Mindfulness v Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Srilankaputra

Re: Mindfulness v Meditation

Post by Srilankaputra » Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm

one_awakening wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:00 am
Whenever you're practicing mindfulness you are also developing concentration. I don't think you can separate the two.
Yes. But the fullest expression of concentration is in jhana. Sati is the bud samadhi is the flower.

Actually, when we are developing mindfulness we also developing all seven Awakening factors.

imo
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

one_awakening

Post by one_awakening » Mon May 27, 2019 11:00 pm

Srilankaputra wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Actually, when we are developing mindfulness we also developing all seven Awakening factors.
I agree with concentration being one of the factors
“You only lose what you cling to”

alfa

Post by alfa » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 am

In my experience,

Mindfulness = being aware of everything at once

Concentration = being aware of ONE thing to the exclusion of everything else

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:32 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 am
Similarly, I recall the following account from the Maha-Parinibbana Sutta where the Buddha is doing walking meditation, presumably with eyes open, yet in a deep state of jhanic concentration...
That's an interesting reading. I had always read:
... And on that occasion I, having come out of the threshing-barn, was doing walking meditation in front of the door to the threshing-barn. ...
to mean that the Buddha had been in the barn during the storm, in a deep jhana or formless absorption, and had just started walking when he learned about the storm.

:heart:
Mike

DN16
    • Well...

• Walking Meditation

• &
                • the Buddha Himself
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am

"Mindfulness is the Path to the Deathless"...a short Dhamma article by Ajahn Amaro.

Excerpt:

When the Buddha said that ‘… the mindful do not die’, he did not mean that the body of a mindful person is never going to stop breathing and rot away. No. The Buddha’s body died, just like anyone else’s. When he said that the mindful never die, it meant that when the mind is awake it is not identified with the born and the dying. It is akāliko, timeless, ajāta, unborn, amara, undying. It is outside of the realm of time, individuality and space; not definable in terms of time, personality, location: ‘There is neither a coming nor a going, nor a standing still. Neither progress, nor degeneration. Neither this world, nor the other world.’[Ud 8.1] It boggles the mind: our familiar perceptions are formed in terms of here and there, inside and outside, mine and yours, progress, degeneration. But this quality of Dhamma itself – of which this awareness, this knowing faculty is the primary attribute – it is indefinable, unlocatable

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-articl ... deathless/

:anjali:

auto

Post by auto » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Aloka wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am

"Mindfulness is the Path to the Deathless"...a short Dhamma article by Ajahn Amaro.

Excerpt:

When the Buddha said that ‘… the mindful do not die’, he did not mean that the body of a mindful person is never going to stop breathing and rot away. No. The Buddha’s body died, just like anyone else’s. When he said that the mindful never die, it meant that when the mind is awake it is not identified with the born and the dying. It is akāliko, timeless, ajāta, unborn, amara, undying. It is outside of the realm of time, individuality and space; not definable in terms of time, personality, location: ‘There is neither a coming nor a going, nor a standing still. Neither progress, nor degeneration. Neither this world, nor the other world.’[Ud 8.1] It boggles the mind: our familiar perceptions are formed in terms of here and there, inside and outside, mine and yours, progress, degeneration. But this quality of Dhamma itself – of which this awareness, this knowing faculty is the primary attribute – it is indefinable, unlocatable

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-articl ... deathless/

:anjali:
well yes. Because when you are aware you look upon the selves instead of being them.

The other thing about the "indefineable, unlocateable" doesn't make sense because when you are aware that awareness or sense of self can be concentrated on when spontaneously(without cause) appear in imperturbable dimensions. Arupa realms are extensions of sakkaya but without kaya.

and after cessation of perception and feelings there are the 2nd veda out of three, the removal of hindrances(or what was the term there?) within jhanas. Whilst the first veda is about sila.

that article:
The simple gesture of non-identification, non-grasping moment by moment, is how immortality is achieved. Not ‘me’ going on forever, but ‘me’ being seen as transparent, the ‘me’ being seen as not-self.
if i think about the self feeling i have as not self this is how i can make that as an object. One of the possibility but that isn't kayabheda, dissecting from body yet, i think..at least not the non-intent one because i deliberately dissecting it..Or you have already dissected it so therefore you can do it at first place.

bkmudita

Post by bkmudita » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 pm

I am with "Mindfulness is the Path to the Deathless". look at this sutta:

AN 4 V. ROHITASSA 41 Samādhi bhāvanā suttaṃ (Development of Samādhi Sutta)

“Bhikkhus, there are these four developments of samādhi (Samādhi Bhāvanā). What four? (1) There is a development of samādhi that leads to dwelling happily in this very life. (2) There is a development of samādhi that leads to obtaining knowledge and vision. (3) There is a development of samādhi that leads to mindfulness and wise discernment. (4) There is a development of samādhi that leads to the destruction of the taints. "

Here the mindfulness and wise discernment (clear comprehension), comes after developing concentration (samadhi) and wisdom(from knowledge and vision), which hints mindfulness strength (bala) need to be used to direct concentration and wisdom strengths of the mind to the destruction of taints/fetters. Mindfulness is a critical mind strength used toward liberation.