Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Randolph1809

Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

Post by Randolph1809 »

Hello everyone,

I started doing breathing meditation earlier, after not meditating for months. Near the end of my meditation, I had a really strange sensation where my face and jaw started tingling.

After I got up I was really light headed and kind of wobbly. Is this normal sometimes, or was I not breathing properly? (I was trying to let the breath come naturally)

Thanks for your help.
Kenshou

Re: Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

Post by Kenshou »

Tingly feelings aren't all that unusual. And I'd bet that perhaps you just stood up too quickly, however I believe that a slight meditation-induced vertigo isn't completely unheard of. You're probably doing just fine.
Randolph1809

Post by Randolph1809 »

Kenshou wrote:Tingly feelings aren't all that unusual. And I'd bet that perhaps you just stood up too quickly, however I believe that a slight meditation-induced vertigo isn't completely unheard of. You're probably doing just fine.
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Tonight, when I go again I'll just go with the flow.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Tingling feelings are pretty normal. Actually you are tingling all over your body all the time but your mind is not subtle enough to notice it, meditation will enable you to develop that subtlety.

However your wobbilness could have been caused by your breathing to hard or too deeply, if so just relax and breath normally, or as mentioned before maybe you stood up too quickly.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Randolph1809

Post by Randolph1809 »

Goofaholix wrote:Tingling feelings are pretty normal. Actually you are tingling all over your body all the time but your mind is not subtle enough to notice it, meditation will enable you to develop that subtlety.

However your wobbilness could have been caused by your breathing to hard or too deeply, if so just relax and breath normally, or as mentioned before maybe you stood up too quickly.
That's interesting about the tingling. Actually, I did stand up really fast , I guess I won't be doing that again.