/study-psychiatric-diagnoses-are-scientifically-meaningless

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
robertk

/study-psychiatric-diagnoses-are-scientifically-meaningless

Post by robertk »

https://www.studyfinds.org/study-psychi ... aningless/
Study: Psychiatric Diagnoses Are ‘Scientifically Meaningless’ In Treating Mental Health
by John Anderer
SHARES
Tweet

LIVERPOOL, England — No two people are exactly alike. Therefore, attempting to classify each unique individual’s mental health issues into neat categories just doesn’t work. That’s the claim coming out of the United Kingdom that is sure to ruffle some psychologists’ feathers.

More people are being diagnosed with mental illnesses than ever before. Multiple factors can be attributed to this rise; many people blame the popularity of social media and increased screen time, but it is also worth considering that in today’s day and age more people may be willing to admit they are having mental health issues in the first place. Whatever the reason, it is generally believed that a psychiatric diagnosis is the first step to recovery.

That’s why a new study conducted at the University of Liverpool has raised eyebrows by concluding that psychiatric diagnoses are “scientifically meaningless,” and worthless as tools to accurately identify and address mental distress at an individual level.

Researchers performed a detailed analysis on five of the most important chapters in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Heath Disorders (DSM). The DSM is considered the definitive guide for mental health professionals, and provides descriptions for all mental health problems and their symptoms. The five chapters analyzed were: bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, and trauma-related disorders.

!

Researchers came to a number of troubling conclusions. First, the study’s authors assert that there is a significant amount of overlap in symptoms between disorder diagnoses, despite the fact that each diagnosis utilizes different decision rules. Additionally, these diagnoses completely ignore the role of trauma or other unique adverse events a person may encounter in their life.

Perhaps most concerning of all, researchers say that these diagnoses tell us little to nothing about the individual patient and what type of treatments they will need. The authors ultimately conclude that this diagnostic labeling approach is “a disingenuous categorical system.”

“Although diagnostic labels create the illusion of an explanation they are scientifically meaningless and can create stigma and prejudice. I hope these findings will encourage mental health professionals to think beyond diagnoses and consider other explanations of mental distress, such as trauma and other adverse life experiences.” Lead researcher Dr. Kate Allsopp explains in a release.

According to the study’s authors, the traditional diagnostic system being used today wrongly assumes that any and all mental distress is caused by a disorder, and relies far too heavily on subjective ideas about what is considered “normal.”

“Perhaps it is time we stopped pretending that medical-sounding labels contribute anything to our understanding of the complex causes of human distress or of what kind of help we need when distressed.” Professor John Read comments.

The study is published in the scientific journal Psychiatry Research.
SarathW

Re: /study-psychiatric-diagnoses-are-scientifically-meaningless

Post by SarathW »

attempting to classify each unique individual’s mental health issues into neat categories just doesn’t work.
In my opinion, Buddha classify mental health issues into neat categories namely attachment, aversion and ignorance.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
robertk

Post by robertk »

SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:22 am
attempting to classify each unique individual’s mental health issues into neat categories just doesn’t work.
In my opinion, Buddha classify mental health issues into neat categories namely attachment, aversion and ignorance.
:namaste: Yes.
Of course there can be extreme cases and urgent events in peoples lives where care is needed.
But the fact, according to the article, that more and more people are labelled mentally ill- despite more medicines, more doctors, more information -could indicate the psychiatric game is a bit hit and miss.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I could ask 5 different doctors what my diagnosis is and get 5 different answers. My teacher said if you keep making good kamma you will meet the right doctor and find the right medicine and she was right i made good kamma and am now on helpful medicine.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

I have had schizophrenia for 13 years. It took me a long time to believe it (one of the symptoms is denial/ failure to recognize you're sick) but I now believe it is an accurate diagnosis for me. I used to be anti psychiatry but now I realize I might have met an inauspicious end if it weren't for the meds.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

tamdrin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 am I have had schizophrenia for 13 years. It took me a long time to believe it (one of the symptoms is denial/ failure to recognize you're sick) but I now believe it is an accurate diagnosis for me. I used to be anti psychiatry but now I realize I might have met an inauspicious end if it weren't for the meds.
I totally agree with you. Psychiatry has helped many people, and we do have the tendency to be in denial.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I think it is wrong to assume that mental illness is nothing but an especially strong hindrance in the Buddhist sense, which then implies that people who suffer from mental illness are just more deluded that the rest of us.

Mental illness has a variety of causes. It can be caused by severe early trauma, for instance, which the same approach as above often ascribes to bad kamma… It's a sad sad way to look at mental illness, IMO.
_/|\_
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Dan74 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:52 pm Mental illness has a variety of causes. It can be caused by severe early trauma, for instance, which the same approach as above often ascribes to bad kamma… It's a sad sad way to look at mental illness, IMO.
I don't think that the view 'variety of causes' excludes the view 'caused by karma' because even 'early trauma' may be seen as a karmic effect. However a view of 'bad karma' may be contaminated with ignorant self-view and imaginations of 'retribution' and 'sin' or 'guilt' and thus be an inappropriate view lacking empathy.

:anjali:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mental illness has a variety of causes. It can be caused by severe early trauma, for instance, which the same approach as above often ascribes to bad kamma… It's a sad sad way to look at mental illness, IMO.
Agree.
But I was thinking about the modern depression related to abuse of drugs and the use of facebook etc.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
alfa

Post by alfa »

Dan74 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:52 pm

I think it is wrong to assume that mental illness is nothing but an especially strong hindrance in the Buddhist sense, which then implies that people who suffer from mental illness are just more deluded that the rest of us.

It's even worse. It's like blaming the victim when they're already in pain.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

befriend wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 am My teacher said if you keep making good kamma you will meet the right doctor and find the right medicine and she was right i made good kamma and am now on helpful medicine.
Agree but not always so because it depends on other conditions .
SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:50 pm
I don't think that the view 'variety of causes' excludes the view 'caused by karma' because even 'early trauma' may be seen as a karmic effect. However a view of 'bad karma' may be contaminated with ignorant self-view and imaginations of 'retribution' and 'sin' or 'guilt' and thus be an inappropriate view lacking empathy.

:anjali:
I don't think someone else empathy could cure you , though not denying it does encourage one to be positive . It is difficult to accept karma , but sometimes accepting is important before one can move on .
You always gain by giving
binocular

Post by binocular »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:37 pmI totally agree with you. Psychiatry has helped many people, and we do have the tendency to be in denial.
Not agreeing with something that one has been accused of doesn't automatically make one being in denial.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

binocular wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:23 pm Not agreeing with something that one has been accused of doesn't automatically make one being in denial.
Hello binocular,

I spoke of our tendency to be in denial, that does not translate into automatically being in denial.

I used to find the anti psychiatry movement appealing due to my own bias that the individual is the source of all meaning. From that perspective, i used to view psychiatry as another mean in which the mob is trying to control the individual.

When i began to see the futility of this kind of rebellion, and that the mob is eventually wiser than the individual in determining worldly affairs and what constitutes sanity, i began to view psychiatry in a more positive way.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

binocular

Post by binocular »

Bundokji wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 pmI spoke of our tendency to be in denial, that does not translate into automatically being in denial.
Who decides whether a person is in denial?
The mob?
Whoever happenes to be in position of power (or their representative)?
I used to find the anti psychiatry movement appealing due to my own bias that the individual is the source of all meaning. From that perspective, i used to view psychiatry as another mean in which the mob is trying to control the individual.

When i began to see the futility of this kind of rebellion, and that the mob is eventually wiser than the individual in determining worldly affairs and what constitutes sanity, i began to view psychiatry in a more positive way.
In abstract theory, psychiatry is possibly a good thing. It's the application, how psychotherapy is actually done, usually, where the problems are.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

binocular wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:38 pm Who decides whether a person is in denial?
The mob?
Whoever happenes to be in position of power (or their representative)?
The relationship between power and the truth is an interesting one, evident by the attempts of those who want to guard the truth by regaining power from those who monopolized it :jedi:

If worldly truths is the product of time, then whatever survives the test of time is closer to the truth. The mob, inspite of their strange ways, have preceded the individual and are going to outlive him/her. Acknowledging this would bring about a sense of humility which is necessary for overcoming individual's denial.

The mob cannot be in denial because their truth do not belong to an individual who can be diagnosed of being in denial.
In abstract theory, psychiatry is possibly a good thing. It's the application, how psychotherapy is actually done, usually, where the problems are.
You can barely find any discipline that is completely flawless. Seeking a flawless state of affairs seem to be another individual fantasy of which the mob don't seem to care.