What exactly was this Ajahn Chah qoute?

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
manas

What exactly was this Ajahn Chah qoute?

Post by manas »

I recall it as going something like this: "Don't be someone, don't be a Sotapanna...(etc)

(Italicization mine).
It seems to be a very profound quote, and i recall reading it recently, but now when I try searching for the full and correct quote, I can't find it. If anyone could please assist, I'd much appreciate it!
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: What exactly was this Ajahn Chah qoute?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

manas wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:41 am I recall it as going something like this: "Don't be someone, don't be a Sotapanna...(etc)

Found two versions:
“Don’t be an arahant, don’t be a bodhisattva, don’t be anything at all. If you are an arahant you will suffer, if you are a bodhisattva you will suffer, if you are anything at you will suffer.”
https://id.b-ok.org/book/2328267/23133e

“Don’t be an Arahat. Don’t be a Buddha. Don’t be anything at all. Being something makes problems. So don't be anything. You don't have to be something...”
https://books.google.com.mm/books/about ... g-ibW7340C

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
manas

Post by manas »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 pm Image

manas wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:41 am I recall it as going something like this: "Don't be someone, don't be a Sotapanna...(etc)

Found two versions:
“Don’t be an arahant, don’t be a bodhisattva, don’t be anything at all. If you are an arahant you will suffer, if you are a bodhisattva you will suffer, if you are anything at you will suffer.”
https://id.b-ok.org/book/2328267/23133e

“Don’t be an Arahat. Don’t be a Buddha. Don’t be anything at all. Being something makes problems. So don't be anything. You don't have to be something...”
https://books.google.com.mm/books/about ... g-ibW7340C

Thank you :anjali: It's so simple yet profound, and goes straight to the heart.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
bodom

Post by bodom »

There is also the quote from him in my signature;

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.
:anjali:
With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasaka Kee Nanayon
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

bodom wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 pm There is also the quote from him in my signature;

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.
:anjali:
He is trying tosay just be aware and dont cling to that assreness also
dont think
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.