Millionaire gave away his wealth.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Millionaire gave away his wealth.

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings David,
David N. Snyder wrote:Notice the words "nor" above as in one should not toot one's own horn when giving.
That's true... yet if someone does a meritorious deed, it offers us the chance to rejoice in their merit. As I said earlier - it's a fine line between the two, and may be a matter of perception than anything else.
Yes, I agree it is a fine line between the two. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the generosity is excellent and worthy of rejoicing. But his reason was for "being happy." He complained about the perceptions he received from people in the '5-star' lifestyle. If he is out there placing high expectations on others (not expecting them to be 'actors') and his perceptions of them, he will still suffer. Those kind of attitudes can keep him in suffering with or without the wealth.

Like alan wrote:
Money does not create unhappiness; lack of money does not create happiness.
The generosity is wonderful, the happiness issue is another matter.
Ben

Re: Millionaire gave away his wealth.

Post by Ben »

My attitude is that with every act of generosity, there is present the wholesome paramita of dana, even if the main motivation is based on greed, delusion or aversion. In his case his motivation is his own mundane happiness, or for someone else it could be something like tax concessions or recognition, or to avert civil litigation. His act of generosity may not be perfectly pure, but it is still meritorious.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..