Why the wealthiest person not buddhist ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
santa100

Re: Why the wealthiest person not buddhist ?

Post by santa100 »

sentinel wrote:If looking at the highest realm i.e. neither perception not non perception , inhabitants are mostly belongs to those non buddhist .
Uh.... have you actually been to that realm to know that for a fact??
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Not everything is due to kamma.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have associated the richest people in Sri Lanka and some overseas.
They are mainly Muslims, Jewish, and Christians.

These people got some of the following qualities but not all.
For instance, only Muslims and Jewes (who I know) do not consume alcohol and smoke.

-They do not consume alcohol or smoke.
-They work very hard
- They look after hard workers (generous)
- They are very careful when they spend
- They don't wast
-They are well educated
- They are very close to their family and friends
- They are trustworthy
- They are very religious

Then why Buddhist not come to the same level. Because they do not follow the Buddhas teaching.
The qualities I mentioned above are found in Parabhava and Singalovada sutta.
But only a handful of Buddhist knows about the above two Sutta.
I was very lucky to ready above Sutta when I was young.

In other words, many rich people are practicing true Buddhists. (Sila)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

sentinel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am Jeff bezos , Bill gates , Warren buffett among the wealthiest person in the world and they are not buddhist . The texts appears to say that offering makes to the Buddha and arhat and Buddha dhamma sangha yields the highest merits . Why then the wealthiest person were not from buddhist fellows or wealthiest country not of buddhist nation ?

Thanks
Many of the people who gave to the Sangha during the time of the Buddha are residing in heaven now for those acts of generosity towards the Sangha. Some, when finally human again, will be very wealthy, I am sure.

Kevin
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm Not everything is due to kamma.
Agree.
There are five Niyamas named Kamma,Dhamma,Utu,Citta and Biju.
The most strongest is Citta Niyama in my opinion.
Which mean you can change many things in this life by effort.
The idea Kamma is every thing is a Hindu teaching not Buddhist.
But many Buddhist think every thing happen due to Kamma unfortunately.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm Not everything is due to kamma.
Agree.
There are five Niyamas named Kamma,Dhamma,Utu,Citta and Biju.
The most strongest is Citta Niyama in my opinion.
Which mean you can change many things in this life by effort.
The idea Kamma is every thing is a Hindu teaching not Buddhist.
But many Buddhist think every thing happen due to Kamma unfortunately.
Here from Paticca samuppada the sankara of next continuation of life after death depends on citta said as avidya paccaya sankara. Here what is the link between karma and citta.
But kamma spreads the mode of living , poor or rich, yet citta can change this kamma as explained in velama sutta or lona phala sutta. It is best to strive on effects of citta to be relieved from suffering.
Panca niyama darma at times is questioned for its links as whether they are based on karma, a complex question.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agee.
If every thing happen due to past Kamma, we will neve be able to liberate from the Samsara.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Nwad wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm Because buddhists are bad clients. Detachment, non-greed, simple way of life, etc. Buddhism goes agains capitalism.
This is applicable only for monks not lay people.
Buddhist people are miss informed about the requirement of lay people with monastics.
Most of the Sutta are aimed for monastics.
It applicable to lay people only if you a renounced lay person such as Anagami.

Buddha's major supporters are the wealthiest people.
Even now, many Buddhist supporters are wealthy. (I am not talking about David. :tongue: )
Visaka's necklace alone worth millions of dollars in today's value.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 am This is applicable only for monks not lay people.
But if lay person maintain and develop his greed (by indulging in buying objects and hi-tech sens pleasures) how it fits with 4NT and 8NP with a Right Intention of renounciation? There is some exceptions but I think that buddhists are bad clients and that Dhamma goes against capitalistic tendencies. I can mistake. :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Nwad wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:59 am
SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 am This is applicable only for monks not lay people.
But if lay person maintain and develop his greed (by indulging in buying objects and hi-tech sens pleasures) how it fits with 4NT and 8NP with a Right Intention of renounciation? There is some exceptions but I think that buddhists are bad clients and that Dhamma goes against capitalistic tendencies. I can mistake. :anjali:

The Buddha allowed for capitalism for lay people.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:11 am The Buddha allowed for capitalism for lay people.
When I say capitalism I don't say commercial activity. As i understand it, capitalism is a social and economic organisation based on accumulation of capital/possessions. And as i understand Dhamma, is about renunciation (Right Intention) non accumulation, Middle Way etc.
So yes commercial activity is ok, but capitalism (as described before) fits not so good with Dhamma. Imho. :roll: :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sentinel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am Jeff bezos , Bill gates , Warren buffett among the wealthiest person in the world and they are not buddhist . The texts appears to say that offering makes to the Buddha and arhat and Buddha dhamma sangha yields the highest merits . Why then the wealthiest person were not from buddhist fellows or wealthiest country not of buddhist nation ?
Do the texts say that "the highest merits" from offerings are higher than everyone else in the whole world, or are they just refering to Buddhist practitioners?

Maybe those people you mentioned worked very hard to get rich and/or had family inheritances.

Also:

Keep in mind that kamma is not a system of rewards or punishments. It is simply a natural principle that any intentional act will have its corresponding result, when conditions are right.

http://www.justbegood.net/MoreQuestions.htm
Plus I recommend reading what Ajahn Amaro has to say about kamma and the 5 Niyamas in this little booklet:

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/up ... -Amaro.pdf

:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I understand your point.
Third precepts are not to engage in excessive sense pleasures.
In my opinion, rich people do not have time to engage in sense pleasures.
Middle-class people are perhaps more involved with sense pleasure.
Perhaps rich people are spending more time providing sense pleasure for poor people and making money.
Also, note that mediation is one of the highest pleasures!
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 am
I understand your point.
Third precepts are not to engage in excessive sense pleasures.
In my opinion, rich people do not have time to engage in sense pleasures.
Middle-class people are perhaps more involved with sense pleasure.
Perhaps rich people are spending more time providing sense pleasure for poor people and making money.
Also, note that mediation is one of the highest pleasures!

Supposedly it's THE highest pleasure.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 am In my opinion, rich people do not have time to engage in sense pleasures.
Its true. They also have no time to develop their spiritual qualities i suppose. 1 hour of their lives cost to much, so i think many of them have only moneh and greed on their mind. I can mistake, i dont know personnaly very rich peoples. But i now that some son's of really rich peoples are bhikkhus or seeking for ordination. So perhaps a rich person can become a great donor because of going forth of their sons and daughters ?
tamdrin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 am Supposedly it's THE highest pleasure.
The only pleasure that Buddha said to not be affraid of.