Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
seanpdx

Re: Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by seanpdx »

BlackBird wrote:This thread brought a smile to my otherwise drab day :)

Thank you.

metta
Jack
My thoughts exactly!
Now, back to that drab day...
tiltbillings

Re: Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutta" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Dan,
Dan74 wrote:Your thread and Tilt's comments have made me want to read it. It's been gathering dust on the shelf long enough!
If you find some parts you think you be of interest, can you post them here?

As the whole thing is pretty long (as is often the way with Mahayana Sutras) I'd like to be pretty specific and focused with the sections addressed.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Will do! Might take me a week or two though...
So, how is that going for you?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

..it left him with an empty feeling?

ok..bad pun
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

still a fair way to go...

will be another two weeks probably (a busy time at work with the start of semeseter approaching)
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

For those who are inclined to read Mahayana sutras, probably a better read than the eponymous sutra of this thread is the earlier Surangama_Samadhi_Sutra, which has decent and recent translation online:

http://lirs.ru/lib/sutra/Surangama_Sama ... 25-III.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lamotte translation would be worth having, not only for its translation but also for all its scholarly apparatus, which is available for 14 pounds.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

rowyourboat wrote:..it left him with an empty feeling?

ok..bad pun
:D

Hiya Folks,

Well I am still only half way through and I am guessing that it is not the best sutra to read for a Theravadin. A lot of it builds on Yogacara teachings and maybe reminiscent of some of the Abhidhamma stuff, I am not sure.

It definitely deals with anatta though, removing any false identifications and misconceptions about the nature of the mind. It's pretty tough-going for me, although much resonates with other material and a smidgen of experience.

Some of it is analytic, some seems to come directly from a very deep absorption and some goes completely over my head. All I can say is that I will keep reading and re-reading. If I can be so bold as to venture advice is to keep practice balanced. Study is only one side of it.

Be well!
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for checking in, Dan.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Dan, I wish you'd been around in my Scholastic algebra days..... never saw the point then, and am still nonplussed by it now....!

I think this is the type of thing that swayed me definitively towards approaching Buddhism through the Theravada portal. There was much I was trying to plough through in Mahayana that simply absolutely left me wallowing face down in deep blue blancmange....
Not that there has been a marked improvement since, but I far prefer reading Theravada Suttas and teachings.....
In fact, I need to immerse myself far more than of late....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:thumbsup: I second that emotion..blue blancmange and all. :tongue:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.