Complete Patimokkha Chant in Pali PDF, anyone?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
holylotus

Complete Patimokkha Chant in Pali PDF, anyone?

Post by holylotus »

Anumodana
Dhammanando

Re: Complete Patimokkha Chant in Pali PDF, anyone?

Post by Dhammanando »

If you are planning to study the Pātimokkha, I recommend you also download Ven. Ñāṇatusita's word-by-word analysis of it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15pDKb ... 253fvx_Yv7
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
holylotus

Post by holylotus »

Thank you very much

I was thinking to try and start memorizing it.

Looks a bit daunting though. Maybe I will start with some shorter chants instead.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

holylotus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 am I was thinking to try and start memorizing it.

Looks a bit daunting though. Maybe I will start with some shorter chants instead.
Should you ever change your mind, Ven. Sujāto has posted some good advice on memorizing it:
I learned the patimokkha in my first vassa, so let me share a few tips.

- Study and practice Pali pronunciation very carefully first. Make sure you can pronounce every vowel and consonant distinctly, accurately, and consistently. Precision is good for its own sake, but it also greatly aids memory. You should be able to simply write the text without error from memory. Like this!
- Yo pana bhikkhu pātimokkhe uddissamāne evaṁ vadeyya: "kim pan'imehi khuddānukhuddakehi sikkhāpedehi uddiṭṭhehi, yāvadeva kukkuccāya vihesāya vilekhāya saṁvattantī"ti Sikkhāpadavivaṇṇake pācittiyaṁ
- Learn the text side by side with a literal translation. Even if you don't know Pali grammar, you should know the meaning of the sentences.
- Learn one part at a time very well before going on to the next part. Usually a "part" would be a rule. Go over it again and again and again. And again.
- When you have mastered one rule, go on to the next, until you have competed a vagga. Then recite the whole vagga again and again until it is fluent.
- Then go back and recite the whole thing from the beginning until it is fluent, before proceeding to the next vagga.
- Don't stop! The number one cause of failure among would-be memorizers is to learn half of it, then get distracted or lose interest, thinking they'll come back to it. They don't.
- Once you have memorized it, keep practising every day for a year. Recite the whole thing, or at least a half, every day.
- As you gain confidence, recite faster. If you can recite the whole thing comfortably in less than 40 minutes, you'll be more likely to do it every day.
- Practice reciting while walking, it's good for the health and encourages robust memory.

It took me 7 weeks to learn, and I still recite it today. It's a wonderful service to the Sangha, and will bring you much joy and faith.
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/le ... kkha/11774
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
holylotus

Post by holylotus »

Thank you Bhante, that post was very motivating. I will do it
holylotus

Post by holylotus »

Is the Patimokkha also available online somewhere in Devanagri script?
BKh

Post by BKh »

If you have a correct version in Pali using unicode, then this tool can convert to any asian script:
http://aksharamukha.appspot.com/#/converter
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

holylotus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 am Is the Patimokkha also available online somewhere in Devanagri script?
This is the Thai version in Devanagari.
भिक्खुपाटिमोक्ख.pdf
(217.04 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
holylotus

Post by holylotus »

:anjali:
Mujo1127

Post by Mujo1127 »

Is there any book that explain Patimokha in detail such as how and when this vinaya occur
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Mujo1127 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am Is there any book that explain Patimokha in detail such as how and when this vinaya occur
Yes, for that you need either the Vinaya Piṭaka or some modern work like Ajahn Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code.

This will give you the Vinaya Piṭaka's background stories (and subsequent evolution) of all of the rules in the monks' Pātimokkha:
https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb

This does the same for the nuns' Pātimokkha:
https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bi-vb

And this does it for all the Vinaya rules and procedures that fall outside the Pātimokkha:
https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

holylotus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm:anjali:
Holylotus, I suggest you don't start with a huge task like the pātimokkha, which will take a very long time to memorize, and isn't vitally relevant for laypeople in daily life.
Better to start by memorizing the Dhammapada. Or some of the more important suttas.
The Dhammapada is great because it is already in short verses, and useful in daily life too.
Mujo1127

Post by Mujo1127 »

holylotus

Post by holylotus »

Thank you for that advise James. Maybe you are right, since I am also finding it is quite hard to memorize a language you dont speak..