8 Precepts - bare minimum frequency

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Dharmasherab

8 Precepts - bare minimum frequency

Post by Dharmasherab »

This is just a question where I am asking for a confirmation.

To my knowledge, it is recommended for lay Buddhists to follow the 8 Precepts at least 4 times a month, ideally based on the phases of the moon.

But sometimes such days don't nicely fall into weekends, where they are like normal working days. In such circumstances, is it commendable to follow them during the weekend or a non-working holiday during the month?

How often per month or year as a bare minimum, should we follow the 8 Precepts?
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
char101

Re: 8 Precepts - bare minimum frequency

Post by char101 »

Observance of the 8 precepts at the moon phases is a tradition. It isn't that there is any problem if you follow it on any other day. Also asking the minimum about of observing it does not really make sense, it isn't that one is going to die if the one does not practice it. It is good kamma and good practice, the more you practice it the better. The minimum is 0, but that also mean that you won't get any benefit. When chasing benefit, don't strive for the minimum, strive for the maximum amount you can and will do.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

the uposatha is the 8th, 14th and 15th of every lunar fortnight, and you should keep them on the correct days and not change them.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

In Burma it is on the new and full moon. No matter where you are you can know these days (nights) to reasonable accuracy even in solitude. There is no magic. By rigorously obeying an external edict and not ones own inclinations it's possible to get the benefit that comes from doing things as meditating mendicant or lay irrespective of ones own inclinations for whatever reason.
manas

Post by manas »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:14 am the uposatha is the 8th, 14th and 15th of every lunar fortnight, and you should keep them on the correct days and not change them.
Hello,
I thought the standard, was to practice the uposatha on the full & new moon days, in accordance with where the moon is, in one's own locale? Does that accord with the above, though?
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi all,

I practice using Wat Metta's calendar as there as a number of ways to calculate the days. Today is an uposatha and I'm observing. Wishing all beings the chance to meet with the Dhamma and to practice it. Mettacittena!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

char101 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 am Observance of the 8 precepts at the moon phases is a tradition. It isn't that there is any problem if you follow it on any other day. Also asking the minimum about of observing it does not really make sense, it isn't that one is going to die if the one does not practice it. It is good kamma and good practice, the more you practice it the better. The minimum is 0, but that also mean that you won't get any benefit. When chasing benefit, don't strive for the minimum, strive for the maximum amount you can and will do.
I agree. Practicing it on specific dates sounds like attachment to rites, rituals . . . but if it helps disciple some, then it's good.

In ancient times, people didn't have calendars on their iPhone or even a desktop paper one, so they looked up to the moon. Now we have calendars at our fingertips. I'd say practice it as much as you can, even if it's beyond 4 times per month. Or if one wants specific dates, one could just do it on every Sunday or every Saturday (easy days to remember and most of us don't work on those days anyway).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Practicing it on specific dates sounds like attachment to rites, rituals
No.
Clinging to rites and rituals means, the thought that certain practices lead to Nibbana.
For instance, if a person thinks that observing five precepts or giving donations alone leads to Nibbana is clinging to rites and rituals.
Or if a person think that observing 8 precepts on a particular day leads to Nibbana is clinging to rites and rituals.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”