Story of a small giant

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 3523
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by cappuccino » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm

though he has virtue, he doesn't necessarily have wisdom

though he earned heaven, there is more possible

Ryan95227
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by Ryan95227 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:06 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm
though he has virtue, he doesn't necessarily have wisdom

though he earned heaven, there is more possible
It's a shame that he's not exposed to buddhist teachings.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by DNS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Ryan95227 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:06 pm
cappuccino wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm
though he has virtue, he doesn't necessarily have wisdom

though he earned heaven, there is more possible
It's a shame that he's not exposed to buddhist teachings.
He could be exposed to buddhist teachings. He is in Korea after all, or at least it appears that way. There are quite a few buddhist temples and monasteries in Korea. However, he doesn't have to be exposed to buddhist teachings to be generous, of course. He could just be a good person.

Not to diminish his great generosity, but he could have invested in an ATV and made several trips up in less than half the time. :tongue:

Regardless though, still a great feat of generosity.

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by Bundokji » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:05 pm

The idea of generosity is not separate from the idea of ownership. It is praiseworthy according to worldly logic and its good to see it for what it is if one is aiming to go beyond good and bad.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

chownah
Posts: 8627
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:31 am

Bundokji wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:05 pm
The idea of generosity is not separate from the idea of ownership. It is praiseworthy according to worldly logic and its good to see it for what it is if one is aiming to go beyond good and bad.
Indeed!....and the buddha gave a lesson which discusses this exact issue:
AN 7.49 PTS: A iv 59
Dana Sutta: Giving
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8627
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 am

Ryan95227 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:58 pm

People are clapping for him because they saw him in other tv show. The restaurant/shop owners at the top of the mountain pay him. The mountain name is "Seol Ak Mountain" Yes he carries pretty much everything (sometimes injured tourist).
I found a google map for seol ak mountain and it appears to be a well developed resort area with a road and lots of cars and a cable car and I even think I saw a casino. It is a big area and it might be that there are restaurants farther up the mountain not accessible by road and this is where the man works. His profession would be called being a porter......in the himalaya mountains there are thousands of people working as porters I think.

You seem to have a way of finding out alot about him....do you have other links you could share which contain english?
chownah

EVERYONE: PLEASE NOTE: This post is intended to fill in the details of the man's life and where he works and in no way does this diminish whatever abilities either physical, spiritual, or mental that he may have developed.
chownah

Ryan95227
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by Ryan95227 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 am
Ryan95227 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:58 pm

People are clapping for him because they saw him in other tv show. The restaurant/shop owners at the top of the mountain pay him. The mountain name is "Seol Ak Mountain" Yes he carries pretty much everything (sometimes injured tourist).
I found a google map for seol ak mountain and it appears to be a well developed resort area with a road and lots of cars and a cable car and I even think I saw a casino. It is a big area and it might be that there are restaurants farther up the mountain not accessible by road and this is where the man works. His profession would be called being a porter......in the himalaya mountains there are thousands of people working as porters I think.

You seem to have a way of finding out alot about him....do you have other links you could share which contain english?
chownah

EVERYONE: PLEASE NOTE: This post is intended to fill in the details of the man's life and where he works and in no way does this diminish whatever abilities either physical, spiritual, or mental that he may have developed.
chownah
It's just from series of short documentary about him. I don't think there's any videos with english subtitle.

binocular
Posts: 6951
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Ryan95227 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm
From buddhist perspective, how can a normal person like him who has never been exposed to buddhist teaching do such generous activities that remind me of the buddha? I can't even fathom of anyone generous as he is.
Do you think that this kind of "selflessness" has anything to do with anatta?

Ryan95227
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am

Re: Story of a small giant

Post by Ryan95227 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:06 am

binocular wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 pm
Ryan95227 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm
From buddhist perspective, how can a normal person like him who has never been exposed to buddhist teaching do such generous activities that remind me of the buddha? I can't even fathom of anyone generous as he is.
Do you think that this kind of "selflessness" has anything to do with anatta?
a bit. I've seen him get interviewed by multiple people. The things he say remind me of the dhamma. He talks about the "world inside him" (interconnectedness). He also talks about material possession having no value at all (no-self in forms).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexBrains92, Ceisiwr, JamesTheGiant, NuanceOfSuchness and 703 guests