Do young arahants have to bow down to senior monks?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Do young arahants have to bow down to senior monks?

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 am

Greetings,

In terms of seniority it's about the numbers of vassa (rains retreats)... not age.

As for how stages of enlightenment fit into the equation, I don't know... better ask a Vinaya expert that one.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

robertk

Post by robertk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 am

dhammapal wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:34 am
Do young arahants have to bow down to senior ordinary monks?
yes.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 am

I think this is one of the most important etiquettes lost in the modern age, especially in the West.
No respect for the seniority.
I think we have to apply this to this forum as well. :tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:28 pm

yes , monastic procedure and protocol has nothing to do with the attainment of the people following it.

another example would be , even if a young monastic became an arahant, they would still need wait until they have 10 vassa to ordain others.

quite frankly, I don't believe the arahant would go around telling other monastics, so no one would know regardless.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://bhikkhujayasara.wordpress.com/

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm

I read a story in the tipitaka a few decades ago so I can only remember bare outline.

Buddha had an encounter with an elder (brahmin?). The elder wanted Buddha to bow to him.

Buddha explained that they had been (eagle, vulture?) in a nest in another life where the elder had been laid as egg first but Buddha had broken out of the shell first and he asked who should be considered senior. The elder conceded that it was Buddha who was senior.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Do young arahants have to bow down to senior monks?
Yes.
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59