rolling_boulder

"Householder" etymology

Post by rolling_boulder » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi

I am interested to know if we know anything about the etymology of the Pali

gihin, gahattha,
gahapati

translated to English as "Householder."

For interest, here is the English etymology.

householder

late 14c., "head of a household or family; one who manages a household;" by mid-15c. as "one who holds or occupies a house as his dwelling," from household. There are similar formations in other Germanic languages (German Haushälter) also often with corresponding verbal forms (German haushalten) but not in English.
household

late 14c., "members of a family collectively (including servants)," also "furniture and articles belonging to a house;" see house (n.) + hold (n.1). As an adjective, "of or pertaining to house and family, domestic," from late 14c. Compare householder. Household word, one that is in very familiar use, is from 1590s; variant household name is from 1862.
house
Old English hus "dwelling, shelter, building designed to be used as a residence," from Proto-Germanic *hūsan (source also of Old Norse, Old Frisian hus, Dutch huis, German Haus), of unknown origin, perhaps connected to the root of hide (v.) [OED]. In Gothic only in gudhus "temple," literally "god-house;" the usual word for "house" in Gothic being according to OED razn.

Meaning "family, including ancestors and descendants, especially if noble" is from c. 1000. Zodiac sense is first attested late 14c. The legislative sense (1540s) is transferred from the building in which the body meets. Meaning "audience in a theater" is from 1660s (transferred from the theater itself, playhouse). Meaning "place of business" is 1580s. The specialized college and university sense (1530s) also applies to both buildings and students collectively, a double sense found earlier in reference to religious orders (late 14c.). As a dance club DJ music style, probably from the Warehouse, a Chicago nightclub where the style is said to have originated.

To play house is from 1871; as suggestive of "have sex, shack up," 1968. House arrest first attested 1936. House-painter is from 1680s. House-raising (n.) is from 1704. On the house "free" is from 1889. House and home have been alliteratively paired since c. 1200.
hold
c. 1100, "act of holding;" c. 1200, "grasp, grip," from Old English geheald (Anglian gehald) "keeping, custody, guard; watch, protector, guardian," from hold (v.). Meaning "place of refuge" is from c. 1200; that of "fortified place" is from c. 1300; that of "place of imprisonment" is from late 14c. Wrestling sense is from 1713.
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.

Nicolas

Re: "Householder" etymology

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

gaha+pati
gaha: house
pati: lord, master
https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/gahapati

Dhammanando

Re: "Householder" etymology

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:04 pm

rolling_boulder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm
I am interested to know if we know anything about the etymology of the Pali

gihin, gahattha,
gahapati
They are all derived from the verb gaṇhati / gaṇhāti.
Gaṇhati / Gaṇhāti] [Vedic grah (grabh), gṛhṇāti pp. gṛhīta to grasp. *gher to hold, hold in, contain; cp. Gr. xo/rtos enclosure, Lat. hortus, co —hors (homestead); Goth. gards (house); Ohg. gart; E. yard & garden. To this belong Vedic gṛha (house) in P. gaha°, gihin, geha, ghara, & also Vedic harati to seize, hasta hand].
As for -pati:
Pati [Ved. pati, Av. paitis lord, husband; Gr. po/sis husband, Lat. potis, potens, possum, hos-pes; Goth. brūp-faps bridegroom, hunda faps centurion, Lith. pāts husband
The English word 'house' is related to the Pali kosa, a box.
Kosa(1) (m. nt.) [cp. Sk. kośa and koṣa, cavity, box vessel, cp. Goth. hūs, E. house; related also kukṣi=P. kucchi] any cavity or enclosure containing anything, viz. 1. a store-room or storehouse, treasury or granary A iv.95 (rāja°); Sn 525; J iv.409 (=wealth, stores); J vi.81 (aḍḍhakosa only half a house) in cpd. —° koṭṭhāgāra, expld at DA i.295 as koso vuccati bhaṇḍāgāraṃ. Four kinds are mentioned: hatthī°, assā°, rathā°, raṭṭhaṃ°. — 2. a sheath, in khura° Vism 251, paṇṇa° KhA 46. — 3. a vessel or bowl for food: see kosaka. —4. a cocoon, see —°kāraka; —5. the membranous cover of the male sexual organ, the praeputium J v.197. The Com. expls by sarīra-saṃkhāta k°. See cpd. kosohita. — Cp. also kosī. <br>-ārakkha the keeper of the king's treasury (or granary) A iii.57; -ohita ensheathed, in phrase kosohita vatthaguyha 'having the pudendum in a bag.' Only in the brahmin cosmogonic myth of the superman (mahā-purisa) D iii.143, 161. Applied as to this item, to the Buddha D i.106 (in the Cy DA i.275, correct the misprint kesa into kosa) D ii.17; Sn 1022 pp. 106, 107; Miln 167. For the myth see Dial iii.132—136. -kāraka the 'cocoon-maker,' i. e. the silk-worm, Vin iii.224; Vism 251. -koṭṭhāgāra 'treasury and granary' usually in phrase paripuṇṇa-k-k (adj.) 'with stores of treasures and other wealth' Vin i.342; D i.134; S i.89; Miln 2; & passim. —
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta