Is "expedient means" explicitly taught in the abhidhamma?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
daveblack

Is "expedient means" explicitly taught in the abhidhamma?

Post by daveblack »

Because I've noticed that many Theravadins use this concept that is clearly Mahayana from the Lotus Sutra. Is this just a result of Westernization mixing schools up? or is it in the Abhidhamma, because I don't see it in the suttas.
SDC

Re: Is "expedient means" explicitly taught in the abhidhamma?

Post by SDC »

daveblack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm Because I've noticed that many Theravadins use this concept that is clearly Mahayana from the Lotus Sutra. Is this just a result of Westernization mixing schools up? or is it in the Abhidhamma, because I don't see it in the suttas.
In what context is it being used by Theravadins?
"Remembering the meditators of old, and recollecting their conduct, even in the latter days, it’s still possible to realize the deathless." -Thag 16.10
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

daveblack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm Because I've noticed that many Theravadins use this concept that is clearly Mahayana from the Lotus Sutra. Is this just a result of Westernization mixing schools up? or is it in the Abhidhamma, because I don't see it in the suttas.
Do you mean skillful means? (upàya kusala)

See:
http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=383

It is in Theravada too, although not nearly emphasized as much as it is in the Mahayana.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Abhidhamma has to do with aggregates, elements, sense-bases, dependent arising, etc., when these are expounded as such, rather than in relation to living beings.

Upaya has to do with skilful teaching tactics that are appropriate to the disciple's condition, like the Buddha promising the besotted Nanda five hundred celestial nymphs if he remains a monk.

The two things don't really have anything to do with each other, unless it happens that the upaya consists in teaching someone Abhidhamma.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta