budo

My basic dhamma regimen

Post by budo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm

In response to this thread and in reference to this sutta:

There are 24 hours in a day, 8 x 3 = 24. The average person spends:

- 8 hours sleeping
- 8 hours working
- 8 hours maintenance (eating, bathroom, shower) & free time

Free time can be anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours to 8 hours depending on your lifestyle (family, kids, parents, etc..)

So as in reference to the sutta AN 5.73 linked above: 25% theory, 75% meditation.

So if you have 4 hours free time that's 1 hour sutta reading, 3 hours meditating.

So what I do:

- Wake up, right away meditate 1 to 2 hours, before doing anything else
- Eat, shower, chores, work (4-12 hours)
- Read sutta (usually from Anguttara Nikaya if I'm not researching anything specific).
- Meditate 2-4 hours (1-2 hours for average person).
- Discuss on forums or read more suttas. Otherwise meditate more.
- Sleep (4 hours min or 8 hours max)

Also try to maintain satipatthana proper attention throughout the day.

How I meditate:

- First 5 minutes just relaxing and feeling good (hearing birds, etc.), fixing posture, moving neck, and letting go of areas of tension
- Focus on breath in nose area, and look straight ahead
- If fear arises or any of the 5 hindrances, apply proper antidote (brahma viharas, open eyes if sloth, 32 parts of body if there's desire, etc..)
- Look for signs or nimittas (as in the sutta on the royal chef looking at the king's signs) to enter jhana, depending on the signs I get, that will direct the meditation.
- Always end my meditation by contemplating a dhamma subject, usually dependent origination, 10 drawbacks, 5 aggregates, 7 factors of awakening, sixfold sense media, 4 noble truths, fetters, etc.. Especially if it's a question that's been on my mind, or a question that arose from reading the suttas.

Good luck!

DNS
Site Admin

Re: My basic dhamma regimen

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 pm

budo wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm
So what I do:

- Read sutta (usually from Anguttara Nikaya if I'm not researching anything specific).
:thumbsup: Good schedule, mudita for your efforts.
:twothumbsup: me too.
:thumbsup: Some believe discussing on forums is entertainment and yes it can be sometimes, but in general discussing Dhamma is a Dhamma practice. The suttas are permeated with the Buddha and other monks discussing Dhamma. An online forum is just a different medium.

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 pm

DNS wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 pm
budo wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm
So what I do:

:thumbsup: Good schedule, mudita for your efforts.
:twothumbsup: me too.
:thumbsup: Some believe discussing on forums is entertainment and yes it can be sometimes, but in general discussing Dhamma is a Dhamma practice. The suttas are permeated with the Buddha and other monks discussing Dhamma. An online forum is just a different medium.
Thanks!

Discussing dhamma is important:
“When Right View is supported by five factors it has liberation by mind and liberation by wisdom for its fruit and benefit. When, friend, Right View is supported by Virtue (Sila), Listening to (True) Dhamma (Dhammasavana), Discussion of Dhamma (Dhamma Sakaccha), Tranquillity (Samatha), Contemplation (Vipassana). Right View supported by these five factors has liberation by mind and liberationby wisdom for it's fruit and benefit.”
- MN 43

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Budo, what do you do for work, if you don't mind saying?
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Idappaccayata wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 pm
Programmer

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

budo wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 pm
Idappaccayata wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 pm
Programmer
Ahh nice. I'm in the process of learning front development right now. Does programming allow you to work from home or have a more flexible schedule, which makes for more dhamma practice?
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

santa100

Post by santa100 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Idappaccayata wrote:Ahh nice. I'm in the process of learning front development right now. Does programming allow you to work from home or have a more flexible schedule, which makes for more dhamma practice?
Since there're demands for programmers/software engineers in virtually every industries: manufacturing, academia, defense, healthcare, financial, etc., so it'd depend on the industry you're gonna work for. Typically, healthcare and academia are pretty easy-going and allow better work life balance, but the paycheck will be smaller compared to say, finance or insurance. If you'll be working for Wall street or some hedge fund, be prepared to put in a lot more hours than the standard 8 hrs/day, but you'll also get a fatter pay check, bonus, and stock options. So, there're pros and cons..

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Idappaccayata wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm
Does programming allow you to work from home or have a more flexible schedule, which makes for more dhamma practice?
Depending on the company/task. I've known various people (including one of my sons) who work for companies without an "office", which gives them quite a lot of flexibility over where they live, and so one. Of course, that can still be stressful, and requires a lot of self-discipline, but the possibilities are there...

:coffee:
Mike

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Greetings Budo,

I just wanted to congratulate you on the efforts you are going to with your practice, and to say that I look forward to reading sutta-related questions that spawn from it.

:buddha1: :reading: :buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

budo

Post by budo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:46 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm
Greetings Budo,

I just wanted to congratulate you on the efforts you are going to with your practice, and to say that I look forward to reading sutta-related questions that spawn from it.

:buddha1: :reading: :buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Thanks!

I like the emotes, shows the sutta to meditation ratio :)

:reading: :buddha1: :buddha1: :buddha1: