The Healing power of Buddhist Chanting

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
polo

The Healing power of Buddhist Chanting

Post by polo »

Almost a year ago I watched a documentary on Youtube about a man in China who had snake like skin problem. It is quite an interesting documentary especially for people who are of Buddhist faith.
The documentary video started with the interview of a man about 30 years old who had skin that looked like snake skin. He said his skin problem started after he killed a snake and ate it. Not long after that he developed that snake skin problem. A part from the ugly sight, the skin peeled off and it caused pain when the skin became very dry. He was staying in bed most of the time because he felt weak and the pain was bad when he moved about. He had been to doctors but they couldn't do anything for him other than giving him some soothing cream to apply on the skin.
A group of Mahayana Buddhists (about 5 of them both ladies and men) came to visit him. They explained to him the Karmic Theory- and in his case it's the instant karmic suffering he was going through after he killed the snake and ate it.
They taught him to chant the Buddhist Scripts and they were very supportive in every aspects. They rented a place near his house to live so that they could visit him everyday. Two of them actually lived in his house so they could help him all day and night.
They even cooked vegetarian foods for him . The video showed them teaching him to chant (by the way it was all Mahayana Chinese chanting scripts). And these Buddhists volunteers also chanted together with him.
Surprising he recovered after about 2 months. Totally recovered and he became a vegetarian. My question here is : Is it possible that the Chanting changed the brain waves and the breathing frequency as well as the strong belief in the healing power that cured the snake like skin problem?
I am not inclined to believe that the Buddhist Chanting has supernatural power.
Any members of the forum have any scientific explanation. It is with regret that I did not take down the link to this Youtube. Now I couldn't find it anymore.
DooDoot

Re: The Healing power of Buddhist Chanting

Post by DooDoot »

Buddho susuddho karuṇā-mahaṇṇavo [chant many times]

The Buddha, absolutely pure, with ocean-like compassion

Pali Chanting page 9 or at 11.05 in the video

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

There is a medical condition called ichthyosis vulgaris in which the skin appears scale-like. There is no known cure, but treatment with creams and diet is sometimes effective.

With the information given, there is no way to prove that the fact that the person eating a snake is directly related to the skin problem, or that the chanting did or didn't heal it. It is entirely possible that the vegetarian diet provided by the Buddhists' you mentioned could be responsible for the return of normal skin.

Edit for typos.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

This is confounding what causes a medical condition with spiritual practice and trying to interweave the two is a great way to drive yourself insane. (Said as a person with medical conditions).

Dhamma practice is good in all forms because it is meritorious and we all have bad kamma apart from specific incidences we speculate about,
santa100

Post by santa100 »

polo wrote:Surprising he recovered after about 2 months. Totally recovered and he became a vegetarian. My question here is : Is it possible that the Chanting changed the brain waves and the breathing frequency as well as the strong belief in the healing power that cured the snake like skin problem?
The Chanting in and of itself might not be sufficient in helping to heal, it's the combination of all the favorable conditions/supports together as a whole that contributed to it: the good care both physically and spiritually from noble friends, the healthy vegetarian diet, the peace of reciting the Buddha's scriptures, the renouncing of unwholesome harmful habits, etc.. Even for someone who has zero belief in Kamma, with all the favorable conditions above, there's got to be some sort of improvement, let alone someone who has strong belief in the Buddha and the law of causation. For afterall, kamma is not just something someone did 10 lives ago, it's also something someone did a split second ago. A student who might not be very bright but can still pass an exam with high grade. His past kamma many lives ago might've caused his dullness, but it is his immediate kamma of working hard and studying diligently in this life that helps him successfully passes the exam.
chownah

Post by chownah »

While buddhist chanting seems to be for many people one component for the promotion of a holistic type of health it has never been shown (that I know of) to have healing powers in the way that the term "healing powers" is usually understood in the world.
chownah
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

chownah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 am While buddhist chanting seems to be for many people one component for the promotion of a holistic type of health it has never been shown (that I know of) to have healing powers in the way that thee term "healing powers" is usually understood in the world.
chownah
Mind explain how is it the healing powers according as understood in the world ?
You always gain by giving
chownah

Post by chownah »

sentinel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:32 am
chownah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 am While buddhist chanting seems to be for many people one component for the promotion of a holistic type of health it has never been shown (that I know of) to have healing powers in the way that thee term "healing powers" is usually understood in the world.
chownah
Mind explain how is it the healing powers according as understood in the world ?
I think in the world an example of how most people think of "healing power" is a direct cause and effect relationship between the application of an agent and some observable improvement in health. An example of this might be something like an antibiotic is administered to someone who has an infection and it is easily seen (and proven scientifically) that the infection was removed from the application of the antibiotic....people would say that the antibiotic healed the person of the infection.

If someone wants to use a different idea about "healing power" it would be good to explain what is meant. If someone uses a definition somewhat consistent with my example then it seems that buddhist chanting does not give the results which would lead someone to use that term. This is not to say the buddhist chanting is worthless...as I said "buddhist chanting seems to be for many people one component for the promotion of a holistic type of health". It should be noted that promoting health is a much broader topic than just "healing power" in that health is more than just the absence of "disease"....with respect to this buddhist chanting is likely to be better for some people in promoting health than is penicillin although I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea and think that buddhist chanting itself can "cure" them of whatever "disease" they might be afflicted with....and I think that alot of the people in the world think that "healing power" means the ability to "cure" them of their "disease".
chownah
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Oh I see , but the situation is when one is afflict with terminally illness , there is no other alternative then that is the only option left .
This particular ill person would not remain calm and rational because the life is at stake .
Healed from sickness doesn't mean totally healthy , but when a person is dying and get recovered that is certainly a kind of healing .
How that happens is another matter .
Miracles does occurs once in a while .
You always gain by giving
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

polo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:41 am Almost a year ago I watched a documentary on Youtube about a man in China who had snake like skin problem. It is quite an interesting documentary especially for people who are of Buddhist faith.
The documentary video started with the interview of a man about 30 years old who had skin that looked like snake skin. He said his skin problem started after he killed a snake and ate it. Not long after that he developed that snake skin problem. A part from the ugly sight, the skin peeled off and it caused pain when the skin became very dry. He was staying in bed most of the time because he felt weak and the pain was bad when he moved about. He had been to doctors but they couldn't do anything for him other than giving him some soothing cream to apply on the skin.
A group of Mahayana Buddhists (about 5 of them both ladies and men) came to visit him. They explained to him the Karmic Theory- and in his case it's the instant karmic suffering he was going through after he killed the snake and ate it.
They taught him to chant the Buddhist Scripts and they were very supportive in every aspects. They rented a place near his house to live so that they could visit him everyday. Two of them actually lived in his house so they could help him all day and night.
They even cooked vegetarian foods for him . The video showed them teaching him to chant (by the way it was all Mahayana Chinese chanting scripts). And these Buddhists volunteers also chanted together with him.
Surprising he recovered after about 2 months. Totally recovered and he became a vegetarian. My question here is : Is it possible that the Chanting changed the brain waves and the breathing frequency as well as the strong belief in the healing power that cured the snake like skin problem?
Any members of the forum have any scientific explanation. It is with regret that I did not take down the link to this Youtube. Now I couldn't find it anymore.
German monk, Ven. Mettiko, recalls a ghostly experience in Thailand. What's interesting is that all the chanting and spread of metta(loving-kindness) didn't work. He nearly lost it, but finally defeated the demon(asura)...

Ven. Mettiko said something so powerful...the demon finally let go...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Listening to Ajahn Achalo talk about his parents @ 50:20 - 59:15 deeply moved me...the power of metta is so beautiful...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "