Are rich doners or organised donors make restrictions on Forums and temples?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I just started to wonder whether certain organised groups or the rich donors make an influence in certain forums and temples so they can spread their ideologies or discrimination on other people.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Re: Are rich doners or organised donors make restrictions on Forums and temples?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yes this does happen sometimes. I've seen an example of a monastery in the West funded by the local immigrant Burmese community, not criticize the military government because a big donor to the monastery did a lot of business in that country with the government.

And the Chinese government funds some Buddhist organisations and in return they are very outspoken against the dalai lama. NKT.

But it doesn't seem to be a big problem within Theravada, from what I've seen.
But I'm sure we can find some examples.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Are rich doners or organised donors make restrictions on Forums and temples?

Post by Sam Vara »

I have heard it claimed that the debate around Bhikkhuni ordination which convulsed part of the Thai Forest Sangha some years ago was influenced by the desire not to upset rich Thai donors living in the UK who took a traditional view of the matter.

I have no idea as to the truth of that, but it was/is a common belief among those keen on equal status for nuns.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

And the Chinese government funds some Buddhist organisations and in return, they are very outspoken against the dalai lama. NKT.
This is one of the concerns I had when I wrote the OP.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”