Dhamma written in ten different scripts

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
suanck

Re: Dhamma written in ten different scripts

Post by suanck »

In current Vietnamse writing, there are 2 ways to express the word DHAMMA:

a) Translation (commonly used):

PHÁP [equivalent to Chinese (fa3) ]

As Dhamma has many meanings depending on a particular context, the word "Pháp" in Vietnamese can also have many meanings: the teaching, the truth, the law, the principle, the object, the thing, etc.

b) Transliteration (rarely used):

ĐẠT-MA [equivalent to Chinese 達 摩 (da2 ma1) ]

Suan.
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

So far we have:
Roman/Latin
Sinhala
Chinese
Japanese
Hebrew
Arabic
Devanagari (Hindi)
Cyrillic (Russian)
Ethiopic
Hieroglyphic? (Not sure if it's accurate yet but I encourage anyone to confirm if it is)
Greek
Vietnamese

And I'd like to add Syriac and Hangeul (Korean) to the list. Since Syriac comes from the same language family as Arabic and Hebrew I followed their example in transliterating the word as "D + A + M + M + A."

Hangeul is interesting in that each syllable is formed in such a way that it resembles a syllabic alphabet or syllabary but in fact it is very much a phonetic alphabet like Roman, Greek, or Cyrillic.

That said, I encourage any speakers of Korean to correct my transliteration if it is incorrect. I am only mildly familair with Hangeul right now and am using Omniglot.com (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm) as a guide.

:anjali:
E.D.

Post by E.D. »

Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

E.D. wrote:Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:
सील समाधि पञ्ञा
sīla samādhi paññā
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
E.D.

Post by E.D. »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
E.D. wrote:Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:
सील समाधि पञ्ञा
sīla samādhi paññā
Thanks so much!! :thanks:
JackV

Post by JackV »

I have found a site which translates (so it says) into Devanagari script. I just wondered if anyone can confirm that the translation it does is correct. Anyone read Devanagari?

http://www.codewallah.com/diCrunch/diCrunch.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just typed in Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta from Unicode to Devanagari and presto!

I so hope that it is correct because I and I been running around like a headless cyber chicken looking for some Pali script of these terms (I know that Pali hasn't it own script per se) If anyone could help me with this it would be a great help.

Metta blessings
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Just remembered this thread while getting a link for a friend :)

This is Dharma in Korean달마
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill