Current Moderator Avatars.....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Fede

Current Moderator Avatars.....

Post by Fede »

All seem to be the wild dog, dingo, coyote variety....

is this a Forum-uniform thing?
A general Mod-Trend?
Something you've all agreed?

Very distinctive, huh?

I'm just curious and interested....

(I bet I've missed something somewhere, knowing me.... :embarassed: )
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plwk

Re: Current Moderator Avatars.....

Post by plwk »

Last edited by plwk on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

If you tell me that dog's name is Retro, I'm going into hiding......
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fede wrote:All seem to be the wild dog, dingo, coyote variety....
Jackals.

”Your Majesty, why should one who follows the path leading to supreme enlightenment, who is like the lion, king of beasts, salute those who follow the Hinayana, who are like jackals? -- A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras, Garma Chang page 116

It is an in joke sort of thing.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I'm not changing my avatar :tongue: I like the big Buddha statue too much. Attachment? Maybe, for now; enlightenment another day. :tongue:

I'd say Theravadins are more like elephants, with the excellent memories (for reciting the Pali Canon).

:stirthepot:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Is this a response to perceived 'Mahayana prosthelytizing'?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Fede

Post by Fede »

BlackBird wrote:Is this a response to perceived 'Mahayana prosthelytizing'?

metta
Jack
No, I guess (if that's a serious question) that it's the Admin/Mods poking gentle fun at themselves and at pejorative terminology like Hinayana...

My question has been answered, my curiosity satisfied.

Thank you all.

And now, it's walkies time..... :thanks:

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Loved the dog, plwk. Woo Woo WooOOOO !

Great doggies - er jackals - guys !

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

That is one awsome video!!!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Haha funny!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Fede

Post by Fede »

Aw.... the poor thing....!
Classic answer to "Can animals dream?" though, isn't it?
My dog used to twitch a lot, and whimper... he woke himself up one day, by barking...
One loud 'woof!' then he sat bolt upright as if to say "What the hell was that?!?"

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fede wrote:Aw.... the poor thing....!
Classic answer to "Can animals dream?" though, isn't it?
My dog used to twitch a lot, and whimper... he woke himself up one day, by barking...
One loud 'woof!' then he sat bolt upright as if to say "What the hell was that?!?"
I rather love dogs. My dog was once sitting on the living room floor and let out a rather large fart, at which she slowly turned her head and looked down at her butt as if something so noisy could not have possibly come her.
Attachments
fart-dog[1].jpg
fart-dog[1].jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Fede

Post by Fede »

And they smell.
They do.
They do smell.
Boy, do they smell.....

No matter how well I fed my dog, he always managed to find some far more savoury and nutritious titbit, hidden in the undergrowth during walks, doubtless left, abandoned or dropped there by some passer-by or Mother Nature.... naturally it was probably in an advanced state of decay...or worse, decomposition.....it didn't matter how fast I moved, he ate faster.... and we all got to enjoy his illicit meal, or the natural process of it, several hours later, in the quiet confines of the living room....which would promptly empty in record time.
Even in the harshest of deepest winter, an open window wasn't an uncommon occurrence, chez nous.....

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fede wrote:And they smell.
They do.
They do smell.
Boy, do they smell.....

No matter how well I fed my dog, he always managed to find some far more savoury and nutritious titbit, hidden in the undergrowth during walks, doubtless left, abandoned or dropped there by some passer-by or Mother Nature.... naturally it was probably in an advanced state of decay...or worse, decomposition.....it didn't matter how fast I moved, he ate faster.... and we all got to enjoy his illicit meal, or the natural process of it, several hours later, in the quiet confines of the living room....which would promptly empty in record time.
Even in the harshest of deepest winter, an open window wasn't an uncommon occurrence, chez nous.....
Not only will dogs eat things which would gag a maggot, they are also quite likely to barf it back up in the most inconvenient places.