Is it worth it to resist your well-deserved bad karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Viachh

Is it worth it to resist your well-deserved bad karma?

Post by Viachh » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 am

What happens in terms of the law of karma when we confront our deserved bad karma? Do we worsen our karma even more in this case?
For example, someone is trying to rob us. He was robbed by us in forgiving lives. And it seems that we should put up with a fair (from the point of view of the law of karma) robbery. It turns out, confronting the robber, I do not allow my bad karma to be exhausted. Is it good?

JamesTheGiant

Re: Is it worth it to resist your well-deserved bad karma?

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:49 am

One problem is, it's impossible to tell what things are happening because of kamma, and what things are happening because of accident, etc.
The Buddha said not everything happens because of kamma, it's just one factor.
Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 am

Hello :anjali:

It's not realy about your question but :

If someone wants to steal something that belongs to you, and you know it, the best you can do is to offer this item or idea to this person :smile: (Or if it's already stolen, you mentaly offer this item to this person wishing that this object will be more useful to him rather to you)
1. It will prevent this person to do bad thing
2. This act of generosity may give this person a "shok" or some insight about his problem with greed
3. It will purify your kamma of stealing if there is one
4. It will generates wholesome kamma because the best act of generosity is offering something that we attached to (because it liberates us from attachment)

As about question:
Kamma is apparently flixeble and more about proportion of good and bad deeds, and as a spoon of selt in the glass of water or in the huge river will create different impact on taste of water in the same way one can change one kamma by doing more good or bad kamma.

Regardless of law of kamma that we don't understand, all resistance is bad thing I think. Resistance is dukkha itself . Like into electronic schemes - resistance element is something that appropriate some amount of energy, so it rise in temperature etc. In the same way, while resisting something, mind appropriate the weight of this phenomena by trying to change it, push it or pull it, so suffering arise... Happy mind is a light mind, light mind is a joyfull mind. So on my opinion while walking throught the forest of Samsara is better not to pick up any stones, any flowers, or trying to modify something...

As said Buddha : the foremost of ascetic practices is patience...

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 am

Greetings Viachh,
Viachh wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 am
And it seems that we should put up with a fair (from the point of view of the law of karma) robbery. It turns out, confronting the robber, I do not allow my bad karma to be exhausted. Is it good?
"Good"? It is utter nonsense. You will never find the Buddha speaking this way in the suttas.

Instead he speaks well about the preservation of rightly accumulated wealth...
AN 8.54 wrote:"Herein, Vyagghapajja, whatsoever wealth a householder is in possession of, obtained by dint of effort, collected by strength of arm, by the sweat of his brow, justly acquired by right means — such he husbands well by guarding and watching so that kings would not seize it, thieves would not steal it, fire would not burn it, water would not carry it away, nor ill-disposed heirs remove it. This is the accomplishment of watchfulness.
Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

Viachh wrote:
It turns out, confronting the robber, I do not allow my bad karma to be exhausted. Is it good?
No, it would be going to the extreme of self-mortification. It might perhaps meet with the approval of Nigaṇṭha ascetics, but in the Cūḷadukkhakkhandha Sutta the Buddha ridiculed the idea.

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/mn14
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

santa100

Post by santa100 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Viachh wrote:For example, someone is trying to rob us. He was robbed by us in forgiving lives. And it seems that we should put up with a fair (from the point of view of the law of karma) robbery.
But you cannot know for sure if the event was due to the robber trying to settle the score because of your past evil deed, OR he starts/initiate a brand new evil deed by himself. If it's the latter case, by putting up a good defense to prevent the robbery from happening, you've actually helped preventing the poor guy from committing an evil act that he surely would have to re-pay sooner or later. Who knows, you might've even generated some good decent kamma to mitigate your old evil kamma if it turns out to be the former case!

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:48 am

I find it more useful to view past kamma as the result of what you are experiencing. The circumstances that you are currently experiencing. You cannot change what is in the past. All water under the bridge ie. what you "deserved" - since that is what you are currently experiencing ie. bad health, poverty, bad leaders etc.

You can certainly try to do some thing now in order to change the future. Or even bring about the cessation of kamma.
"Now what, monks, is old kamma? The eye is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. The ear... The nose... The tongue... The body... The intellect is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. This is called old kamma.

"And what is new kamma? Whatever kamma one does now with the body, with speech, or with the intellect: This is called new kamma.

"And what is the cessation of kamma? Whoever touches the release that comes from the cessation of bodily kamma, verbal kamma, & mental kamma: This is called the cessation of kamma.

"And what is the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma? Just this noble eightfold path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is called the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma.

"So, monks, I have taught you new & old kamma, the cessation of kamma, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma. Whatever a teacher should do — seeking the welfare of his disciples, out of sympathy for them — that have I done for you. Over there are the roots of trees; over there, empty dwellings. Practice jhana, monks. Don't be heedless. Don't later fall into regret.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Volo

Post by Volo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 am

Viachh wrote:
What happens in terms of the law of karma when we confront our deserved bad karma? Do we worsen our karma even more in this case?
For example, someone is trying to rob us. He was robbed by us in forgiving lives. And it seems that we should put up with a fair (from the point of view of the law of karma) robbery. It turns out, confronting the robber, I do not allow my bad karma to be exhausted. Is it good?
Sometimes there are examples like if, let's say, your disease is caused by a disorder of 4 elements, you can cure it. But if it is due to past kamma, you cannot cure it by medicine. Until past kamma is exhausted or unless some other past kamma would interfere, you would remain sick.

So, if you could prevent robber from robbing you off, then the robbery wasn't due to your past kamma. You cannot really avoid the result of past kamma by running away from the robber, etc. If you managed, then it was due to non-kammaic causes.