Karma and Intent

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alfa

Karma and Intent

Post by alfa »

:namaste:

Suppose you do a good deed, let's say give money to the needy. Let's say you do that not because you care about the poor but because you want to accrue good karma.

Now we have two problems:

1) You've done a good deed. A poor man is happy, thanks to you.
2) You're selfish because of that very deed (since you only want good karma)

So what will be the consequence of this act? Will good results come to you because you've done a good deed. Or will bad results come to you because you've done with a good deed with selfish intent?

:anjali:
chownah

Re: Karma and Intent

Post by chownah »

I think you will find an answer in the Dana Sutta:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
chownah
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

In not a buddhist scholar,but I'm pretty sure if you do a good deed because you know it will accrue merit your actually doing it right because your having faith in cause and effect so you are performing merit with the faculty of wisdom.

I think boddhisatvas perform merit regardless of who gets it, unskillfull people , etc because their main goal is to perfect Paramis not to score the highest return.For example,if I had to perform merit I'd think who would be most suitable and who would be a field of merit and I'd meditate first so that my own mind is pure and when pure meets pure you get a good return and I do it knowing that I will get a good return.

But I avoid things like feeling very like greedy like I'm going to perform merit so I can win the lottery which I have won a couple of tiny amounts lol but it feels very off you know performing merit for really greedy requests Its like you can't bring yourself to even do that.But always perform merit even if you think your doing it for greedy reasons it's way better to give than not give. :candle: :broke:
chownah

Post by chownah »

Akashad wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 am I think boddhisatvas perform merit regardless of who gets it, unskillfull people , etc because their main goal is to perfect Paramis not to score the highest return.
In that case it seems that scoring progress towards perfecting paramis is what for them constitutes scoring the highest return.
chownah
alfa

Post by alfa »

chownah wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 am I think you will find an answer in the Dana Sutta:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
chownah
Thanks. It says 'ornament for the mind'. Any idea what that means?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

alfa wrote:So what will be the consequence of this act? Will good results come to you because you've done a good deed.
Sure, it's still a good deed that helps lessening the suffering of another human being, though the fruit probably won't be as great as one done out of more pure and wholesome intent.
Thanks. It says 'ornament for the mind'. Any idea what that means?
Ven. Bodhi's note citing Comy's explanation in "Numerical Discourses":
All three editions have cittala?karacittaparikkharattham danam deti. See 7:52, where Ce has cittalankaram cittaparikkharanti danam deti. Mp: "For the purpose of ornamenting and equipping the mind with serenity and insight."
Jerafreyr

Post by Jerafreyr »

#1 & 2 are not problems. It's like the desire to get rid of desire. :clap:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

alfa wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 am :namaste:

Suppose you do a good deed, let's say give money to the needy. Let's say you do that not because you care about the poor but because you want to accrue good karma.

So what will be the consequence of this act? Will good results come to you because you've done a good deed. Or will bad results come to you because you've done with a good deed with selfish intent?

The poor will be grateful to you. Your reputation improves and you should rejoice because you have done something good. What bad result do you expect?

However, if you expect people to be grateful and to praise you for this but that didn't happen then you might have a degree of dukkha. On the other hand, if you give without self-interest, there is no dukkha.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I am not sure that it addresses your question specifically, but this is still a good read on Kamma: An Introduction to Kamma.

:namaste: Kevin
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

alfa wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 am :namaste:

You got both wholesome and unwholesome kamma, but they're not necessarily ripening at the same time. Both bad kamma and good kamma are part of samsara. Hope this helps :anjali:
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

pegembara wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:07 am The poor will be grateful to you. Your reputation improves and you should rejoice because you have done something good. What bad result do you expect?

However, if you expect people to be grateful and to praise you for this but that didn't happen then you might have a degree of dukkha. On the other hand, if you give without self-interest, there is no dukkha.
Hi Pegembara!

Good points!
Someone might say that rejoicing for the good deed or trying to eradicate greed through giving could be self-interest.
To those, I'd say that self-interest is the interest for making conceit stronger, and making oneself feel superior for doing such deeds.

Kind regards!
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

I think even for deluded wordlings, the motivation for doing good is a mix, with some of it possibly true generosity with no self-cherishing. Especially in extreme situations, some people truly shine with selfless giving.

And for practitioners, it seems to me that to the extent there is self-cherishing or any sort of selfish aims, the kamma will be mixed.
nowheat

Karma and Intent Stated in multiple places and ways?

Post by nowheat »

cetanāhaṃ, bhikkhave, kammaṃ vadāmi.

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma." --Thanissaro Bhikkhu's translation of a line in AN 6.63 "Penetrative"

I've often heard it said that kamma is intentional action. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any other suttas where the Buddha says this (likely using a bit different phrasing) or goes into more detail.
justindesilva

Re: Karma and Intent Stated in multiple places and ways?

Post by justindesilva »

nowheat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:55 pm cetanāhaṃ, bhikkhave, kammaṃ vadāmi.

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma." --Thanissaro Bhikkhu's translation of a line in AN 6.63 "Penetrative"

I've often heard it said that kamma is intentional action. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any other suttas where the Buddha says this (likely using a bit different phrasing) or goes into more detail.
The other verse I have seen in this regard is the 1st verse of damma pada to the effect that all in this world are mind made and happiness follows good mind and bad mind is followed by dukka .
Samma sankappa sutta and cundakammaraputta sutta etc. explain that good and skilled intentions are followed by good results. Samma sankappa or right intentions is the 2nd step of arya ashtanga sutta. (I have only mentioned these sutta as they can be downloaded).
Vasetta sutta too explain kamma to the same effect and cula kamma vibhanga and maha kamma vibangha sutta too are another set of sutta with similar understanding.
nowheat

Re: Karma and Intent Stated in multiple places and ways?

Post by nowheat »

justindesilva wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:32 am The other verse I have seen in this regard is the 1st verse of damma pada to the effect that all in this world are mind made and happiness follows good mind and bad mind is followed by dukka .
Samma sankappa sutta and cundakammaraputta sutta etc. explain that good and skilled intentions are followed by good results. Samma sankappa or right intentions is the 2nd step of arya ashtanga sutta. (I have only mentioned these sutta as they can be downloaded).
Vasetta sutta too explain kamma to the same effect and cula kamma vibhanga and maha kamma vibangha sutta too are another set of sutta with similar understanding.
Thanks! I'll have a look at them. And no need to limit yourself to downloadable suttas: I have all the big basic Wisdom Pubs books, and get to look at the Pali, too, via the Digital Pali Reader (which I am so grateful for).