Taking the plunge

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
shjohnk

Re: Taking the plunge

Post by shjohnk »

Hi Jack,

You may find this paper helpful:
http://www.bps.lk/other_library/Info%20 ... teries.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a little out of date (2006), but certainly a good reference!
All the best in your inspiring move!

John
nissaranamagga

Post by nissaranamagga »

Best wishes! Jack. You will make it.

I went to Nauyana aranya and Kanduboda last week. In fact i got to travel 3 days with a Czech monk from Nauyana.

Give us a shout when you are here in SL.

metta.

chan

PS my teacher is also from NZ.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

All the best to you Jack :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hello all, sorry for a bit of a late response.

I have been learning a little Sinhala, not enough to really hold a conversation but hopefully that will change over the next couple of months. Once again thank you all for the positive responses :)

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

practice well and make us all proud! we need as many noble ones in the world as we can get.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
nissaranamagga

Post by nissaranamagga »

You will learn sinhala quickly. I have met several western monks who speaks singhalese fluently. You can learn fast when you are here but it is always good to have a bit of preparation.
adosa

Post by adosa »

A belated "Good Luck Jack."

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Congratulations. I wish you peace and happiness in this path. :namaste:
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Good luck, Jack, I am sure it will be a memorable experience :)
Moving to a different country to live there is quite a challenge; I only did this within Europe, so the culture shock was relatively minor ;)

Just be prepared that there WILL be culture shock, so you can be prepared and manage it as something that is for most people inevitable after the first couple of month.

Enjoy :toast:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

My idea thus far has been a meditation-acclimatisation programme, whereby I intensify my efforts whilst living at home, then I leave for Bodhinyanarama in Wellington on April 10th, it's Thai Forest tradition, so there's good practice environment, but it's not too heavy going - It should allow me time to adapt to the monastic routine a bit more than if I had left straight from home to Sri Lanka.

Anyway, I'm off to the batch for a week, hope you are all well my friends and your practice is good!

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jack,

I'm very pleased for you.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

What he said.
What you are doing is a blessing for all beings Jack. The great Going Forth.

:anjali:
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

BlackBird wrote:My idea thus far has been a meditation-acclimatisation programme, whereby I intensify my efforts whilst living at home, then I leave for Bodhinyanarama in Wellington on April 10th, it's Thai Forest tradition, so there's good practice environment, but it's not too heavy going - It should allow me time to adapt to the monastic routine a bit more than if I had left straight from home to Sri Lanka.
I'm sure that the whole thing will go all-right. :smile: If you have any difficulties while you are at home, you don't have to worry about them. In a monastic environment both the precepts and the regular meditation are actually much easier to maintain. Or at least this was my experience; and this is one of the reasons why I plan to ordain too.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Last edited by baratgab on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

baratgab wrote:...I plan to ordain too.
bodhabill

Post by bodhabill »

Hi Jack

Belated best wishes

You are wise beyond your years and as such I know you will find what you are looking for

Enjoy the journey

With Metta
Bill
"Complaining is finding faults, wisdom is finding solutions" Ajahn Brahm