How to do breath mediation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
confusedlayman

How to do breath mediation?

Post by confusedlayman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:22 am

how to do breath meditation? I am controlling breath instead of observing the normal breath. I simply can't observe it. please tell me step by step procedure that is written different English from Sutta.
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

sunnat

Re: How to do breath mediation?

Post by sunnat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:21 am

Have somewhere you can sit comfortably undisturbed.

Sit. Comfortable. Relax.

Bring your attention to the area around the mouth.

Don't worry about whether you are controlling the breath or not.

When you notice the breath air moving over the skin below / at the nose try to keep the awareness there, noticing when the breath stops and starts, moves, stops starts etc.

Try to keep that awareness continuous for longer times.

Keep practicing.

For a start try 15 minutes every morning and evening.
Last edited by sunnat on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:27 am

Possibly allow this guidance from Thanissaro Bhikkhu if you have not tried it already.
https://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/gui ... 40min).mp3
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 am

confusedlayman wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:22 am
how to do breath meditation? I am controlling breath instead of observing the normal breath. I simply can't observe it.
It's like in cricket. Batsmen practice in the nets so much until the shot plays itself.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

Pondera

Post by Pondera » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:58 am

Step 1. Google “anapanasati sutta”.
Step 2. Read “anapanasati sutta”.

Conclusion: observing your breath isn’t the same as knowing your breath.

Step 3. Ask your self, “why am I even doing this?”
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:28 am

You said you delighted in the perception of signlessness.
But you are also asking for advice on how to meditate?
Something doesn't add up.

In answer to your question, there are hundreds of free books online, and YouTube videos which teach you how to meditate.
Do some research yourself.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 am

confusedlayman wrote:
how to do breath meditation? I am controlling breath instead of observing the normal breath. I simply can't observe it. please tell me step by step procedure that is written different English from Sutta.
The suttas appear to provide no "procedure" apart from giving up craving & unwholesome mental states. If the mind can be still & quiet, it can naturally feel the breath; without trying. But if you successfully try to watch the breath, after a while, the breath will calm and you won't be able to observe it; because the mental act of 'trying' becomes a hindrance. Its not easy to continuously know the breath , unless the mind can be very silent, quiet & gentle. Many offer theoretical advice but its just theory. The practise of the Buddha is giving up craving & unwholesome mental states. Kind regards

For a very crude basic practise, place the palm of one hand on your stomach and the other hand either on your chest, throat or below your nostrils. Just sit for a while and get in touch with the movement of the stomach, chest &/or throat or the touch sensation of the breath air coming out of the nostrils. Slow down & be still, if possible. Listen & feel rather than look. Kind regards.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:37 am

In addition to the other replies

An important instruction that is sometimes difficult to grasp is that you aren't trying to change anything about the breath. I used to feel like this meant you aren't trying to breathe harder or softer or in a more relaxing way or whatever. So I would do this, but all the while I was trying to somehow change how much I was feeling the breath. As though I could somehow strain and make sensations that I wasn't feeling appear, in order to experience the breath with more clarity. How the breath feels is how it feels. If that is just a very soft, subtle, slight sensation that is barely differentiated from the pause between the breaths then that is how it is. You aren't trying to change the physical sensation of the breath, or the mental experience of it to increase the clarity or make the sensations somehow stand out more than they do. How it appears is how it is. Once you realise this, it's less of a struggle.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:28 am
You said you delighted in the perception of signlessness.
But you are also asking for advice on how to meditate?
Something doesn't add up.

In answer to your question, there are hundreds of free books online, and YouTube videos which teach you how to meditate.
Do some research yourself.
Heya, that doesnt remove my defilement when in normal wirld so seeing if breath meditation can help to gain insight that doesnt dependend on perception to cut defilemets but gain insight that permanently cut off defilements
- CL (confused layman)

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:48 am

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 am
confusedlayman wrote:
The suttas appear to provide no "procedure" apart from giving up craving & unwholesome mental states. If the mind can be still & quiet, it can naturally feel the breath; without trying. But if you successfully try to watch the breath, after a while, the breath will calm and you won't be able to observe it; because the mental act of 'trying' becomes a hindrance. Its not easy to continuously know the breath , unless the mind can be very silent, quiet & gentle. Many offer theoretical advice but its just theory. The practise of the Buddha is giving up craving & unwholesome mental states. Kind regards

For a very crude basic practise, place the palm of one hand on your stomach and the other hand either on your chest, throat or below your nostrils. Just sit for a while and get in touch with the movement of the stomach, chest &/or throat or the touch sensation of the breath air coming out of the nostrils. Slow down & be still, if possible. Listen & feel rather than look. Kind regards.
Thanks. I shall try today
- CL (confused layman)

auto

Post by auto » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:56 pm

confusedlayman wrote:
if i interpret you correctly then i had same problem. When i am aware of the breath, i am controlling the breath, breath doesn't happen by itself to be able to observe it from sidelines.
and awareness gets regularly interrupted what causes stress because there is not possible to relax because awareness gets interrupted by the breath.

Yes if i am on a psycho mode like grazy then watching breath calms me down..
But if you are in your place or where you are used to be where is nothing going on, you can't get any calmer anymore, things there are way different. In this situation there is this heaviness what suffocates makes even moving a body a challenge and an effort.. and when to come aware of breathing is a godsent(you come aware of breath by itself).. when you come aware in this kind of environment the breath is different as of awareness and breath at this point seem to be coexistent.
It seem its not popular amongst people to make a distinction on these two modes, one is your typical yoga class breathing and other is where you are already calm and seeing mental contents.

when you come aware of the breath there is a reason for it, there will awareness enter into relevant channel and the light and thickness makes you come aware and noticing it is yet another step what you not need repeat on these settings anymore, mind got developed a bit. But before that you got to cultivate and circulate breath through different points not the regular breath but the breath what you come aware of by itself and then know that you are aware of the breath you also then can sense what is the hindrance there or is there something missing and resolving that will get you to next point.

that still is too much you can't do it unless eyes are made one, opened or whatever, the thing(when to come aware, awareness magnetizes onto it) in the head needs be descended down to torso, since breath is used for next steps. Also breath is used for other things too and therefore maybe some steps what involves breathing are prior to this too..information is in translated texts etc read a lot.

form

Post by form » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:48 pm

Be completely adsorbed to breath. speed, depth........The breath is not u, u cannot control it.