Score one for the Buddha's diet guidelines?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
zan

Score one for the Buddha's diet guidelines?

Post by zan »

I'm not sure if it applies directly, this study is three meals within six hours before 3pm. I know some monks eat multiple times from morning til midday. If they got up at 6am might they have these same impressive results?
Abstract

Intermittent fasting (IF) improves cardiometabolic health; however, it is unknown whether these effects are due solely to weight loss. We conducted the first supervised controlled feeding trial to test whether IF has benefits independent of weight loss by feeding participants enough food to maintain their weight. Our proof-of-concept study also constitutes the first trial of early time-restricted feeding (eTRF), a form of IF that involves eating early in the day to be in alignment with circadian rhythms in metabolism. Men with prediabetes were randomized to eTRF (6-hr feeding period, with dinner before 3 p.m.) or a control schedule (12-hr feeding period) for 5 weeks and later crossed over to the other schedule. eTRF improved insulin sensitivity, β cell responsiveness, blood pressure, oxidative stress, and appetite. We demonstrate for the first time in humans that eTRF improves some aspects of cardiometabolic health and that IF's effects are not solely due to weight loss.

-Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves Insulin Sensitivity, Blood Pressure, and Oxidative Stress Even without Weight Loss in Men with Prediabetes. Cell Metabolism, May 2018
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Justsit

Re: Score one for the Buddha's diet guidelines?

Post by Justsit »

Interesting study. The investigators report they had trouble getting enough subjects, the sample size was only 8 males. I'd be curious to see if the results would be consistent using a larger, more diverse sample.
zan

Post by zan »

Justsit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 pm Interesting study. The investigators report they had trouble getting enough subjects, the sample size was only 8 males. I'd be curious to see if the results would be consistent using a larger, more diverse sample.
Indeed. I would like to know as well.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

one meal before noon > multiple meals before noon
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
zan

Post by zan »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:16 pm one meal before noon > multiple meals before noon

Do you mean for health? Or for spiritual reasons?

-Y. Karunadasa
salayatananirodha

both
heedfulness first, in accordance with kitagiri sutta, but in the same sutta the buddha says he abstains from morning and night meals and lives with little disease, etc
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

all arahants eat only once a day
zan

Post by zan »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:20 pm all arahants eat only once a day
Interesting thanks. Do you have a source for this?

Also do you know of any studies that show one meal a day as significantly healthier than multiple?

-Y. Karunadasa
salayatananirodha

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.043.khan.html wrote:"[He considers:] 'For all their lives the arahants are one-mealers, refrain from eating outside the time, desisting at night,[8] so today I am a one-mealer, refraining from eating outside the time, desisting at night. By this practice, following after the arahants, the Uposatha will be entered on by me.'

"It is undertaken by this sixth practice.
i dont have any studies for you, i don't personally find them reliable
http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts/mn/mn.070.horn.pts.htm wrote:'The Teacher is the Lord,
a disciple am I;
the Lord knows,
I do not know.'
zan

Post by zan »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.043.khan.html wrote:"[He considers:] 'For all their lives the arahants are one-mealers, refrain from eating outside the time, desisting at night,[8] so today I am a one-mealer, refraining from eating outside the time, desisting at night. By this practice, following after the arahants, the Uposatha will be entered on by me.'

"It is undertaken by this sixth practice.
i dont have any studies for you, i don't personally find them reliable
http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts/mn/mn.070.horn.pts.htm wrote:'The Teacher is the Lord,
a disciple am I;
the Lord knows,
I do not know.'
Interesting thanks! I wonder if that language completely rules out the possibility of an arahant having more than one meal before noon.

-Y. Karunadasa