The noble 8-way

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
villkorkarma

The noble 8-way

Post by villkorkarma »

How important is right understanding right thougt right u know so on

I mean.. Have you read about S N Goenkas teacher U bakhin he wouldnt teach the vipassana to a person becourse he was testing other teqniques before that?
That isnt fairplay if you ask me?
and sn goenka said.. that ubakhin did reach the goal nibbanic peace.

And a teacher i had on a course said. IF you dont finish this 10 days course I wont let you go to another 10 day course in the future".
And I ask him and he said, "i feel like ecstacy".
So he have done progress but without right understandning from my wiew of point

?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Ben

Re: The noble 8-way

Post by Ben »

That's not true villkorkarma

You should read 'The Calm Mind" by John Coleman. Coleman was a student of U Ba Khin and was taught by him while he was trying out different spiritual approaches. In 'The Calm Mind" Coleman describes his spiritual path which began with, and ended with U Ba Khin.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

The Eightfold Path is the way to liberation, so very important.

just because we may think something is correct or right doesn't mean it is right according to the Dhamma.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Manapa wrote:just because we may think something is correct or right doesn't mean it is right according to the Dhamma.
:thumbsup:
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Okey thanks, but I live in Sweden I looked at http://www.amazon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but i didnt find the book by john.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

It is actually called "The Quiet Mind" by John E. Coleman.

some buying options:
http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Vipassana-M ... 636&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... cfm?PC=548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the correction Moggalana. Its been about five or six years since reading it and shortly after I loaned it to someone who never returned it!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ben wrote:I loaned it to someone who never returned it!
Human nature, no?...fortunately not everyone's... :smile:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed Venerable!
I only hope the person who borrowed the book was inspired enough to start investigating the Dhamma.
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725