No self theory do I get it right?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
polo
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by polo »

Srilankaputra wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm As I have seen on another forum this questions can be a real can of worms.

My take on it after listening to teachers I have faith in;

There is a self is a clinging to views.
There is no self is a clinging to views.
Ariyas without clinging to any views simply see "Ye dhamma hetuppabhavā".
So here I find you saying " this question can be a real can of worms" and others have comment on what I asked as questions I shouldn't be asking .
I am flabbergasted is there question that I shouldn't be asking on this forum.
You mean it's like a kid reaching puberty should be asking questions on sex?
Srilankaputra
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 am
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by Srilankaputra »

polo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm
Srilankaputra wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm As I have seen on another forum this questions can be a real can of worms.

My take on it after listening to teachers I have faith in;

There is a self is a clinging to views.
There is no self is a clinging to views.
Ariyas without clinging to any views simply see "Ye dhamma hetuppabhavā".
So here I find you saying " this question can be a real can of worms" and others have comment on what I asked as questions I shouldn't be asking .
I am flabbergasted is there question that I shouldn't be asking on this forum.
You mean it's like a kid reaching puberty should be asking questions on sex?
Of course not. For my part, I answered how I was inspired at the time.

'can of worms' was not a personal insult directed at you.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.
polo
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by polo »

DNS wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 pm
polo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 am I am sure some kind soul out there can explain to me the "no self" theory.
:D Good one, not sure if you were trying to be humorous, but it comes off a little funny. :thumbsup:
The funny part is I didn't know it's a little funny as you mentioned. I still don't see the funny side really. I must be a pretty dumb guy.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 13328
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by DNS »

polo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm
DNS wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 pm
polo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 am I am sure some kind soul out there can explain to me the "no self" theory.
:D Good one, not sure if you were trying to be humorous, but it comes off a little funny. :thumbsup:
The funny part is I didn't know it's a little funny as you mentioned. I still don't see the funny side really. I must be a pretty dumb guy.
You were looking for some kind of "soul" to explain "no self" or i.e. that there is no soul. How could a soul explain there is no soul? :D
User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 4921
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by cappuccino »

There is a body, there isn't a person.

There is a mind, there isn't a person.

And so on…
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

DNS wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 pm
polo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm
DNS wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 pm

:D Good one, not sure if you were trying to be humorous, but it comes off a little funny. :thumbsup:
The funny part is I didn't know it's a little funny as you mentioned. I still don't see the funny side really. I must be a pretty dumb guy.
You were looking for some kind of "soul" to explain "no self" or i.e. that there is no soul. How could a soul explain there is no soul? :D
yes because there is a self- i am. It is indeed weird to think there is no self, when you are aware that you think about there is no self.
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

cappuccino wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 pm There is a body, there isn't a person.

There is a mind, there isn't a person.

And so on…
there is a person, being, the body whereas is not you, the cells in body are beings, they are not your being, you are you.
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8761
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am
cappuccino wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 pm There is a body, there isn't a person.

There is a mind, there isn't a person.

And so on…
there is a person, being, the body whereas is not you, the cells in body are beings, they are not your being, you are you.

Cells aren’t beings. They have no capacity to have Being
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am
auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am
cappuccino wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 pm There is a body, there isn't a person.

There is a mind, there isn't a person.

And so on…
there is a person, being, the body whereas is not you, the cells in body are beings, they are not your being, you are you.

Cells aren’t beings. They have no capacity to have Being
that is what you think.
sunnat
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 am

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by sunnat »

ova, sperm, conception
__________



it is by direct experience that the correct understanding of what is not self is experienced. As one progresses on the path, observing anicca, more and more of that which one once understood as self clearly becomes understood as not self.
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8761
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am
clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am
auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

there is a person, being, the body whereas is not you, the cells in body are beings, they are not your being, you are you.

Cells aren’t beings. They have no capacity to have Being
that is what you think.

A cell works purely by chemical means. A cell has no awareness as it lacks the capacity to be aware.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm
auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am
clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am


Cells aren’t beings. They have no capacity to have Being
that is what you think.

A cells works purely by chemical means. A cell has no awareness as it lacks the capacity to be aware.
a man can have awareness but is too much into chemical abuses to notice importance to hold awareness. When being aware certain processes will stop, you need figure out by yourself how to make things happen otherwise what are done by chemicals.

making those claims that cells work purely on chemicals, you therefore don't see or know what awareness does or how human being is different from a cell.
Last edited by auto on Thu May 09, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

sunnat wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am ova, sperm, conception
__________



it is by direct experience that the correct understanding of what is not self is experienced. As one progresses on the path, observing anicca, more and more of that which one once understood as self clearly becomes understood as not self.
better but you need obtain, attain the deathless/unborn in order to stop the search. No-self clearly isn't unborn or deathless since you can't obtain what doesn't exist, there wouldn't be used words like attains.
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8761
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm
clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm
auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am

that is what you think.

A cells works purely by chemical means. A cell has no awareness as it lacks the capacity to be aware.
a man can have awareness but is too much into chemical abuses to notice importance to hold awareness. When being aware certain processes will stop, you need figure out by yourself how to make things happen otherwise what are done by chemicals.

making those claims that cells work purely on chemicals, you therefore don't see or know what awareness does or how human being is different from a cell.

This is gobbledegook
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
auto
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm
auto wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm
clw_uk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm


A cells works purely by chemical means. A cell has no awareness as it lacks the capacity to be aware.
a man can have awareness but is too much into chemical abuses to notice importance to hold awareness. When being aware certain processes will stop, you need figure out by yourself how to make things happen otherwise what are done by chemicals.

making those claims that cells work purely on chemicals, you therefore don't see or know what awareness does or how human being is different from a cell.

This is gobbledegook
what are you doing on spiritual webpages?
Post Reply