Why Buddhism is not growing?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Jerafreyr

Re: Why Buddhism is not growing?

Post by Jerafreyr »

I prefer the slow, sure, strong growth of the bodhi tree. Something magic about being in the middle of nowhere, when there is nothing to do but strive, surrounded by trees distant from cities, where time itself slows.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I quote the above often. Contemporary Buddhism is not mostly catching "gods & humans" in its net, as the Buddha intended. It is mostly catching "hungry ghosts & hell beings" thus become a "therapeutic" tradition rather than a socially orientated tradition. I imagine a "therapeutic" tradition would struggle to grow because it is based on healing suffering rather than maintaining well-being.
Unfortunately, Buddhism is for the people who are suffering or understand the suffering.
As we know there are three kinds of suffering. Dukkha, Viparinama Dukkha and Sankhara Dukka.
People who suffer from Sankhara Dukkha are "gods and humans" due to their stupidity they do not realise it.
In that reagard, I would say "hungry ghosts and hell beings" are wiser to learn Dhamma and they have a better chance.
On the otherhand, I think there are more "hungry ghosts and hell beings" than "gods and human"

:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 pmAs we know there are three kinds of suffering. Dukkha, Viparinama Dukkha and Sankhara Dukka.
I know there are the three kinds of suffering but I doubt SarathW knows exactly what the three kinds of suffering are.
SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 pmPeople who suffer from Sankhara Dukkha are "gods and humans" due to their stupidity they do not realise it.
I imagine gods & humans are affected by each of the three kinds of suffering.
SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 pmIn that regard, I would say "hungry ghosts and hell beings" are wiser to learn Dhamma and they have a better chance.
The above idea is obviously different to the teaching of the Buddha. The Buddha referred to bhikkhus from "good family" who enter his Sangha.
SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 pmUnfortunately, Buddhism is for the people who are suffering or understand the suffering.
The "suffering" the suttas generally refer to is the suffering of birth, old age, illness, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair from separation from the loved, etc. The suttas appear to not refer to the "suffering" from drug use, sexual promiscuity, addiction, etc, which is the suffering of the hungry ghosts & hell-beings.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

from drug use, sexual promiscuity, addiction, etc, which is the suffering of the hungry ghosts & hell-beings.
You have to be a bit more kind to them. They suffer a lot and need help.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 amYou have to be a bit more kind to them. They suffer a lot and need help.
The above is the opposite to my posts. My posts say focusing on the above is why Buddhism is not growing. Regardless, your post does not explain how exactly they are to be helped.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 amYou have to be a bit more kind to them. They suffer a lot and need help.
The above is the opposite to my posts. My posts say focusing on the above is why Buddhism is not growing. Regardless, your post does not explain how exactly they are to be helped.

Why is Buddhism not growing? Porbably because of arrogant and people like doodoo. Why does this forum allow people like this on here? :toilet:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

ChooChoo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm
DooDoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 am

Why is Buddhism not growing? Porbably because of arrogant and people like doodoo. Why does this forum allow people like this on here? :toilet:
Without Mara, no Buddha!
:tongue:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

ChooChoo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm Why is Buddhism not growing?
If Buddhism does not take root in families, I doubt it will grow. Related topic here.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:33 pm
If Buddhism does not take root in families, I doubt it will grow. Related topic here.
I agree and that is what I posted in the related thread too. If you look at the two most successful denominations or sects in terms of number of adherents, it is:

1. Sunni Islam about 1.5 billion
2. Catholics about 1.3 billion

Both sects above have a strong family heritage and tend to shun leaving the religion. In some nations, it is even illegal and punishable by death to leave the religion (Sunni Islam). That is one way to ensure the religion thrives and doesn't decrease in numbers. :o

I'm not saying Buddhism should do anything like that, but it could use some improvements with more family type functions. In the U.S., Spirit Rock and IMS have some family programs and are creating a more community setting, but those are only 2 places that I know of that are doing that. Otherwise, it is primarily the ethnic immigrant temples that are leading the way in community functions.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

DNS wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 pm
DooDoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:33 pm
...Both sects above have a strong family heritage and tend to shun leaving the religion. In some nations, it is even illegal and punishable by death to leave the religion (Sunni Islam). That is one way to ensure the religion thrives and doesn't decrease in numbers. :o

I'm not saying Buddhism should do anything like that, but it could use some improvements with more family type functions. In the U.S., Spirit Rock and IMS have some family programs and are creating a more community setting, but those are only 2 places that I know of that are doing that. Otherwise, it is primarily the ethnic immigrant temples that are leading the way in community functions.
I know this is a Theravada forum, but thought you might be interested to know that other branches of Buddhism are also working on increasing family participation. One example here https://www.facebook.com/events/394989097969142/ (there were more than 2 there!); there are quite a few Tibetan-based groups that offer family programs, and Shambhala offers a family summer camp.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Justsit wrote:and Shambhala offers a family summer camp.
Absolutely no offence to you intended, Justsit, but in view of all the recent scandals involving the Tibetan Buddhist Shambala organisation,their family summer camp would definately not be a place I'd recommend to anyone myself!

https://religionnews.com/2019/05/13/sha ... x-scandal/

:anjali:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Aloka wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am
Justsit wrote:and Shambhala offers a family summer camp.
Absolutely no offence to you intended, Justsit, but in view of all the recent scandals involving the Tibetan Buddhist Shambala organisation,their family summer camp would definately not be a place I'd recommend to anyone myself!
No offense taken. I didn't mean to imply I was recommending any of those programs. I only mentioned them to provide examples of family centered activities in other Buddhist groups. IMO discussion of Shambhala itself is best reserved for DWM.
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pmWhy Buddhism is not growing?
Because so many Buddhists are authoritarian types who treat others like they don't exist, or at least like they don't matter.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 pm
SarathW wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pmWhy Buddhism is not growing?
Because so many Buddhists are authoritarian types who treat others like they don't exist, or at least like they don't matter.
Look! A wrongly grasped snake! Let's see if it does what the Buddha said it would do...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 pm Because so many Buddhists are authoritarian types who treat others like they don't exist, or at least like they don't matter.
Are they true Buddhists? :tongue: Maybe you're paying attention to the wrong people...

[Notwithstanding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman, and possible misinterpretation of intent...]

:heart:
Mike