should I marry or be single?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by salayatananirodha » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

don't get married or be single
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

denise
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by denise » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 pm

hello...are you of age and correct situation to consider these things and which aspects of marriage, if you could have it, would be the difficult for you to manage? what things do you expect for yourself in marriage....what do you expect from your partner? food for thought.... :thinking:

confusedlayman
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by confusedlayman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am

denise wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 pm
hello...are you of age and correct situation to consider these things and which aspects of marriage, if you could have it, would be the difficult for you to manage? what things do you expect for yourself in marriage....what do you expect from your partner? food for thought.... :thinking:
I expect cuddle and kisses and a wee baby... but wait if I also scared about seeing her age, seeing her feel sick, seeing her die, seeing her scold , seeing her fight, seeing divorce, seeing that I need to earn for full family...
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

confusedlayman
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by confusedlayman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:17 am

confusedlayman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am
denise wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 pm
hello...are you of age and correct situation to consider these things and which aspects of marriage, if you could have it, would be the difficult for you to manage? what things do you expect for yourself in marriage....what do you expect from your partner? food for thought.... :thinking:
I expect cuddle and kisses and a wee baby... but wait if I also scared about seeing her age, seeing her feel sick, seeing her die, seeing her scold , seeing her fight, seeing divorce, seeing that I need to earn for full family...
cuddle and those stuffs are not important as I dont think I can have xx
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

confusedlayman
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by confusedlayman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:17 am

salayatananirodha wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm
don't get married or be single
u mean I need to be in secret relation so not single and no married?
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by salayatananirodha » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:30 am

confusedlayman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:17 am
salayatananirodha wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm
don't get married or be single
u mean I need to be in secret relation so not single and no married?
no
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

Cortadew
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 am

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by Cortadew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Observe wisely if you can get used to the recluse life, enjoying singledness.

bryozoa
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by bryozoa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am

Most average western white males don't have any choice but to remain single. Young western females are becoming increasingly fussy, conditioned by the decadent media to be attracted to prideful, arrogant and violent males. The majority of females also have a host of potential suitors vying for their attention and they can just sit back (or lay back) and wait for the most aggressive man with the most resources at his disposal to approach them. Men on the other hand have very limited options especially if they have low income and an average physical appearance. Women condemn us men to remain single but worse treat us with suspicion and scorn and manipulate their alpha male bulls into bullying and harassing us at every opportunity.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 5094
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by SDC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 am

bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Most average western white males don't have any choice but to remain single.
Most? Do you have any specific figures you are basing this on?

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21740
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 am

Greetings,
bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Women condemn us men to remain single but worse treat us with suspicion and scorn and manipulate their alpha male bulls into bullying and harassing us at every opportunity.
This looks like a case of projecting and generalizing personal experience and implying it must be the general case.

I cannot relate to this, and prima facie, it looks ridiculous.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 6183
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by DooDoot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:24 am

bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Most average western white males don't have any choice but to remain single. Young western females are becoming increasingly fussy, conditioned by the decadent media... The majority of females also have a host of potential suitors vying for their attention and they can just sit back (or lay back) and wait for the most aggressive man with the most resources at his disposal to approach them.
The above sounds illogical to me, unless Islamic polygamy is being practised. In my experience, i see lots of available women...
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

User avatar
robertk
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by robertk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 am

bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Most average western white males don't have ....appearance. Women condemn us men to remain single but worse treat us with suspicion and scorn and manipulate their alpha male bulls into bullying and harassing us at every opportunity.
atlas.jpg

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 6260
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by Aloka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 am

bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Most average western white males don't have any choice but to remain single. Young western females are becoming increasingly fussy, conditioned by the decadent media to be attracted to prideful, arrogant and violent males. The majority of females also have a host of potential suitors vying for their attention and they can just sit back (or lay back) and wait for the most aggressive man with the most resources at his disposal to approach them. Men on the other hand have very limited options especially if they have low income and an average physical appearance. Women condemn us men to remain single but worse treat us with suspicion and scorn and manipulate their alpha male bulls into bullying and harassing us at every opportunity.

What ? :rolleye:


.

bryozoa
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by bryozoa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:55 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 am
Greetings,
bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Women condemn us men to remain single but worse treat us with suspicion and scorn and manipulate their alpha male bulls into bullying and harassing us at every opportunity.
This looks like a case of projecting and generalizing personal experience and implying it must be the general case.

I cannot relate to this, and prima facie, it looks ridiculous.

Metta,
Paul. :)
I can only talk from my experience but as a socially awkward male who lacks confidence, I've seen plenty of confident and competitive males who I don't consider to be nice human beings, secure access to female partners.

The thugs who severely bullied me when I was younger always had girlfriends and now they're raising families and respected members of the community. They are 'pillars of the community' in fact. Whereas I'm vilified by the local community as a 'loner'. It's always quiet men like myself who are described as loners, never quiet females.

I could accept my solitary existence quite happily if I was wasn't confronted by so many reminders of those thugs and confident men leading happy and fulfilled lives. They take delight at gloating at me while making sure the happiness they enjoy is clearly visible and I am acutely aware of this deprivation. This has naturally made me very hostile to family values, so much so that I want the traditional family unit to be dismantled but hopefully not before its been corrupted and perverted first.

Not only have I never had a girlfriend, I've never even had a friend who was female. In my experience even quiet women are still primarily attracted to confident men.

All this has left me questioning karma. I don't see why bullies and aggressive men should be rewarded with wives and children. While I and my late brother were completely ignored by females as we became adults but mocked and ridiculed by them when we were growing up.
Last edited by bryozoa on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bryozoa
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Re: should I marry or be single?

Post by bryozoa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:24 am
bryozoa wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am
Most average western white males don't have any choice but to remain single. Young western females are becoming increasingly fussy, conditioned by the decadent media... The majority of females also have a host of potential suitors vying for their attention and they can just sit back (or lay back) and wait for the most aggressive man with the most resources at his disposal to approach them.
The above sounds illogical to me, unless Islamic polygamy is being practised. In my experience, i see lots of available women...
All women are attracted to confident men who have social status. Confident men compete for the attention of women, so women never need to approach men. A quiet socially awkward man like me, incapable of social interaction would be seen as threatening or 'creepy' if I tried to approach a women or girl and probably be warned off by circling alpha male bulls. Women are jealously guarded by stronger men.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests