Slaughterhouse workers

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Slaughterhouse workers

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

It is perfectly acceptable to Buddha for a lay person to cultivate for their own benefit solely or for the benefit of others also.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN8_26.html

So it turns on 'encouragement of others' or not to encourage. One needs to ponder on when 'encouragement of others' becomes harassment or proselytizing.

If the other person(s) says leave me be, that is a clear response and should be heeded.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

befriend wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm If you google the amount of animals one person consumes in a lifetime of 80 years it says 7,000, not sure if that's correct but that's a good impetus to be vegetarian with the thought that being a vegetarian I can refrain from indirectly supporting the killing of 7,000 animals.

:goodpost:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Aloka wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm
befriend wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm If you google the amount of animals one person consumes in a lifetime of 80 years it says 7,000, not sure if that's correct but that's a good impetus to be vegetarian with the thought that being a vegetarian I can refrain from indirectly supporting the killing of 7,000 animals.
:goodpost:
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

Aloka wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:07 am
anthbrown84 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm
Aloka wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:37 pm If the Buddha ate meat, it doesn't make it ok for me, because I don't presume to be on the same level as a Buddha, nor do I want to eat the dead bodies of other beings. Why don't people who like eating meat eat the bodies of dead humans from hospitals and morgues? It would save a lot of animal suffering.

Death by clubbing: the brutality of Thailand's pig slaughterhouses
"Humane killing practices are virtually unknown in the majority of Thailand’s abattoirs, say campaigners, with millions of pigs dying in pain."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... hterhouses

Please, let's keep the judgement off this forum

Plenty of virtuous people eat meat...if it was so bad to eat meat The Buddha, who's Vinaya is perfect, said it's ok to eat meat as long as it wasnt killed specifically for you.

So just leave it be.... you're a vegan, be proud of it, but don't compare me eating a beef red curry to cannibalism haha

The Buddha allowed monks to do one of them, the other one is a gate way to hell. He said so himself, if someone eats human meat they go to hell... not animal meat, human... BIG difference

Oh... and a little vegan joke for you

How do you tell if someone is a vegan?

They tell you...... :rofl:

Time to practice what you preach and stop judging me, then,"Ant", as well as writing a spiteful vegan "joke".

I actually find your bossy,"holier than thou" attitude extremely boring, ......so perhaps the "ignore" facility is the best option for me.

Have a good day, :pig: :pig: :pig:

Thankyou for telling me that, I didnt realise I was being perceived as "holier than thou". I do appreciate it and I'll try tone it down a bit.

If that's how I come across its because I try to share the fruits of my practise with people, not to try and judge or look like I'm better than, simply to point in a direction that has helped me.

Hopefully you wont ignore me as it's a shame to fall out over differing views on meat :)

When my health allows me, I eat what could be called vegan 90% of the time. I put my wife through a lot being a strict buddhist and shes a meat eater, so taking away joint meals is not on my agenda any time soon. So I tend to eat vegan when I'm eating alone you see.

:)

Be well... and let's not do the whole ignoring thing, seems silly over an internet discussion.

Anth :)
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Kind to animals but unkind to human beings seems :toilet:
You always gain by giving
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sentinel wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 am Kind to animals but unkind to human beings seems :toilet:

Sentinel...."Simply talking a lot doesn't mean one is wise" (Dhp 258)

Good day. :hello:

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

:focus:

:popcorn:
You always gain by giving
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

sentinel wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 am :focus:

:popcorn:
Ok! :D

Another good article on the topic

"The harrowing psychological toll of slaughterhouse work"

"The psychological toll this takes on a person cannot be underestimated. Slaughterhouse work has been linked to a variety of disorders, including PTSD and the lesser-known PITS (perpetration-induced traumatic stress). It has also been connected to an increase in crime rates, including higher incidents of domestic abuse, as well as alcohol and drug abuse. And as the already huge demand for meat goes up, so too does the number of animals employees are required to kill on a daily basis."

"Yet among the general population, surprisingly little is known about the price these often low-wage workers pay so that others can enjoy meat in relative oblivion."

https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/31/how-kill ... to=cbshare

One part that I found particularly disturbing.

One hog sticker, Ed Van Winkle, was quoted in the minutes of Tyson Foods Annual Shareholder Meeting in 2006 describing the work the dissociation slaughterers had to force upon themselves. He worked at Morrell slaughterhouse in Sioux City, in the US state of Iowa. ‘The worst thing, worse than the physical danger [of on-the-job accidents] is the emotional toll,’ Winkle said. ‘Pigs down on the kill floor have come up and nuzzled me like a puppy. Two minutes later I had to kill them – beat them to death with a pipe. I can’t care.’

I don't know how anyone can be ok with asking another person to do that for them.