Meditation Objects

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
form

Meditation Objects

Post by form »

I like to use different objects, even switching around in a single session. But more than half the time I use breath.

Do we need to master all the objects to have full benefits?
SarathW

Re: Meditation Objects

Post by SarathW »

No.
Master one.
Breath as the meditation object is the best in my opinion.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

form wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 am I like to use different objects, even switching around in a single session. But more than half the time I use breath.

Could you give some examples of the other objects you're using?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
form

Post by form »

Dinsdale wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 am
form wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 am I like to use different objects, even switching around in a single session. But more than half the time I use breath.

Could you give some examples of the other objects you're using?
Out of the 40 objects mentioned in Visuddhimagga, I tried most except a few which I know will not be effective for me like sangha, Buddha. In the past I have tried out objects that are not in the list of 40, like a sound, or chanting heart sutra, even a very consistent sublime sensation in the body.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

form wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am ...
Out of the 40 objects mentioned in Visuddhimagga, I tried most ...
:bow:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Constantly changing meditation objects is akin to digging lots of shallow holes, it would be better to put your effort into digging one or two deep holes.

Having said that, I think having a few objects that you select from consciously isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just look into your motivations for making the change. Are you doing so in the way a carpenter might change tools, to get a specific result? Or are you doing so because you are plagued with restlessness and doubt? If you find you keep changing because you feel like it's not working or you can't decide what is best etc. Then you need to discard the doubt rather than the meditation object. If that rings true for you then I'd advise sticking to one object regardless of whether it succeeds or fails in a given session.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

form wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am
Out of the 40 objects mentioned in Visuddhimagga, I tried most except a few which I know will not be effective for me like sangha, Buddha. In the past I have tried out objects that are not in the list of 40, like a sound, or chanting heart sutra, even a very consistent sublime sensation in the body.
That's incredible that you tried almost all the meditation objects 🙌
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

form wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 am Do we need to master all the objects to have full benefits?
I dont think so, but I've found that it is useful to have different tools in the box. And some methods might work better for different people, or at different times.
It's not just about the objects, its also about how the objects are used.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

form wrote:I like to use different objects, even switching around in a single session. But more than half the time I use breath.

Switching topics in a single session is probably not a good idea. But depending on a particular situation, a particular topic might be more useful and effective. For example, when lust arises due to seeing some young voluptuous woman, switching to the foulness of the body and 32 parts would be appropriate. When anger or hatred arise due to seeing some nasty person, switching to Metta would be a good idea. When doing sitting meditation alone in a room, it'd be best to stick with one topic throughout the whole session. Anyway, it'd take some time and some trials and errors experimenting with different approaches until one gets the right calibration most appropriate for one's development of serenity and insight.
form

Post by form »

After reading visuddhimagga and vimuttimagga parts on supernormal power, it seems like different power uses specific object and have a set of specific details to activate the ability. I think that is what makes me wonder if different objects may not be the same in leading specific activation of a certain ability. This differs from the suttas common representation of once one is in fourth jhana, one simply wish specifically to activate a specific ability.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

The point is to develop samadhi , once you are in , you can develop other ability .
You always gain by giving