Thankfulness

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Zachary

Thankfulness

Post by Zachary »

Hi all,

I want to practice more gratitude meditation, just counting my blessings. This is because I feel I don't appreciate the things in life anymore.

But can a practice of gratitude go together with a practice of insight meditation or are they opposites of eachother? How does thankfulness stand against something like detachment.

I hope gratitude meditation will work a bit the same like Lovingkindness meditation. Let me know your thoughts.

Greetings Zachary
SDC

Re: Thankfulness

Post by SDC »

Hi Zachary,

I'm going to move this thread to our meditation section. A link will remain in this section as well.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi Zachary

You may find this book helpful in answering your questions:
Gratitude

Gratitude is an important quality that lies at the foundation of our practice and the Buddhist culture in general. This book is a collection of talks on the theme of gratitude from some of the most senior teachers in our tradition: Luang Por Liem, Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Pasanno, Ajahn Amaro, Ajahn Nyanadhammo, and Ajahn Jayasaro.
https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/567-gratitude

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Volo

Post by Volo »

Gratitude is an important quality:
AN 3.114 wrote:Bhikkhus, the manifestation of three [persons] is rare in the world. (1) Tathāgata, (2) A person who teaches the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathāgata (3) A grateful and thankful person.
Concerning vipassana I think the more benefit you get from vipassana the more grateful you would feel towards those who made your practice possible and instructions available, especially of course to the Buddha.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Volo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm Gratitude is an important quality:
AN 3.114 wrote:Bhikkhus, the manifestation of three [persons] is rare in the world. (1) Tathāgata, (2) A person who teaches the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathāgata (3) A grateful and thankful person.
Concerning vipassana I think the more benefit you get from vipassana the more grateful you would feel towards those who made your practice possible and instructions available, especially of course to the Buddha.
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Something else you might read:

Gratitude in the Buddha’s Teaching Compiled with the assistance and guidance of Venerable Nyanadassana Thero; Mahinda Wijesinghe.

And

The Lessons of Gratitude by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Volo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm
And, conversely, the more one focuses on the contributions of others towards one's world, the more one is moved away from notions of autonomous selfhood and ownership.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Also, here’s a list of talks on gratitude from Audio Dharma

https://www.audiodharma.org/talks/?search=Gratitude+
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Zachary

Post by Zachary »

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies and read and audio suggestions!

Now I have more confidence that practicing gratitude is a good thing!
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested