oatmeal sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
2600htz

oatmeal sutta

Post by 2600htz »

Hello everyone:

I think i once read a sutta where the Buddha is recommending monks to eat oatmeal, and it lists the benefits of that practice.
What sutta would it be?. (Please move question to another section if thats pertinent).

Regards.
bazzaman

Re: oatmeal sutta

Post by bazzaman »

I did a bit of searching online and, from what I could find, it seems that oat was only recently introduced into India... i.e. in the 1970's. Oat is of Middle-Eastern origin, and most cultivation migrated to northwest Europe.
There are articles in Indian publications decrying the recent food fad of eating Mediterranean foods such as olive oil. Oatmeal is also criticized for being foreign to India.
I could be wrong of course, but if there is a sutta in which the Buddha recommends the eating of oatmeal it could be a mis-translation of some other form of gruel.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Volo

Post by Volo »

2600htz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm Hello everyone:

I think i once read a sutta where the Buddha is recommending monks to eat oatmeal, and it lists the benefits of that practice.
What sutta would it be?. (Please move question to another section if thats pertinent).
Maybe you mean rice porridge:
AN 5.201 wrote:Bhikkhus, there are these five benefits in rice porridge. What five? It stills hunger, dispels thirst, settles wind, cleans out the bladder, and promotes the digestion of the remnants of undigested food. These are the five benefits in rice porridge.”
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think it was barley....and I have a very unreliable distant memory of the buddha mentioning the value of eating simple sorts of food which nourish the body but are not so distracting because of their pleasurable qualities.
chownah
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

7. Yāgusuttaṃ (A.iii.250)

207. “Pañcime, bhikkhave, ānisaṃsā yāguyā. Katame pañca? Khuddaṃ paṭihanati, pipāsaṃ paṭivineti, vātaṃ anulometi, vatthiṃ sodheti, āmāvasesaṃ pāceti. Ime kho, bhikkhave, pañca ānisaṃsā yāguyā”ti.

“These five, monks, are the benefits of rice gruel: It allays hunger, it allays thirst, it allays wind, it cleans the bladder, it helps to digest any undigested food.
Rice gruel (yāgu), seems to have been a thin rice gruel made by boiling left-over rice. In Burma, we regularly had this as morning breakfast served with red kidney beans, fried onions, and other flavourings. It is not as nourishing as oatmeal porridge made with milk, which one could practically live on with the help of fresh fruit.

At one time the monks had "eating conjey" for breakfast and did not eat much when it came to the midday meal. The donors were disappointed. I guess that would have been a thick milk rice porridge or solid milk rice such as was offered to the Bodhisatta on the day of his Enlightenment by Sujāta.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Volo wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 am
2600htz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm Hello everyone:

Maybe you mean rice porridge:
AN 5.201 wrote:Bhikkhus, there are these five benefits in rice porridge. What five? It stills hunger, dispels thirst, settles wind, cleans out the bladder, and promotes the digestion of the remnants of undigested food. These are the five benefits in rice porridge.”
Thank you all.
That was it!, rice porridge, not oatmeal.

Regards.