Metta practice in Thailand

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Volo

Metta practice in Thailand

Post by Volo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Dear forum,

I've heard somewhere, that there was a foreigner friendly center in Thailand dedicated to the practice of metta. I think it should be somewhere in Chiang Mai area, but not sure. Does anyone know something about it? Any information is appreciated.

:anjali:

tamdrin

Re: Metta practice in Thailand

Post by tamdrin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am

I live in Chiang Mai and there are many meditation centers here but I've never heard of one solely dedicated to metta practice. I'd also be interested to know if there is one!

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am

Volo wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm
Dear forum,

I've heard somewhere, that there was a foreigner friendly center in Thailand dedicated to the practice of metta. I think it should be somewhere in Chiang Mai area, but not sure. Does anyone know something about it? Any information is appreciated.

:anjali:

There is one branch in Mae Hong Son of Sunnataram forest monastery I think near Myanmar border .They practice anapanasati
and metta .
:buddha1:

Volo

Post by Volo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 am

sentinel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am
There is one branch in Mae Hong Son of Sunnataram forest monastery I think near Myanmar border .They practice anapanasati
and metta .
Thanks! Do you know whether they have a method or their own approach to the practice? Or is it more self reliable?

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Volo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 am
sentinel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am
and metta .
Thanks! Do you know whether they have a method or their own approach to the practice? Or is it more self reliable?
Oh I have to inform you that actually i was in Kanchanaburi the main monastery . Most of the monks would be on tudongs most of the time except for rainy retreat . I am not sure the other branches would offer Metta meditation or not !
If not mistaken the Mae Hong Son branch offer vipasana teaching . However , you probably can request for metta teaching .
But , I know Phra Ajahn Yantra the abott was very skillful in metta meditation . I think He is in USA currently . If you don't mind following their routine , it is a very ease stays . They have kutis and caves . But , I haven't been to the cave . I stayed in a kuti on a hillside . That was many years ago . If one is a good meditator , this is a very suitable place for retreat .

3:30 a.m. wakeup;
4-6 a.m. chanting and meditation;
about 6 a.m. monks and novices go on a long
6-km pindabat;
8:30 a.m. monks and novices go on a second pindabat within the monastery;
9 a.m. chanting (reflection on food) and meditation for about 30 min.,
followed by the meal;
3 p.m. work period;
about 4 p.m. drink;
6-8 p.m. chanting (about one hour) and meditation;
8 p.m. sometimes a senior monk gives a talk.

If you are intending to practice on your own , I supposed the senior monk would allow as long as one follows the precepts . Or you also can discuss with the monk first .

Regards
:buddha1:

Volo

Post by Volo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Many thanks, sentinel :anjali:

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:35 am

Not in Thailand, but close... There has been an annual metta bhavana retreat in Myanmar for the past few years. It is conducted by U Indaka, a well-know Burmese teacher, and Ariya Baumann, a Swiss lay-teacher (formerly Daw Ariya Nani, a nun for over 20 years). I don't see a schedule for 2020; but if you care to check it out you might visit Ariya's blogsite: https://ven-ariya.blogspot.com/p/schedule-2019_18.html where you can find contact information.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Volo

Post by Volo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 am

Thanks a lot!