Using blindfolds for meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
ChooChoo

Using blindfolds for meditation?

Post by ChooChoo »

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Ceisiwr

Re: Using blindfolds for meditation?

Post by Ceisiwr »

I've never come across it. Personally I just close my eyes.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

I saw a pic of what looked like Monks meditating with blindfolds on. I was just curious about it as I have no background info about the picture. Was wondering if anyone ever saw such a thing.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

ChooChoo wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:41 pm Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
I've heard that it's something the Tibetans sometimes do, but I don't know why and I doubt the Buddha would have been much impressed:
The Blessed One then asked: “Uttara, does the brahmin Pārāsariya teach his disciples the development of the faculties?”

“He does, Master Gotama.”

“But, Uttara, how does he teach his disciples the development of the faculties?”

“Here, Master Gotama, one does not see forms with the eye, one does not hear sounds with the ear. That is how the brahmin Pārāsariya teaches his disciples the development of the faculties.”

“If that is so, Uttara, then a blind man and a deaf man will have developed faculties, according to what the brahmin Pārāsariya says. For a blind man does not see forms with the eye, and a deaf man does not hear sounds with the ear.”

When this was said, the brahmin student Uttara, Pārāsariya’s pupil, sat silent, dismayed, with shoulders drooping and head down, glum, and without response.

Indriyabhāvanā Sutta, MN 152
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Volo

Post by Volo »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am I've heard that it's something the Tibetans sometimes do, but I don't know why and I doubt the Buddha would have been much impressed:
I think it's done only during some elaborated tannic empowerment. As far as I remember the idea is that a not yet initiated person is not allowed to see the sacred mandala therefore they use blindfolds, which are removed when the person is initiated. It symbolizes removing of ignorance.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

This is interesting ;
Another version of this encounter is recorded in SN 7:9.

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying among the Kosalans on the bank of the River Sundarika. And on that occasion, the brahman Sundarika Bhāradvāja was offering a fire sacrifice and performing a fire oblation on the bank of the River Sundarika. Then, having offered the fire sacrifice and performed the fire oblation, he got up from his seat and looked around to the four directions, (thinking,) “Who should eat the remains of the offering?” He saw the Blessed One sitting not far away at the root of a tree with his head covered. On seeing him, he took the remains of the offering in his left hand and his water-pot in his right, and went to the Blessed One. Then the Blessed One, at the sound of the brahman Sundarika Bhāradvāja’s footsteps, uncovered his head

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/KN/StNp/StNp3_4.html

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Volo

Post by Volo »

Srilankaputra wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 pm This is interesting ;
Another version of this encounter is recorded in SN 7:9.

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying among the Kosalans on the bank of the River Sundarika. And on that occasion, the brahman Sundarika Bhāradvāja was offering a fire sacrifice and performing a fire oblation on the bank of the River Sundarika. Then, having offered the fire sacrifice and performed the fire oblation, he got up from his seat and looked around to the four directions, (thinking,) “Who should eat the remains of the offering?” He saw the Blessed One sitting not far away at the root of a tree with his head covered. On seeing him, he took the remains of the offering in his left hand and his water-pot in his right, and went to the Blessed One. Then the Blessed One, at the sound of the brahman Sundarika Bhāradvāja’s footsteps, uncovered his head

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/KN/StNp/StNp3_4.html
I think here covering of the eyes is not intended. The brahmin couldn't see only the Buddha's head hair, and couldn't conclude that it is an ascetic (with shaved head) who is in front of him, not a brahmin worthy of receiving the offerings from the puja.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am
I've heard that it's something the Tibetans sometimes do, but I don't know why and I doubt the Buddha would have been much impressed:
That's part of an empowerment ritual at the link - and not something one is normally taught to do when meditating. When I learned about Tibetan Buddhist meditation, I was taught to meditate with eyes relaxed and half open and looking downwards towards the nose.

:anjali:
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

Thanks for the replies. Not sure but that does looks similar to the Photo I saw. Interesting. Like I said in the the other thread, Tibetan Buddhism is very colorful.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

kanni (Moung Htaung Myay Zinn) method

http://burmadhamma.blogspot.com/2017/02 ... f.html?m=1

In April 2009, Sayadaw*** left Sri Lanka for Australia to promote and spread the Buddha’s teachings. He is currently the Abbot of Kabaraye Buddhist Monastery in Endeavour Hills (ex Noble Park), VIC. Sayadaw conducts classes in the Kanni meditation method both in Burmese and English.
http://www.abkm.info/News_and_Events.html
***a student of the kanni method

Now, in recent years, first we saw Pa Auk Sayadaw and now Mong Htaung Myay Zin Tawya Sayadaw, who went even further to train Yogi for a period of 60 days to attain the ability to tour the Deva and Brahma world and for some to eradicate any illnesses in the body of a Yogi. There is a revival of the old Samatha based Vipassana method known to most meditation Yogi’s as Kanni method.
http://www.acejaw.net/Buddha/Article/MongHtaungYogi.pdf
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

Interesting. I wonder if they were meditating outside in direct sunlight? What are the benefits of blindfolds? Burmese are really big on coming up with different techniques. Thanks for sharing that.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

By legend (or ? history), The kanni method was brought from Sri Lanka to Burma through a Tibetan monk (reported to be Theravadan), and it is said that the method may be in some connection with Ledi, Webu, Pa-Auk etc. May be i can elaborate on that later.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa