The secret to a successful meditation session

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The secret to a successful meditation session

Post by DNS »

No expectations.

If I have a sitting and I feel relaxed during and/or after the meditation session, I'm happy.

For beginners, it is common to judge each session as good or bad (and it's usually judged as bad), but as we continue with the practice, I think it is best to drop the judgments and expectations.
tsuzumi

Post by tsuzumi »

On a more physical level, I like to have two or three cups of green tea before meditation. (And maybe wait a while for the water metabolic system to stabilize). Does tea figure in the Theravadan practice? It has a long history in China and Japan. It is not a strong caffeine jolt--I find it provides just a nice amount of stimulation to help me stay 'on task.'
:sage:
Regards,
T
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings tsuzumi,
tsuzumi wrote:Does tea figure in the Theravadan practice?
I met a monk once who said "it's always time for tea"... but I think that had more to do with him being Sri Lankan than it did with him being a Theravada monk. 8-)

As for the suttas, I can't think of any references to tea off the top of my head.

:coffee:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, by the way.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

David N. Snyder wrote:No expectations.

If I have a sitting and I feel relaxed during and/or after the meditation session, I'm happy.

For beginners, it is common to judge each session as good or bad (and it's usually judged as bad), but as we continue with the practice, I think it is best to drop the judgments and expectations.
i'm with you on what makes me happy, but your 2nd part though i see it in others was completely backwards for me.. maybe in the beginning i didnt expect too much? or maybe now i feel i havent progressed enough? who knows
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
tsuzumi

Post by tsuzumi »

Thanks for the welcome, Retro!

After posting, I realized that there is a kind of Pavlovian aspect to the tea--when I drink it, my mind is going 'Tea? That means it's time for meditation!' Then, I realized there are other preparations that have a similar effect--straightening up the meditation space, cleaning the altar, preparing and lighting the incense and candles--plus I have a routine of stretching and light exercises that all contribute to signalling the mind that 'it is time.'

Another factor: I threw my TV away a couple of years ago. Also, I never use a headphone stereo. I think these two influences may be hindering a lot of people with a constant sensory buzz. Lots of people use the headphones on the train/subway--I just meditate. I think these have contributed to a noticeable mellowing of my personality, but it may just be the result of aging?! :tongue:

Regards,
T
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Given that those Pavlovian factors exist tsuzumi, and they certainly do, I think it behoves us to utilise them to positive ends rather than simply regarding them as irrelevant or even somehow dangerous. The problem comes when the conditioned response is seen as explaining a range of functions that are clearly not a result of simple operant conditioning. But yes, in my case I also have a mug of tea to hand, but it is strong Yorkshire tea at room temperature. Retros remark about for Si Lankans its always tea time is also true of Brits. I light incense also and arrange my cushions, to send a message to my discursive mind that its meditation time, dont bother me for a while.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

:juggling: :broke: :woohoo: :popcorn: :woohoo: :broke: :juggling: :thinking: :popcorn: :smile:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Retro
Interesting question!

After having a think about it, for me any 'unit of practice' be it meditation or something else (dana, listening to dhamma, keeping precepts) would be a success if
it led to a change in myself
temporary or permanent
towards reducing craving, aversion or delusion.

I think it is important to know what craving, aversion and delusion is, then know what it feels like in the mind (and it's manifestations in speech and actions) and be able to determine whether the practice is having a beneficial effect. Otherwise without this internal appraisal you might as well be pouring water into barrel without a bottom. So in that sense I think it is important to know whether a unit of practice is 'successful' ie leading to where you want it to go- but that does not mean clinging to the results. IMO however it would be better to cling to the results ('caga'- it gives rise to effort) rather that practising not know what you are practising for.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
effort

Post by effort »

i think The secret to a successful meditation session is ....

to let it go...

ps: i heard it somewhere i think!!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi All,

I just got back from my first weekend meditation retreat led by Ajahn Cittapalo. I think one of the most important thing I learned there was that "there is no way to peace, peace is the way". In other words, it doesn't matter what you experience in meditation so much, just make peace with it (call it metta and uppekha if you like), that way you are creating good meditation kamma and avoiding creating bad meditation kamma. Even if thoughts and feelings based on the defilements arise it is better, in my opinion, to just be aware of them in terms of anatta and anicca rather than to identify with them and think "oh no I am a failure at meditation, I still have strong cravings, I still have lots of ill-will". Even when mindfulness isn't all that strong, just make peace with dull-mindedness.

Still nothing original to add to the topic, but for me it seems to be an important point that can't be over-stated.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice post, Guy!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

I am not one for pre-meditation rituals (I don't like any smelly things like incense and why lit candles when I close my eyes anyway?). All I use to prepare is a body-scan to relax the physical body and focus the mind. Otherwise I go with what acinteyyo wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:This always has been very helpful for me:

1. take some time before you start the meditation session to allow the mind to calm down naturally from the stirring "outside-world" and its commitments (e.g. do a brief chanting or something else which helps the mind to turn towards a supporting attitude for the planed meditation)

2. think about or contemplate on what you are going to do at this meditation session (e.g. metta-bhavana, anapanasati, kayanupassana, vedananukpassana, objects, anicca-dukkha-anatta, 4NT, dependent origination, samatha, vipassana and so on...) and go for one particular task (except in case if you use for example metta-bhavana as a preparatory work to initially calm down the mind (point 1) and then you go on to do anapanasati (point 3), that's also okay)

3. when you feel readily prepared, leave all the worldly commitments aside and keep in mind that your only exercise for the time you meditate will be the meditation - your total commitment is required - don't allow anything to disturb you while meditating and remind yourself if necessary that except for the planed task nothing else will be your business from the moment on when you started your meditation

4. meditate

5. you shouldn't stand up directly after meditation and immediately resume worldly live. take some time after you finished meditation and try to maintain the state of mind for some time. you maybe get the chance to observe how the mind gradually withdraws from the state developed in meditation

best wishes, acinteyyo
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

I don't think there is anything wrong in trying to set up certain conditions for a meditation session to be more "successful," however you are defining success. In fact this is what Sila is all about, isn't it?

If I'm judging meditative success based on the factors like tranquility, etc. sila is probably the main thing. Also proper moderation in exercise, food, caffeine, sleep, television, radio, and having a clean house. I'm not a huge advocate of feng shui but it does at least seem that having a messy house reflects somehow internally, and if one is messy the other will be messy. Props like incense, etc. are helpful pavlovian sort of devices, but the trick is not to get too attached to them. I do use incense and a candle on my altar as it just kind of establishes "this is the time for meditation and not for other activities."

-M
RayfieldNeel

Post by RayfieldNeel »

I've never had a "pre-meditative" ritual, but as a result of this thread I've begun experimenting with doing a brief metta prior to sitting. First impressions are that I start in a "clearer" place, if that makes any sense.
Guy

Post by Guy »

meindzai wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong in trying to set up certain conditions for a meditation session to be more "successful," however you are defining success. In fact this is what Sila is all about, isn't it?

If I'm judging meditative success based on the factors like tranquility, etc. sila is probably the main thing. Also proper moderation in exercise, food, caffeine, sleep, television, radio, and having a clean house. I'm not a huge advocate of feng shui but it does at least seem that having a messy house reflects somehow internally, and if one is messy the other will be messy. Props like incense, etc. are helpful pavlovian sort of devices, but the trick is not to get too attached to them. I do use incense and a candle on my altar as it just kind of establishes "this is the time for meditation and not for other activities."

-M
:goodpost:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm