Vipassana or Anapanasati?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Vipassana or Anapanasati?

Post by Collective »

Does anyone have a summary of the differences between Vipassana and Anapanasati?

Thank :namaste: you
mikenz66

Re: Vipassana or Anapanasati?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Collective,

This is a huge topic, which we've discussed at various times:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's my take on it (based on teachers I respect):
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=0#p43682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the connection with meditation? Here I quoted U Pandita:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1311#p18145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ānāpānasati can take two directions. If the meditator strives to be mindful of the form or manner of the in-breath and the out-breath, then it is samatha meditation and leads to one pointed of mind. On the other hand, if the meditator notes the sensation of the in-breath and out-breath as it moves and touches, then it is vipassanā meditation. The element of wind or motion (vayo-dhātu) is rūpa or matter, while the awareness or consciousness of the sensation is nāma or mind.

I.e. insight involves examining paramattha dhammas, not concepts. However, as U Pandida indicates, concepts are useful for samatha.
Metta
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Collective wrote:Does anyone have a summary of the differences between Vipassana and Anapanasati?

Thank :namaste: you
I guess my recommendations are starting to be rather one-sided (from "dry vipassana" perspective), but I just listened to a talk from Ajahn Brahmali on this subject, and I found it quite good. If you are interested in an easily understandable, but comprehensive and insightful talk regarding the role and relation of these aspects of meditation, you might want to check it out; it's just 50 minutes long:

Samatha and Vipassana

:anjali:
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Ven. Dhammajiva wrote:"A yogi can practice both insight meditation and concentration meditation (vipassanã and samatha bhavanã) well within ãnãpãnasati bhavanã (mindfulness of the in-breath and the out-breath)..."

http://nissaranawanaya.wordpress.com/how-to-meditate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vipassana.com/meditation/dhammajiva/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Collective

Post by Collective »

Thank you all very much
Collective

Post by Collective »

Should eyes be open or closed?

I thought nothing of this as most of what I read and/or heard said eyes open.

Lately though I've been reading 'eyes closed'. Which is it?
bodom

Post by bodom »

Collective wrote:Should eyes be open or closed?

Which do you prefer?

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I find that open eyes can be distractive. The image starts to blur, I don't know where to focus my eyes... With my eyes closed I don't have these problems.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Collective,
Collective wrote:Lately though I've been reading 'eyes closed'.
That's a pretty impressive achievement.... :lol:

Seriously though, my experience has been like Modus.Ponens's. In fact, the eyes just want to close on their own and it becomes more comfortable to keep them closed.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Collective

Post by Collective »

bodom wrote:

Which do you prefer?

Definitely eyes closed. Easier to focus :meditate:
Collective

Post by Collective »

Modus.Ponens wrote:

I find that open eyes can be distractive. The image starts to blur, I don't know where to focus my eyes... With my eyes closed I don't have these problems.
Exactly how I feel
Collective

Post by Collective »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Collective,
Collective wrote:Lately though I've been reading 'eyes closed'.
That's a pretty impressive achievement.... :lol:
:lol: Good one
retrofuturist wrote: Seriously though, my experience has been like Modus.Ponens's. In fact, the eyes just want to close on their own and it becomes more comfortable to keep them closed.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I think my next session will be eyes closed too. Comes as a bit of relief as well as there's less distractions.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Collective, there comes a point where we can start confusing ourselves. We can ask for advice about the broad-brush approaches to different practices. But eventually it comes down to trial and error and what works for us. And that might differ from person to person. It is understandible that we should want all our ducks lined up before we start, but doesnt actually work that way.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Just sat for 20 minutes, eyes closed, and it was different.

After I'd settled, I got mental images, probably just the mind playing tricks. Iwasn't tired, like dozing off, but I was relaxed. I couldn't make out anything definite, just a lot of fuzzy images. I also felt nauseous at one point, and I also got the subtle feeling of spinning? I think at one point I also expereinced a slight pressure in my chest which disconcerted me for a brief while - but I son got back to the breath.

It was all in all though, an enjoyable expereince, different from open eyes meditation. Different in the ways described above.

Thank you