Don't do this...

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Vardali

Re: Don't do this...

Post by Vardali »

With regard to the original post, I have been abstaining from watching "reality-soap" shows of any kind; or to be more accurate, I don't really watch any TV anymore. Just as a general note, I learned from my nephew who works for one of our major casting firms for such shows how much of it is really "real" and how much is fake/staged. And obviously, though the contestants have a rough idea of what they are getting themselves into, I guess the reality of that does surprise one or the other. Some make a profession out of it, though.

With regard to diet: I can just go by personal experience, so I am not claiming any scientific explanation. But simply put, I found that I will put on weight no matter how small the calorie intake if I eat high carbohydrate-based food (and in particular stuff like potatoes, bread or pasta) and I lose weight on a low carb diet. I usually avoid processed foods either way, but this difference between high carb foods and low carb foods have become so prominent for me that I have been using carb counts as a pretty successful means to weight control.

As I am trying to conform to a mostly vegan style of diet (there are some relapses to dairy products and eggs now and then), minimizing carbs is not that easy, but works well enough with beans, nuts and seats, regardless of any fat-content.

The most obese people I know are actually those focusing on buying diet-food (low fat, diet/light versions etc.). I won't suggest what comes first here, but it's noticeable enough to make you wonder :shrug:
Pax

Post by Pax »

baratgab wrote:
I think it's a very good idea to research this subject; there are much to learn and earn, especially if you are interested in the ethical and environmental aspects too. By the way, if you have some heart problems or type-2 diabetes, I can suggest some specific sources about dietary ways to arrest and reverse them; in matter of months in the first case, and, I think, in matter of weeks in the second case.
I'm one of the lucky heavy people in the world, I'm very healthy (low BP/cholesterol/heart rate/blood sugar), I do need to lower my weight though as it is hard on my damaged joints.

I read The China Study a few years ago and began altering my diet significantly, it has proven to work for me so I'll continue to make the suggested modifications.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

...and the missing magic ingredient in the last half dozen posts, is ...

EXERCISE

If energy intake is greater than energy consumption, you put on weight.
If energy intake is less than energy consumption, you lose weight.

In the 'traditional cultures' someone mentioned, everyone basically walked everywhere. They also planted, hoed, threshed, stored and processed all their crops without any machine power or even much animal power.
Energy consumption was so much greater than in our modern western lifestyle that they could usually eat as much food as they could get and still not put on much weight.

:namaste:
Kim
Pax

Post by Pax »

I thought we were discussing what constitutes a healthy diet? Exercise is a given, but exercise needs proper quality nutrition in order to develop/maintain health.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Pax wrote:I thought we were discussing what constitutes a healthy diet? Exercise is a given, but exercise needs proper quality nutrition in order to develop/maintain health.
I know we were talking about healthy diet, and don't want to hijack the thread, but exercise had not even been mentioned recently and it is just as fundamental to the original topic, i.e. weight loss or gain, as diet.
If you eat more than you use, you get fatter.
Very simple, very easy to remember, but I see so many people who choose not to know it or not to remember it. Australia is following the US into a lifestyle-caused obesity epidemic and it is so sad and so unnecessary.
It is going to be 'so expensive', too, in a few years - to obese individuals as their health worsens and to the rest of us as we pay for more healthcare facilities.
:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Kim
I think the obesity epidemic is already here. A major concern at the moment is the growing incidence of obesity among children.
And you are right, exercise and diet go hand in hand for long-term health as well as weight-loss.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I found this in my junk mail (exactly where it belongs, of course) today and thought I'd share it with you all.
Anyone silly enough to follow the link is sure to lose weight ... in the wallet area.
:cookoo:

Kim

Negative Calorie Foods

Did you know that it is now possible to drop up to 14 POUNDS in only 7 DAYS? That's right...

Negative Calorie Foods can make it happen for you!

YOUR metabolism is the key to burning fat! You can manipulate it and force your body to reduce fat 24 hours per day!

You'll never lose weight by starving and skipping meals! This is a big myth of weight loss! Don't believe it!

You can't burn your excess body fat by eating NONFAT or LOWFAT foods! You MUST SPEED UP YOUR METABOLISM instead!

You can't erase cellulite, love handles, or flatten your stomach with spot-reducing exercises. Don't waste your time!

http://negcaloriediet09.vilabol.uol.com.br" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;