how long can you last with an inguinal hernia

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
salayatananirodha

how long can you last with an inguinal hernia

Post by salayatananirodha »

i noticed a hard mass come into being in my groin sometime around or before august 2018
visited a nurse practitioner who was female and, not feeling comfortable with her touching below my lower abdomen, accepted her suggestion that it might be compacted stool
mass became more noticeably fleshy and also visibly apparent late in the year or early 2019. got a diagnosis of hernia from doctor
i guess its an inguinal hernia btw but may be abdominal? but i think inguinal but not sure
unfortunately i dont have health insurance right now, may not until january if even then
i didnt have pain until recently but now i do have pain intermittently, and pain spreads into other parts of my abdomen. but i dont know what is all hurting from what cause what is nothing to worry about etc
just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge as i would like my mind to rest
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
santa100

Re: how long can you last with an inguinal hernia

Post by santa100 »

Try to get health insurance soon. While waiting for it, do your best to to minimize/reduce the effect: stay active and exercise, get sufficient sleep/rest, healthy diets with fiber-riched plants, veggies, and fruits, etc. Good luck..
salayatananirodha

about to head to emergency room actually, idk if panic attack or what but i felt my scrotum and the hernia-side testicle is messed up. now i'm flipping out D: i'll try to update
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Just now saw this thread and you are obviously already receiving the medical attention you need.

In case anyone else reading this may be interested, inguinal hernias can become what is known as "incarcerated," wherein part of the intestine becomes trapped in a loop outside the abdominal wall, causing pain and potentially very serious complications. Sometimes a loop of bowel can also herniate into the scrotum. Both of these usually require surgical intervention.

Caveat: I'm an RN, not a medical doctor. No medical advice expressed or implied.

Hoping that you have a successful outcome today and can get your issues resolved quickly.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've had a (double) inguinal hernia, but I might wait until the diagnosis is confirmed and the topic settles down a bit before sharing any experiences.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Justsit wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 pm Hoping that you have a successful outcome today and can get your issues resolved quickly.
+1

salayatana,

Hope everything is okay, glad you're seeking medical help.
salayatananirodha

yeah, so i woke up with that ache around my hernia area, then went to the bathroom and felt my testicle, which is apparently inflamed or infected, and i guess i fell into an anxiety attack. it's amazing how the mind can trick the body into thinking it's ill, because i genuinely was about to pass out, could hardly see, blood rushing
the doctor said it probably doesn't have to do with the hernia and prescribed sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim DS tablet, twice a day with food, for what he thinks is an infection. how would i get that? he says i may have crossed my legs wrong or banged my testicle against something, and he recommends supportive underwear. what i noticed later on that occurred was when i was sitting in the doctor's office worrying and being upset about not having insurance losing wages etc there was some time where i forgot i was worrying and being upset. it's like i'm the lead actor in my own drama but i forgot for a moment that i was supposed to be acting
anyhow, i did not pick up the antibiotics because i doubt i really need them but also because eating after noon is just not something i want to do unless i have an understanding of how and why i may do this. i ordered a smoothie but left it in the refrigerator. that antibiotic i read can be taken with or without food so idk if stomach upset is enough to justify having an extra meal. none of the tonics apparently have much protein in them, which my pharmacist recommends. would oil not be sufficient for that sort of thing?
i was making plans to have a stay in the hospital, sending last-minute important messages ... anxiety is apparently more of an issue than any of my existing health problems. i'd like not to overreact to symptoms and then maybe have a better idea of when i'm actually ill

my appreciation for the concern
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings alayatananirodha,
salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm anyhow, i did not pick up the antibiotics because i doubt i really need them but also because eating after noon is just not something i want to do unless i have an understanding of how and why i may do this.
Firstly, you are a layperson so the Vinaya doesn't apply to you. Secondly, with that said, the Buddha allowed medicines etc. and there are allowances for certain things to be taken after the zenith. I recommend taking what you were prescribed.
salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pmanxiety is apparently more of an issue than any of my existing health problems. i'd like not to overreact to symptoms and then maybe have a better idea of when i'm actually ill
Yes, good to get your anxiety in check. A Dhamma practice, done well, should help...

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I'm a PA. I always recommend in every medical post that the internet is not a good place to ask for advice about your health problems, so I'll just repeat that here. I'm not giving any specific medical advise here either, but generally speaking, you're dealing with a few potentially serious medical issues, so I'd recommend doing what your doctor told you.
Us folks in the medical field see people every single day WAY worse off after having ignored their doctor's advise/meds/treatment.
salayatananirodha

Greetings [s]alayatananirodha,

Firstly, you are a layperson so the Vinaya doesn't apply to you. Secondly, with that said, the Buddha allowed medicines etc. and there are allowances for certain things to be taken after the zenith. I recommend taking what you were prescribed.

Yes, good to get your anxiety in check. A Dhamma practice, done well, should help...

Metta,
i'm not bound by the vinaya in the same way that monks are, but it does apply to me. i'm a monk in the sense that i live with restraint, and the eight precepts are part of that (however i may falter)
even if i didn't try to keep the eight precepts full time, i would be sure to keep uposatha days, which is what the buddha recommended for lay people. i figure there are allowances but i'm not yet clear on what they are. why is 'done well' in italics?
I'm a PA. I always recommend in every medical post that the internet is not a good place to ask for advice about your health problems, so I'll just repeat that here. I'm not giving any specific medical advise here either, but generally speaking, you're dealing with a few potentially serious medical issues, so I'd recommend doing what your doctor told you.
Us folks in the medical field see people every single day WAY worse off after having ignored their doctor's advise/meds/treatment.
it's better than having to pay 50+ dollars because i don't have insurance. which does not appear as bad as having to pay weekly for insurance and actually using it such that you lose more money into the insurance than if you just paid out of pocket
although the risk is higher
i'm pretty much asymptomatic after sitting at work a couple days and i was also drinking too much caffeine (a chronic problem for me), the stress of that may have led to groin trauma (that area has already been a problem for me as evidenced by hernia)
there might be a more moderate way to live here but that's something i have to come into gradually
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:39 pm why is 'done well' in italics?
For emphasis, because many people's practice is an attachment to rites and rituals, which is a major obstacle for them in achieving stream entry (i.e. Dhammic self-sufficiency)

All the best.

Metta,
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Bro, don’t be insane, take the antibiotics. You don’t want to die or lose a testicle because of some bacteria. What a lame way to go or, perhaps worse, depending on your level of awakening, be emasculated.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Polar Bear,
Polar Bear wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 pm What a lame way to go or, perhaps worse, depending on your level of awakening, be emasculated.
... or inadvertently become one of the classifications of "pandaka" and then become ineligible for ordination. Now that would be ironic.

:?

Metta,
salayatananirodha

they can be taken without food so i'm taking them without food
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:47 am they can be taken without food so i'm taking them without food
Awesome 👍
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."