Pain in the patookus

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Pain in the patookus

Post by tiltbillings »

Here is a little something from a e-list I am on:
A fascinating tale of how a ex-Theravadan novice accepted Jesus Christ as
savior because of his hemorrhoid issue¡­ It is unfortunate¡­ because if he
had ordained as a Chinese novice, he would surely know of the Sutra on the
Healing of Hemorrhoids (I kid you not [google translation:] scripture Taisho Tripitaka 21st newly volumes No. 1325 "Buddha said that after treatment hemorrhoids" http://w3.cbeta.org/result/normal/T21/1325_001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) then he would not have been a Christian. Oh well, his karma:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Guy

Re: Pain in the patookus

Post by Guy »

I used to blast Christians for their beliefs, so maybe it's just because of my karma that I keep running into this kind of stuff.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Ben

Post by Ben »

Simplisic and erroneous drivel.
It epitomises the moral and spiritual vaccuum at the heart of their chosen path.
Fortunately, not all christians are so ignorant.
Thanks for sharing Tilt.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hahaha....

This guy is from one of those 'mega-churches' in Singapore.

It is possible that the only kind of Buddhism he knows of is the unthinking, ignorant good-luck-amulet-praying-for-good-fortune type which, according to Ven. Dhammika whom I spoke to when I visited Singapore last year, is still very prevalent there. This was the kind of Buddhism I encountered too when I was growing up there. But there are obviously more informed kinds of Buddhism now.

Nevertheless, in making this sort of argument he is creating an alter-ego of what he criticises--an unthinking, ignorant Christianity.

Ah the irony....
With metta,
zavk
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

zavk wrote: Nevertheless, in making this sort of argument he is creating an alter-ego of what he criticises--an unthinking, ignorant Christianity.

Ah the irony....
Alas. Irony is lost on people such as that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
salmon

Post by salmon »

Pity those who have to condemn other religions to feel confident of their own. Those who have confidence in their own faith will just laugh this off.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Are these videos backwards? Seems like the first should be second... I chuckled when told that women are equal in Christianity. I have a few friends who would debate that.

I think the real miracle on that stage is the podium. Sleek and unintrusive design.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Guy wrote:I used to blast Christians for their beliefs, so maybe it's just because of my karma that I keep running into this kind of stuff.
Makes sense... :thumbsup:
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I always find keeping Dhp. verse 50 in mind helpful when confronted with this kind of stuff.
Not the faults of others, nor what others have done or left undone, but one’s own deeds, done and left undone, should one consider.
It goes both ways.
salmon

Post by salmon »

It seems the pastor's kamma has caught up with him and he is in trouble with the law for those statements.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 11/1/.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pastor's comments on Buddhism/Taoism "inappropriate & unacceptable": MHA
Posted: 08 February 2010 2345 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Internal Security Department (ISD) has called up Pastor Rony Tan of Lighthouse Evangelism in connection with his comments and insinuations about Buddhism and Taoism at his church sessions.

These sessions were video-recorded and made available on Lighthouse Evangelism's website. Video clips of these sessions subsequently became available on YouTube and other websites.

The Ministry of Home Affairs said Pastor Tan's comments were highly inappropriate and unacceptable as they trivialised and insulted the beliefs of Buddhists and Taoists.

They can also give rise to tension and conflict between the Buddhist/Taoist and Christian communities.

ISD told Pastor Tan that in preaching or proselytising his faith, he must not run down other religions, and must be mindful of the sensitivities of other religions.

Pastor Tan has expressed his deepest apologies and remorse. He deeply regrets that he has been insensitive and offensive towards the Buddhist and Taoist faiths, and that his comments have saddened and hurt their followers.

He has promised that it will never happen again and has also affirmed that he will tell his members to respect other beliefs and build a harmonious Singapore.

- CNA/ir
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Correct...
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

zavk

Post by zavk »

tiltbillings wrote:

Indeed! :)

Singapore, as some of might know, has a bit of a reputation for being a 'nanny state'. The very same Internal Security Act which empowers the ISD has, in the past, been used to legitimize the detention without trial of opposition politicians, or generally anyone regarded as a 'dissident'. It has also been used to legitimize the shutting down of independent news media, usually on the grounds that unregulated media might incite 'civil unrest'. Whether these punitive measures are justified or not is arguable.

Anyway, I am glad that he is getting his just desserts. But the law that curtails this sort of activity is a bit of a double edged sword.
With metta,
zavk
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

tiltbillings wrote:Here is a little something from a e-list I am on:
A fascinating tale of how a ex-Theravadan novice accepted Jesus Christ as
savior because of his hemorrhoid issue¡­ It is unfortunate¡­ because if he
had ordained as a Chinese novice, he would surely know of the Sutra on the
Healing of Hemorrhoids (I kid you not [google translation:] scripture Taisho Tripitaka 21st newly volumes No. 1325 "Buddha said that after treatment hemorrhoids" http://w3.cbeta.org/result/normal/T21/1325_001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) then he would not have been a Christian. Oh well, his karma:
Well, you should know that those who denigrate The Hemorrhoid Sutra :bow: :bow: :bow: are destined to be reborn as a woman in the lower Realm of Constipated Catholic Octomums. :twisted:

_/|\_
_/|\_
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Much metta to both of them, as well as the people laughing in the background. :hug:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka