Third precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Post Reply
sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Third precept

Post by sentinel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:11 am

Is there stated in vinaya lay people prohibited from engage in oral sex , masturbation and frequenting prostitute if not married or even they already married ?
:coffee:

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5694
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Third precept

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am

The vinaya is the rules and procedures governing the monastic sangha, so wouldn't deal with this sort of thing. Are there other areas of the vinaya that relate to the private behaviour of married people? I've not heard of any such proscription in any part of the tipitaka, although there are obviously teachings relating to sensuality in general.

sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by sentinel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am
The vinaya is the rules and procedures governing the monastic sangha, so wouldn't deal with this sort of thing. Are there other areas of the vinaya that relate to the private behaviour of married people? I've not heard of any such proscription in any part of the tipitaka, although there are obviously teachings relating to sensuality in general.
I was thinking of other related information about it probably someone might have the knowledge .

Thanks
:coffee:

User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: Third precept

Post by salayatananirodha » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 13.29.29.png
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

chownah
Posts: 8379
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by chownah » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 am

Do a search in this Sila forum for the word "sexual" and it will point you to a great variety of posts dealing with these issues.
EDIT:......or more specifically directed to the specific ideas you present in the OP I suggest searching for "oral".
chownah

SarathW
Posts: 12530
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Third precept

Post by SarathW » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:50 am

Buddhism and Sex
we must distinguish between the rules undertaken by Buddhist monks for their own conduct, and any guiding principles for lay people.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el225.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by sentinel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am

What is the meaning of woman protected by dhamma ?
:coffee:

sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by sentinel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm

chownah wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 am
Do a search in this Sila forum for the word "sexual" and it will point you to a great variety of posts dealing with these issues.
EDIT:......or more specifically directed to the specific ideas you present in the OP I suggest searching for "oral".
chownah
Thanks
:coffee:

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Jaroen Dhamma Cave, Mae Wang Huai Rin, Lamphun

Re: Third precept

Post by Dhammanando » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm

sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am
What is the meaning of woman protected by dhamma ?
Women keeping brahmacarī vows (i.e., bhikkhunīs, sāmaṇerīs, sikkhamānās and eight-precept upāsikās) and (in later texts) consanguineous female relatives.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by sentinel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm
sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am
What is the meaning of woman protected by dhamma ?
Women keeping brahmacarī vows (i.e., bhikkhunīs, sāmaṇerīs, sikkhamānās and eight-precept upāsikās) and (in later texts) consanguineous female relatives.
Thanks venerable , why is it women liable to punishment is in the protected category ?
And did the Buddha ever mentioned about other than Protected candidate concerning lay people sexual misconduct behavior that would violate third precept , is there anything about how lay people should or shouldn't acts in the intimacy relationship that violates the third precept ?
:coffee:

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Jaroen Dhamma Cave, Mae Wang Huai Rin, Lamphun

Re: Third precept

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 am

sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm
Thanks venerable , why is it women liable to punishment is in the protected category ?
That's just a poor translation. A saparidaṇḍā isn't a "woman liable to punishment", but rather a "woman in connection with whom a punishment has been set." The Vinaya defines the term as: "a girl who's been promised to someone, whose name has been put on a public notice set up in a village, house, or street announcing a penalty for anyone who goes to her."
sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm
And did the Buddha ever mentioned about other than Protected candidate concerning lay people sexual misconduct behavior that would violate third precept , is there anything about how lay people should or shouldn't acts in the intimacy relationship that violates the third precept ?
The early texts don't go further than specifying the kind of sexual partners who are off limits. The specifications taught by some Mahayana teachers regarding appropriate and inappropriate methods and orifices, right and wrong places and times, etc., all come from very late texts and aren't found in any Theravadin sources at all. The East Asians usually get them from the Upāsakaśīla Sūtra and the Tibetans from Vaśubandhu's auto-commentary to the Abhidharmakośa.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

sentinel
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Third precept

Post by sentinel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 am
sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm
Thanks venerable , why is it women liable to punishment is in the protected category ?
That's just a poor translation. A saparidaṇḍā isn't a "woman liable to punishment", but rather a "woman in connection with whom a punishment has been set." The Vinaya defines the term as: "a girl who's been promised to someone, whose name has been put on a public notice set up in a village, house, or street announcing a penalty for anyone who goes to her."
sentinel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm
And did the Buddha ever mentioned about other than Protected candidate concerning lay people sexual misconduct behavior that would violate third precept , is there anything about how lay people should or shouldn't acts in the intimacy relationship that violates the third precept ?
The early texts don't go further than specifying the kind of sexual partners who are off limits. The specifications taught by some Mahayana teachers regarding appropriate and inappropriate methods and orifices, right and wrong places and times, etc., all come from very late texts and aren't found in any Theravadin sources at all. The East Asians usually get them from the Upāsakaśīla Sūtra and the Tibetans from Vaśubandhu's auto-commentary to the Abhidharmakośa.
Thanks venerable .
:coffee:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 25 guests