion, the solution to your question is Satipathana practice using walking meditation.
Once you perfected walking meditation you can apply this to all other daily activities naturally.
Related to Satipathana pratice I came across the book "Spiritual Tpis for Meditators" of Luangpor Khamkhian. He talks about dynamic meditation, using the movement of the arms to reinforce the awareness, then you can apply it when walking, and from here I find easier to keep consciousness in any movement of the body.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

lithos wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 am
(Ajahn Chah)
Truly
Right now when I was reading through the thread, I sat and asked myself: What is lacking now to make this moment even to be more full of itself than just being what it is ..., and of course, all I could find was words and concepts made by this unsettled mind that needs happiness. And that same "neediness" Is actually the core of being calling me to just let it be as it is, it's all there is, what more do you need now.

There is no difference between me and the core, it's the same wish.

And the wish is: Stay at home, don't leave me.

Maybe that's the major mistake Adam made when he got the apple. He thought it was his next lunch break, and so he went for a very long walk, and when will he understand that one single apple is just that.

You're the apple of my eye :smile:
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

What do you think ?
I've found Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching to develop a little bit of breath awareness as an anchor throughout the day really helpful in this regard. Essentially he says to use every moment when there is a pause, a wait or when we recall it, to bring our awareness to the breath. Bit by bit this develops into a seamless awareness of breathing through the day (and maybe even night!). This anchor assists mindfulness by centering and maintaining a focus apart from all the comings and goings.
_/|\_
lithos

Post by lithos »

Crazy cloud wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:36 am
Truly
Right now when I was reading through the thread, I sat and asked myself: What is lacking now to make this moment even to be more full of itself than just being what it is ..., and of course, all I could find was words and concepts made by this unsettled mind that needs happiness. And that same "neediness" Is actually the core of being calling me to just let it be as it is, it's all there is, what more do you need now.

Maybe that's the major mistake Adam made when he got the apple. He thought it was his next lunch break, and so he went for a very long walk, and when will he understand that one single apple is just that.

Unfortunately, or perhaps because of Adam :twisted: , we have been building a whole series of layers around that "let it be", so now we have to learn, or someone has to provide us with a path to return to that "core". That requires a certain effort, even if it is to learn not to make any effort.
Dan74 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:47 am
What do you think ?
I've found Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching to develop a little bit of breath awareness as an anchor throughout the day really helpful in this regard. Essentially he says to use every moment when there is a pause, a wait or when we recall it, to bring our awareness to the breath. Bit by bit this develops into a seamless awareness of breathing through the day (and maybe even night!). This anchor assists mindfulness by centering and maintaining a focus apart from all the comings and goings.
[/quote/
Thanks Dan 74, Useful
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

lithos wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:41 am
Crazy cloud wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:36 am
Truly

Unfortunately, or perhaps because of Adam :twisted: , we have been building a whole series of layers around that "let it be", so now we have to learn, or someone has to provide us with a path to return to that "core". That requires a certain effort, even if it is to learn not to make any effort.
By this time we should have got it ... Guess he said: "I am Adam!", and that was the "apple". So, one can start with "I" and "am" and stop right there. That should do the trick if one is getting tired of the same damn apple ...
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters