Why Buddhism is not growing?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
binocular

Re: Why Buddhism is not growing?

Post by binocular » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm
Look! A wrongly grasped snake! Let's see if it does what the Buddha said it would do...
A snake is a snake.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 pm
Are they true Buddhists? :tongue: Maybe you're paying attention to the wrong people...

[Notwithstanding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman, and possible misinterpretation of intent...]
I think they are true, good Buddhists.

It's just that humanist sensibilites have no place in Buddhism, or in any other religion and spirituality, for that matter.
When someone with such sensibilities approaches religious/spiritual people, a disaster is inevitable.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 am

:popcorn:
binocular wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm
Look! A wrongly grasped snake! Let's see if it does what the Buddha said it would do...
A snake is a snake.
And wrong grasping is wrong grasping.

Snakes are just part of nature, and if you go looking for them the benefit or harm is entirely down to how they are dealt with.

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 am
Snakes are just part of nature, and if you go looking for them the benefit or harm is entirely down to how they are dealt with.
A snake is a snake. Being proud of being compared to a snake ... well, that's natural.
Hence, humanist sensibilites have no place in Buddhism, or in any other religion and spirituality, for that matter.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 am

binocular wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am
A snake is a snake. Being proud of being compared to a snake ... well, that's natural.
Hence, humanist sensibilites have no place in Buddhism, or in any other religion and spirituality, for that matter.
MN 22 (the Alagaddupama Sutta) doesn't compare anyone to a snake, or mention pride, so I don't see your point here.

As I don't see the point, I don't know whether it entails the view that humanist sensibilities have no place in Buddhism. There are plenty of perceptive modern humanist interpretations of Buddhism, so as a stand-alone point it is not particularly compelling.

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 pm
binocular wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 pm
Because so many Buddhists are authoritarian types who treat others like they don't exist, or at least like they don't matter.
Are they true Buddhists? :tongue: Maybe you're paying attention to the wrong people...

[Notwithstanding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman, and possible misinterpretation of intent...]
And don't try to make this about me.

The OP is asking how come Buddhism is not growing. The posters here have offered various reasons. I have offered some too.