Is Abhidhamma the highest wisdom?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
bodom

Is Abhidhamma the highest wisdom?

Post by bodom »

I have ordered Bhikkhu Bodhi's A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma and am looking forward to starting my studies on the Abhidhamma. I have heard or read somewhere that Abhidhamma is the highest or most profound wisdom offered in the Buddhasasana, though I cant recall where. For those familiar with Abhidhamma would you agree with this? Could it be said the third training in panna consists of realisation of Abhidhamma? I understand that the training in panna includes realisation of the Noble Truths, kamma etc. but am curious where Abhidhamma fits in with right view and thinking as defined by the Buddha in the Noble Path.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Re: Is Abhidhamma the highest wisdom?

Post by Ben »

Hi Bodom

Abhidhamma, as far as my rudimentary understanding goes, means 'higher dhamma' and it is an exposition on the nature of paramattha dhammas (ultimate realities).
Do I agree with it? Its not something that I have an opinion about.
Have I benefited from my exploration into the Abhidhamma via Bhikkhu Bodhi's "A comprehensive manual"?
Undoubtedly. It has deepened my understanding of the Dhamma, not just on the intellectual level, but its also affected my practice.
I'm very much a practice-oriented person, so for me, the development of panna is about the development of bhavana-maya-panna that special wisdom vipassana that arises from penetrating the nature of nama and rupa by the choiceless observation of dhammas. Pariyatti is extraordinarily important, but for me, it goes hand-in-hand with patipatti (practice).
I hope that at least is another practitioner's perspective and i wish you all the very best with your exploration via CMA. I also recommend, at some stage following CMA, to have a read of Ledi Sayadaw's works published under the title of "Manuals of Dhamma". The Sayadaw was one of the greatest scholar monks of all time and an expert in the Abhidhamma.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pt1

Post by pt1 »

bodom wrote:I have ordered Bhikkhu Bodhi's A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma and am looking forward to starting my studies on the Abhidhamma. I have heard or read somewhere that Abhidhamma is the highest or most profound wisdom offered in the Buddhasasana, though I cant recall where. For those familiar with Abhidhamma would you agree with this? Could it be said the third training in panna consists of realisation of Abhidhamma? I understand that the training in panna includes realisation of the Noble Truths, kamma etc. but am curious where Abhidhamma fits in with right view and thinking as defined by the Buddha in the Noble Path.
I'd say that the highest wisdom in theravada would stand for insight that realises directly the four noble truths, dependent origination, anatta, etc. Abhidhamma I think is a name for the third pitaka, though there are occasions I think when the prefix abhi is used to signify a deeper understanding of a particular subject. Anyway, imo the way that the teachings are presented in the third pitaka (in particular the dhammasangani, vibhanga, dhatukatha and patthana) is as close as possible to the way that the "world" would be experienced by someone with developed insight.

In the commentaries, it's mentioned that vinaya pitaka is most useful for establishing sila, sutta pitaka for establishing samadhi, and abhidhamma pitaka for establishing the right view (wisdom), although of course all three pitakas cover all these matters in their own way. So, I think abhidhamma is all about the right view (wisdom), and thus, insight. In my case, I couldn't really understand what's meant by insight until starting with abhidhamma studies.

Anyway, ACMA is a great book to start with. If on occasions it seems too dry/technical, you can also try reading some of Nina Van Gorkom's books parallel to ACMA reading, as her books cover almost the same territory in a bit easier language. In particular:
Abhidhamma in daily life deals mostly with different types of cittas and general subjects
Cetasikas is all about individual cetasikas
Physical Phenomena is all about different types of rupas.

Best wishes
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,

I believe (though I'm happy to be corrected otherwise) it is deemed to be "abhi" (higher) because it does not approach the Dhamma from a person-based perspective, but solely in terms of the constituent aspects of experience. To that extent it is operating at a similar level to sutta teachings such as the five aggregates, six sense bases and such that do not impute a person (which of course, in a higher sense, does not actually exist per se).

Therefore, not the "highest wisdom" as in superior to the Buddha's sutta teachings, but the Dhamma viewed from this higher (non-personified) standpoint.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

bodom wrote:Could it be said the third training in panna consists of realisation of Abhidhamma?

I have a tough time with the word 'realization' here...and although my grasp of the topic is admittedly limited, I think it's more a case of understanding rather than realization...could be context, semantics...or me...just saying... :smile:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thank you for the clarification and input.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB