A Glimmer of Light

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

Re: A Glimmer of Light

Post by rowyourboat »

Our ignorance is as thick as concrete. Insight need 'working into' the mind for there to be progress along the stages of insight. Or to put it in another way, anicca needs to be repeatedly, continuously seen for minutes, hours, days. It helps to choose a meditation object which changes quite a lot and be mindful of it. It becomes symbolic of everything in existence -impermanance. Stay focused on it's impermanant nature- not anything else like it's colour, sound or duration. You could use the breath or do bare awareness (stimuli from all 6 sense bases one after the other). I find the latter more helpful in striking anicca home as it show anicca in everything we could possibly be attached to. This work is not easy, but the Buddha found the way to freedom through something which normal humans wouldn't want to even look at.

Don't forget precepts and samadhi.

Best of luck with your practice!
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Collective

Post by Collective »

Thanks all

After I finish my meditation kit on vipassana, I would like to read a book on Samhadi, the meditation that nurtures states of jhana. Not vipassana. Just so I can make the distinction between the 2 - and find which works best for me. Could someone please suggest a good book on jhana?

Thank you :namaste:
DorjePhurba

Post by DorjePhurba »

Collective, I'd recommend you read Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine. It's the best book I've read on jhana and I've gone through the most popular. Just remember that not everything is 100 percent the way the author says it is. There is some room for interpretation, so just keep that in mind. I would definetly suggest you try some jhana practice as jhana is what the Buddha called right concentration and it makes the development of wisdom. I respect those who do vipassana, but I think jhana is undervalued, which I believe is largely due to some traditions reliance on certain texts. Anyhow, if you are interested in a fantastic overview of the Buddhas path to awakening then check out "the wings to awakening" by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Hope this helps my friend.

With metta,
Chris
bodom

Post by bodom »

Collective wrote:Thanks all

After I finish my meditation kit on vipassana, I would like to read a book on Samhadi, the meditation that nurtures states of jhana. Not vipassana. Just so I can make the distinction between the 2 - and find which works best for me. Could someone please suggest a good book on jhana?

Thank you :namaste:
Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory Guide to Deeper States of Meditation Bhante Henepola Gunaratana,
http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Collective

Post by Collective »

Would this be any good: MB&B

Thanks all
Collective

Post by Collective »

DorjePhurba wrote:Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine. Just remember that not everything is 100 percent the way the author says it is. There is some room for interpretation, so just keep that in mind.
Chris
Thank you for the recommendations

I was wondering what you meant by not taking everything 100% What if I interprate things incorrectly?
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

In my opinion, Focused and Fearless is probably the one you should get first. Shaila does a good job of describing and guiding you through the aspects of jhana in general, where Brahm's book is pretty focused on his particular perspective. Perhaps take a look at this thread? http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for trying not to interpret things incorrectly, you've got to remedy that possibility by gathering as much information as you can on the subject and supplementing it with plenty of personal meditative experience. Meditation and the jhanas are something of a subjective thing, so you need to learn what phenomena accompany the deepening of concentration for you personally. I think there's more than enough good information out there that when mixed with a diligent practice, can give results.
DorjePhurba

Post by DorjePhurba »

Thank you for the recommendations

I was wondering what you meant by not taking everything 100% What if I interprate things incorrectly?
Like the last poster said, you have to gather information for yourself and figure things out based upon looking for good sources of information. What I mean by what I said was that most books on jhana offer certain perspectives on jhana and there are quite a few. For instance, you brought up the book by Ajahn Brahm 'Mindfuless, Bliss and Beyond'. Now I have great respect for Ajahn Brahm and I do agree with much of what he says, but when it comes to jhana we see things differently. Ajahn Brahm holds the Vissudhimagga (which you can consider a commentary and explanation of what the Buddha meant on different topics) to be authoritative. I, on the other hand, do not consider the Vissudhimagga to be to be right when it comes to the issue of jhana. It says quite a few things that seem to be quite off on what the Buddha said and did and the main problem is that it seems to make the first jhana more like the fourth or perhaps formless jhanas of the suttas.So, having read Ajahn Brahm's book I'd say it's not my first choice on jhana. Although it does have some good parts in it about why jhana is important. The trouble is that it's really only a small portion of the book. To be fair Shaila Catherine uses the Vissdudhimagga, but seems to rely more on the suttas and her idea of jhana seems closer IMO to the suttas than other books I've read. Ven. Gunaratana's book is good too. I've read it and it's a good intro, but I don't think it contains enough depth. If you can purchase both Shaila's book and Ven. Gunaratana's then I think you would be on good ground to understand what jhana is all about. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I hope again this may be of some benefit to you.

With metta,
Chris
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Not to go off-topic, but I think it is a little too far to throw out the whole visuddhimagga, rather it might be said that it's not so good when it comes to anapanasati samatha practice. This essay is good on this topic: http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed058.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DorjePhurba

Post by DorjePhurba »

Kenshou wrote:Not to go off-topic, but I think it is a little too far to throw out the whole visuddhimagga, rather it might be said that it's not so good when it comes to anapanasati samatha practice. This essay is good on this topic: http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed058.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed, I don't want anyone to think the VM is useless. I just think that when it comes to jhana it's not particularly correct. My apologies if I didn't make that clear enough as I'm sure the VM is useful on the path to Awakening.

With metta,
Chris
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Collective wrote:Would this be any good: MB&B
It's also a good book, and you can read the basic instructions part of it here: http://www.bswa.org/zencart/index.php?m ... a40376daa0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and listen to guided meditations from Ajahn Brahm on the same site.

Shaila's book may be more useful for someone coming from more of an "insight meditation" perspective.
Here are some previous discussions:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike