Is it wholesome to eat unfertilised eggs?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Is it wholesome to eat unfertilised eggs?

Post by SarathW »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am The Vinaya states there is no offense for a monk who takes what is in the possession of an animal.
Could you give the Sutta support or link please?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

chownah wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:52 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm I see some unkind responses here
I don't see any unkind responses here. I think it is unkind to interpret the responses given as being unkind....just which posts are you judging to be unkind?

I think a big problem here is how the heck am I supposed to know what some video is talking about exactly when it is in srilankan? Am I supposed to just blindly trust that whoever tells me what it is about is correct?....does anyone here just blindly trust that whoever tells them about a sutta is correct?
chownah
Hi C
You do not miss much from the video.
The monk just say it without giving any reason.
It appears to me that he does not understand what is fertilised and unfertilised egg is.
Perhaps there could be other reasons which I do not know.
We do not have to accept or reject because it is said by a monk since it is his opinion.
That is why I posted it here for discussion.
Do not worry about the video. What is your opinion?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm Could you give the Sutta support or link please?
It's under the second pārājika offence:
On one occasion a number of monks were descending from Mount Vulture Peak when they saw the remains of a lion’s kill. They had it cooked and ate it. They became remorseful …

“There’s no offense [i.e., of stealing] when it’s the remains of a lion’s kill.”

On one occasion a number of monks were descending from Mount Vulture Peak when they saw the remains of a tiger’s kill … a panther’s kill … a hyena’s kill … a wolf’s kill. They had it cooked ...

“There’s no offense when it’s the possession of an animal.”
https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj2/en/brahmali
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you, Bhante.
I have no problem with people eating meat available in the market.
Perhaps I can eat the egg omelet selling in a shop as well.
But can I buy an egg and eat it?
Can a monk eat and egg omelet knowing it is specially made for them?
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 pm It appears to me that he does not understand what is fertilised and unfertilised egg is.
Hi sarath,

Did you watch the whole video? Do you think the bhante doesn't know that a male and a female is required to make a chick. If you are going to share this sort of videos please make sure you summarise all the arguments. Otherwise it's very unfair on the speaker.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
chownah

Post by chownah »

Srilankaputra wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 pm It appears to me that he does not understand what is fertilised and unfertilised egg is.
Hi sarath,

Did you watch the whole video? Do you think the bhante doesn't know that a male and a female is required to make a chick. If you are going to share this sort of videos please make sure you summarise all the arguments. Otherwise it's very unfair on the speaker.
I didn't watch the whole video!!!! There is no way for me to know the bhante's knowledge of male and female.....and no way for me to know the bhante's knowledge on anything else including the buddha dhamma!!!
Maybe you should show some concern for what is unfair to the people here who don't understand srilankan!!!.....or is this topic meant only for those who speak srilankan?
chownah

Sarath,
If you just wanted to discuss the wholesomeness of eating unfertilized eggs then why bring this video which almost noone here can understand? Do you receive money everytime you bring a srilankan video?...I hope you don't find this question to be unkind....I'm just asking because I don't really see why you bring srilankan videos here where almost no one can understand them.
chownah
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

chownah wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:09 am
Hi sarath,

I didn't watch the whole video!!!! There is no way for me to know the bhante's knowledge of male and female.....and no way for me to know the bhante's knowledge on anything else including the buddha dhamma!!!
Maybe you should show some concern for what is unfair to the people here who don't understand srilankan!!!.....or is this topic meant only for those who speak srilankan?
chownah
Hi,

I am confused. Are you addressing me or Sarath?

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I'm just asking because I don't really see why you bring srilankan videos here where almost no one can understand them.
chownah
I was asked to provide the source of my claims in the past.
If I just say that I heard this from a Sri Lankan monk, moderators ask me to provide the source.
I am sorry that I understand your frustration.
As I said you don't have to watch the video to answer my question.
This is not a criticism of this particular monk or praise of him. It is just the prop.
:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi sarath,

But he did not differentiate between fertilised egg and an unfertilised egg.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Srilankaputra wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 am

Hi sarath,

chownah
Hi,

In this part of my post (there is a second part which addresses sarath by name) I am replying to whoever mentioned watching the whole video, whoever talked about the bhante's knowledge of male and female, and whoever mentioned things being unfair......it seems like it must be you.
chownah
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

chownah wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 am
chownah
Hi,

In this part of my post (there is a second part which addresses sarath by name) I am replying to whoever mentioned watching the whole video, whoever talked about the bhante's knowledge of male and female, and whoever mentioned things being unfair......it seems like it must be you.
chownah
Why are you responding to a post specifically addressed to another user?

PS: this is nonsense this will be my last post.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

this is nonsense this will be my last post.
Just be mindful of your mental state.
No need to get upset about anything. Contemplate on Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta.
It is not I, me or myself. :D
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DNS wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:33 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:40 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 am (especially about eating cow placenta).
Like me, Chownah lives in the north of Thailand where boiled cow's afterbirth (tôm hók wua) is considered quite a delicacy.
That's interesting that some people eat placentas. From a vegetarian ethical standpoint that might be considered allowable, as no being was killed and it is something that is normally discarded. I'm vegetarian, but for me personally, I think I'll pass on trying it. :tongue:

(but of course from a vegan nutritional view, that would not be allowable)
I am not trying to put you off.
But it appears some eat human placenta!
At least this gives us a glimpse of loathsomeness in food.
Please delete this post if moderators think this is off-topic or inappropriate.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 am I am not trying to put you off.
But it appears some eat human placenta!
At least this gives us a glimpse of loathsomeness in food.
Please delete this post if moderators think this is off-topic or inappropriate.

Yes, it's quite well known - if not widely practised - in the UK. The theory is that eating the placenta restores nutrients lost to the woman in pregnancy and giving birth, and helps stave off post-natal depression.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:50 pm But can I buy an egg and eat it?
There wouldn't be any risk of your breaking the first precept if the egg were either unfertilized or else fertilized but then cooked or stored in a refrigerator or treated in some other way that ensures you're buying just an egg and not a potential chick.
SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:50 pmCan a monk eat and egg omelet knowing it is specially made for them?
If a monk sees, hears or suspects that the omelette was made from a fertilized egg, and that the egg was cooked just for him, then I think the same considerations as those pertaining to meat and fish would apply. In practice, however, a monk nowadays will seldom have reason to see, hear or suspect such a thing.

In my own case, the last time I refused the offering of an egg was in 1997. In that year I was spending the vassa in an abandoned WW II bunker on an eider duck farm on the northern coast of Iceland. My almsfood came mostly from the local duck farmers and their Thai wives. Since all the ducks in the neighbourhood were free range I had strong grounds for suspecting that any cooked duck eggs offered to me would be both fertilized and cooked specially for me.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)