Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Meindzai,

As you say the ATI list is a combintaion of Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-similes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps we could examine a few.

I'm usually reasonably clear about similes, since they say "This means that...".

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... tml#dhp-49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a bee — without harming the blossom, its color, its fragrance — takes its nectar & flies away: so should the sage go through a village.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#butter1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Suppose a man in need of fire, looking for fire, wandering in search of fire, would take a fire stick and rub it into a wet, sappy piece of wood. If he were to take a fire stick and rub it into a wet, sappy piece of wood even when having made a wish [for results]... having made no wish... both having made a wish and having made no wish... neither having made a wish nor having made no wish, he would be incapable of obtaining results. Why is that? Because it is an inappropriate way of obtaining results.

"In the same way, any priests or contemplatives endowed with wrong view, wrong resolve, wrong speech, wrong action, wrong livelihood, wrong effort, wrong mindfulness, & wrong concentration: If they follow the holy life even when having made a wish [for results]... having made no wish... both having made a wish and having made no wish... neither having made a wish nor having made no wish, they are incapable of obtaining results. Why is that? Because it is an inappropriate way of obtaining results.
I'm less clear when they are not explicit and become metaphors or analogies.

How about classifying a few from ATI. E.g.
Sedaka Sutta: At Sedaka 1: The Acrobat
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Ajahn Chah is like a metaphor.. uh nvm.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

mikenz66 wrote: How about classifying a few from ATI. E.g.
Sedaka Sutta: At Sedaka 1: The Acrobat
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Hey, almost forgot all about parables!

par⋅a⋅ble  /ˈpærəbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-buhl] Show IPA
–noun 1. a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
2. a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.

*Another bit of ammuntion in the Buddha's toolbox.

-M

*Mixed metaphor
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

BPS has a book about the buddha's similes, i have it but i've yet to read it, like many BPS books (i got to order a big bunch of them for my birthday, so i'm waaaay backed up on reading)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
ground

Post by ground »

meindzai wrote:
What's the difference between a simile, a metaphor, and an analogy?
An analogy is a bit more complicated. ... It can be a logical argument: if two things are alike in some ways, they are alike in some other ways as well.
This is an example of illogical reasoning.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

TMingyur wrote:
meindzai wrote:
What's the difference between a simile, a metaphor, and an analogy?
An analogy is a bit more complicated. ... It can be a logical argument: if two things are alike in some ways, they are alike in some other ways as well.
This is an example of illogical reasoning.
True. At best it's sloppy logic. Slogic? It could probably be used to demonstrate a point, but I wouldn't use it to make a real logical argument. (Actually, maybe I would, but I suck at logic.)

-M
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, I think analogy is a very common way of figuring out how to solve a problem. Scientists use it all the time: "Such and such an approach worked for XXX. Perhaps we can do something similar to solve YYY." Of course, then one has to check whether it works...

Mike