Refuge is taken in the not-good Dhamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Refuge is taken in the not-good Dhamma

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Leaving "Theravada" aside, for the time being...

The Suttas are pre-sectarian. The Suttas are Good Dhamma.

In fact, I would say any Dhamma which is adequate to enable one hearing it to achieve stream-entry constitutes Good Dhamma.

If the OP believes the above sources are so corrupted that stream-entry is impossible, then I guess that's one position that a person could take. I happen to be far less pessimistic in that regard.

When I "take refuge" in the Dhamma, I am taking refuge in the Dhamma, as expounded in the Sutta Pitaka (minus any early commentaries that were smuggled into KN). I believe it is good.

:anjali: :reading:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Germann

Buddha was mistaken

Post by Germann »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 pm

The Suttas are pre-sectarian. The Suttas are Good Dhamma.
Suttas exist today. That is, Buddha was mistaken in limiting the life of the Dhamma to 500 years.
retrofuturist

Re: Buddha was mistaken

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Germann,
Germann wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 am Suttas exist today. That is, Buddha was mistaken in limiting the life of the Dhamma to 500 years.
Sutta source or it didn't happen.

:popcorn:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Germann

Sutta source

Post by Germann »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:56 am
Sutta source or it didn't happen.
Sutta source - Bhikkhu Bodhi "The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya." 2012 - p. 1192.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Samantapasadika Atthakatha I: 231

Post by DNS »

Germann wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 pm
DNS wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm
Germann wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:12 pm Refuge is taken in the not-good Dhamma. According to Theravada, the good Dhamma lasted only five hundred years.
According to the Commentaries, since extra rules were added for bhikkhunis the Dhamma Dispensation would last much longer, at least 5,000 years. So there's still another 2400 to 2500 years to go.
5000 years is unreliable, because Sutta claims 500 years.
Your issue is with Theravada. But according to Theravada, the Commentaries are included.
retrofuturist

Re: Sutta source

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Germann,
Germann wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 am Sutta source - Bhikkhu Bodhi "The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya." 2012 - p. 1192.
Can you please share the accompanying footnote too?

Thank you.

Metta,
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Even if you assume we are not in the age of the "good Dhamma", and even if you conclude that this means attainment is impossible (I do not believe this by the way), wouldn't the quality of future rebirths give sufficient cause to practice as best as you possibly can? In other words, there is still no good reason to abandon the remnants of Dhamma you have, or even to retreat one inch - ultimately, you need to get beyond this dilemma.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

There is a conflation of The Dhamma and text knowing. IMO they are not the same. IOW IMO the Buddha talked about the teaching in action or practice. It is correct that in 500 years it had pretty much disappeared from India. We are now experiencing a revival sourced from a few places where it has been maintained in the interim.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Is the notion "the good Dhamma will last 500 years only" belongs to the good dhamma?

If it does, then the notion "the good dhamma will last 500 years only" would be wrong.

If it does not, then the notion "the good dhamma will last 500 years only" would also be wrong.

Can anyone see the absurdity of quoting a fragment of a bigger body of information to debunk/question the validity of the whole body of information?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
robertk

Post by robertk »

As DNS already pointed out
the Buddha said that because of creating the Bhikkhuni Sangha this sasana would last only five hundred years. But because of his adding the eight weighty rules the commentaries explain it would last 5000 years.
Other commentaries say that the rehearsal of the texts at the first council also made it possible to last 5000 years.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:17 pm Is the notion "the good Dhamma will last 500 years only" belongs to the good dhamma?

If it does, then the notion "the good dhamma will last 500 years only" would be wrong.

If it does not, then the notion "the good dhamma will last 500 years only" would also be wrong.

Can anyone see the absurdity of quoting a fragment of a bigger body of information to debunk/question the validity of the whole body of information?
:goodpost: :thumbsup:

As I said above, an absolute reliance on scripture is logically incoherent, as it undercuts itself. One always needs a reason from outside scripture in order to justify that reliance.
Germann

Atthakatha

Post by Germann »

DNS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:19 am
Germann wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 pm
DNS wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm

According to the Commentaries, since extra rules were added for bhikkhunis the Dhamma Dispensation would last much longer, at least 5,000 years. So there's still another 2400 to 2500 years to go.
5000 years is unreliable, because Sutta claims 500 years.
Your issue is with Theravada. But according to Theravada, the Commentaries are included.
The Commentaries - Atthakatha - in case of discrepancies return to the text of the Sutta.

"For it is individual opinion that is certainly weakest of all; the view of the teachers is firmer, but is also should fit with the principles of Sutta; when it fits and agrees with this it should be accepted, otherwise it should not; the principles of Sutta are firmer than the view of the teachers." (Samantapasadika Atthakatha I: 231)
Germann

Sutta source

Post by Germann »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 am Greetings Germann,
Germann wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 am Sutta source - Bhikkhu Bodhi "The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya." 2012 - p. 1192.
Can you please share the accompanying footnote too?
https://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Discou ... 1614290407
Germann

Helena Blavatsky

Post by Germann »

sunnat wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:54 am There is a conflation of The Dhamma and text knowing. IMO they are not the same. IOW IMO the Buddha talked about the teaching in action or practice. It is correct that in 500 years it had pretty much disappeared from India. We are now experiencing a revival sourced from a few places where it has been maintained in the interim.
Helena Blavatsky taught about the secret brotherhood of the guardians of knowledge. Her collaborator Henry Steel Olcott created the popular Sri Lankan Buddhist flag.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Atthakatha

Post by DNS »

Germann wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:56 pm The Commentaries - Atthakatha - in case of discrepancies return to the text of the Sutta.

"For it is individual opinion that is certainly weakest of all; the view of the teachers is firmer, but is also should fit with the principles of Sutta; when it fits and agrees with this it should be accepted, otherwise it should not; the principles of Sutta are firmer than the view of the teachers." (Samantapasadika Atthakatha I: 231)
Yes, I agree with that, however, in this case there is no discrepancy, the Commentaries explain why it is not 500 years for the time of the Dispensation; therefore, there is no discrepancy.