Is it wholesome to eat unfertilised eggs?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah

Re: Is it wholesome to eat unfertilised eggs?

Post by chownah »

Srilankaputra wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 am
chownah wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 am

Hi,

I am confused. Are you addressing me or Sarath?
In this part of my post (there is a second part which addresses sarath by name) I am replying to whoever mentioned watching the whole video, whoever talked about the bhante's knowledge of male and female, and whoever mentioned things being unfair......it seems like it must be you.
chownah
Why are you responding to a post specifically addressed to another user?

PS: this is nonsense this will be my last post.
I responded to your post because I had something to say with respect to it. It is not so unusual for someone to reply to a post specifically addressed to another user...I am sure that in a very short period of time I could find several....probably several several...... If you want to say something to sarath and you don't want people to comment on it then you should send a private message.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Interesting Bhante.
How about I buy an egg from the supermarket and cook that for you?
Is it OK for you to eat it as case one applies to it?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:02 pm Interesting Bhante.
How about I buy an egg from the supermarket and cook that for you?
Is it OK for you to eat it as case one applies to it?
Yes.

If you buy a dozen eggs at Tesco's and put them in an incubator you won't get any chicks. Either the eggs will be from a battery farm, in which case they'll be unfertilized, or they'll be from a free range or organic farm, in which case they may once have been fertilized, but the embryos will have been killed by refrigeration.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

“Ultimately, with an egg that has travelled from our farm to the home via our packing centre, the supermarket depot and store network, it is a feat of remarkably slim odds that a duckling has been hatched. But we acknowledge that it’s not impossible."
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/teen ... 70861.html
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am The Vinaya states there is no offense for a monk who takes what is in the possession of an animal.
Could you give the Sutta support or link please?
Bhikkhu Vibhaṅga, Pārājika 2 wrote: ‘If a monk, intending to steal, takes from a village or from the wilderness what has not been given to him—the sort of theft for which kings, having caught a thief, would beat, imprison, or banish him, saying, “You’re a bandit, you’re a fool, you’ve gone astray, you’re a thief”—he too is expelled and excluded from the community.’
[...]
There is no offense: if he perceives it as his own; if he takes it on trust; if he borrows it; if it is the possession of a ghost; if it is the possession of an animal; if he perceives it as discarded; if he is insane; if he is deranged; if he is overwhelmed by pain; if he is the first offender.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

if it is the possession of an animal
Does this mean a monk can take an egg from a birds nest and eat?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A wild bird’s eggs would most likely be fertilized anyway, so that would be a no.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 pm A wild bird’s eggs would most likely be fertilized anyway, so that would be a no.
Where does it say in Sutta that a monk can eat unfertilised eggs?
Does Sutta say any thing about eating eggs?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:37 am
Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 pm A wild bird’s eggs would most likely be fertilized anyway, so that would be a no.
Where does it say in Sutta that a monk can eat unfertilised eggs?
Does Sutta say any thing about eating eggs?
I don't think the Suttas mention eggs specifically. But there are references to the Buddha eating honey and milk.
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/Diet_of_Buddha

And honey and milk are animal products like eggs where no being is killed (as long as the eggs are unfertilized). If honey and milk are allowed, we could assume eggs are okay.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If honey and milk are allowed, we could assume eggs are okay.
Unfortunately I have to dis agree with you this occasion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19 am
If honey and milk are allowed, we could assume eggs are okay.
Unfortunately I have to dis agree with you this occasion.
Okay, no problema, but why do you think eggs (unfertilized) would be bad and not allowed?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

We don't know for sure.
By the way I eat eggs including free range eggs.
Another point is we have to observe many other precepts before we start to worry about the eggs.
I think eating an egg is less harmful than killing.
However Kamma and Vipaka operates in its own way.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

When someone eats an unfertilized egg, there is no destruction of life. There isn’t even destruction of potential life (as in a seed) because once the unfertilized egg is laid, it cannot be fertilized.

Reread the suttas on meat-eating. If eating meat (if it is safe in the three ways described by the Buddha) is not unwholesome to eat, the only potential unwholesomeness comes from the destruction of life, which is not the case with an unfertilized egg.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 am When someone eats an unfertilized egg, there is no destruction of life. There isn’t even destruction of potential life (as in a seed) because once the unfertilized egg is laid, it cannot be fertilized.

Reread the suttas on meat-eating. If eating meat (if it is safe in the three ways described by the Buddha) is not unwholesome to eat, the only potential unwholesomeness comes from the destruction of life, which is not the case with an unfertilized egg.
Just listened to the video and read the follow up. I feel that arguments on eating eggs are at a tangent, because
what this Ven. Gotama is trying to explain is that wholesomeness or unwholesomeness in the act of eating eggs lies on the tanha ( greed) for the taste of the eggs.
May I suggest that with the greed of the taste for eggs one may eat fertilised or unfertilised eggs. Upadana for taste of egg is the condition one has to face.
If we offer an egg , what ever it is, we may make break the first precept , but is not subjected to our taste.
What I wish to imply here is that wholesome or unwholesome factor mostly depend on our tanha.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

what this Ven. Gotama is trying to explain is that wholesomeness or unwholesomeness in the act of eating eggs lies on the tanha ( greed) for the taste of the eggs.
Will this apply to other food as well. (say rice)?
Sutta or Vinaya does not say that breaking an egg equal to breaking the first precept Vinaya.
Do they?