Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
polo

Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism

Post by polo »

Any members of the forum here find the following Buddhist sect kind of "Mumbo Jumbo" ? They are the following: Japanese Nicheren Soka Gakkai
Tibetan Buddhism
Certain Chinese Buddhist Sect(so many of them -under different names).
By Mumbo Jumbo I mean they no longer really following the real teaching of Buddha they have formulated too much rituals and too many stories and mythology attached to their teachings. It is the rituals and performance of certain rites that I feel make them "Mumbo Jumbo".
Well, I am just asking. No bad intentions - would love to hear views from pure Theravadins.
SarathW

Re: Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism

Post by SarathW »

Until we attain Nibbana (at least Sotapanna) we all do Mumbo Jumbo!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings polo,

If I'm reading you correctly, your concerns relate less to "view", and more to "rites and rituals"... is the correct?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
polo

Post by polo »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:43 am Greetings polo,

If I'm reading you correctly, your concerns relate less to "view", and more to "rites and rituals"... is the correct?

Metta,
oui, c'est ça
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

I wonder to what degree it might be conducive for one's own practice to ponder practices of others.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SDC

Post by SDC »

polo wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am ...
By Mumbo Jumbo I mean they no longer really following the real teaching of Buddha they have formulated too much rituals and too many stories and mythology attached to their teachings. It is the rituals and performance of certain rites that I feel make them "Mumbo Jumbo".
Well, I am just asking. No bad intentions - would love to hear views from pure Theravadins.
Theravada falls into your criteria of mumbo jumbo. I think it is very hard for most people to take the risk that comes from deep contemplation, so they find a version of Buddhism or manner of practice that allows them to use the practice as just another thing in life that they hold dear. Granted there is much good to come from that, but to follow the path to the end is the greatest good.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

polo wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am Any members of the forum here find the following Buddhist sect kind of "Mumbo Jumbo" ? They are the following: Japanese Nicheren Soka Gakkai
Tibetan Buddhism
Certain Chinese Buddhist Sect(so many of them -under different names).
There are huge number of SGI members here. Their face lights up when they hear I am a Buddhist. Shortly thereafter I inform them that I do not consider what they follow to be Buddhism in any way, shape or form; that I would have some respect if they were pure Nichiren but SGI is a fake sect.

It is so annoying to hear nutcases claim they are Buddhists.

OTOH they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty. But I refuse to exploit the Buddha or Dhamma as pretext for meeting a woman.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

OTOH they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty. But I refuse to exploit the Buddha or Dhamma as pretext for meeting a woman.
Don't you think it is a great idea to find a like-minded partner?
Like minded ?!! :thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 pmDon't you think it is a great idea to find a like-minded partner?
*gasp*
What if she outsmartens him?!
:tongue:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,
No_Mind wrote:It is so annoying to hear nutcases claim they are Buddhists.
No_Mind wrote:OTOH they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty. But I refuse to exploit the Buddha or Dhamma as pretext for meeting a woman.
SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 pmDon't you think it is a great idea to find a like-minded partner?
Like minded ?!! :thinking:
Are you calling No_Mind a "nutcase"?

:lol:

That's not very nice. :tongue:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
binocular

Post by binocular »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 pmAre you calling No_Mind a "nutcase"?
He should try with exploiting women in order to meet the Buddha/Dhamma. That ought to be interesting!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

No_Mind comes here in good faith, sharing his struggles openly. I think he deserve to be replied in kind, rather than ridiculed.
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings.
binocular wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:36 pm
retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 pmAre you calling No_Mind a "nutcase"?
He should try with exploiting women in order to meet the Buddha/Dhamma. That ought to be interesting!
Well, unfortunately, that does appear to be a feature of so-called Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism.

Good that No_Mind has the Dhamma-skills to identify and steer clear of it.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dan74,
Dan74 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 pm No_Mind comes here in good faith, sharing his struggles openly. I think he deserve to be replied in kind, rather than ridiculed.
No one is ridiculing anyone. Your humourless white-knighting is misplaced.

Kind regards.

Metta,
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 pm Greetings Dan74,
Dan74 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 pm No_Mind comes here in good faith, sharing his struggles openly. I think he deserve to be replied in kind, rather than ridiculed.
No one is ridiculous anyone. Your humourless white-knighting is misplaced.

Kind regards.

Metta,
I can certainly depend on you to expand my vocab, Paul. I clearly see ridiculing, but will leave it to No_Mind to comment.
_/|\_