No self theory do I get it right?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
polo

No self theory do I get it right?

Post by polo »

I am sure some kind soul out there can explain to me the "no self" theory. I may be wrong or totally wrong, from what I understand say if I called myself John or Jack and which part of me is John or Jack, the brain, the cells? Or if you say the whole person but the whole person is not the same it is changing all the time because the cells died and changed. This constantly changing biological entity has no self same with the universe which is constantly changing though in minute ways not perceptible to the length of time we are watching it.
There is no self so to speak.
Srilankaputra

Re: No self theory do I get it right?

Post by Srilankaputra »

As I have seen on another forum this questions can be a real can of worms.

My take on it after listening to teachers I have faith in;

There is a self is a clinging to views.
There is no self is a clinging to views.
Ariyas without clinging to any views simply see "Ye dhamma hetuppabhavā".

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Jerafreyr

Post by Jerafreyr »

polo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 am I am sure some kind soul out there can explain to me the "no self" theory. I may be wrong or totally wrong, from what I understand say if I called myself John or Jack and which part of me is John or Jack, the brain, the cells? Or if you say the whole person but the whole person is not the same it is changing all the time because the cells died and changed. This constantly changing biological entity has no self same with the universe which is constantly changing though in minute ways not perceptible to the length of time we are watching it.
There is no self so to speak.
The brain is composed of parts, and in none of those parts is the essence of self to be found. It is the same with cells, even atoms. There is no such existence as a partless thing. All is dependent on other things. It is just like the appearance of a mirage.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Hi polo,
Asking in pubic like this if you have got it right will (I think) result in those who see it the same way as you saying that you do have it right and those who see it differently from you will say you don't have it right.

I like what you say and don't think it is wrong while on the other hand I think it goes way beyond just what you have said. Some people will of course think I am wrong but that's ok (ok with me at least).....perhaps they are right and I am wrong. Whatever people say, I just keep practicing and keep studying and keep calming my mind and doing my best to see more clearly what all the no self thing is all about because it really seems to me that when one comes to a perfect undertanding of the no self thing one has pretty nearly reached the goal. Also, I think that for most people their view of the no self thing evolves over time hopefully helping them to progress on the path.
chownah
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

There is No such thing as:
-'I'
-Ego
-Self
-Soul
-Spirit
-Attā/Atman
-eternal citta
-eternal consciousness

some ref: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34060
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

polo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 am I am sure some kind soul out there can explain to me the "no self" theory.
:D Good one, not sure if you were trying to be humorous, but it comes off a little funny. :thumbsup:
auto

Post by auto »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 pm Image

-'I'
-Ego
-Self
-Soul
-Spirit
-Attā/Atman
-eternal citta
-eternal consciousness

Sutta says that khandhas are not self, not your self, not yours,
knowing that above why you still spread wrong information that there is no self or no soul?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm

-'I'
-Ego
-Self
-Soul
-Spirit
-Attā/Atman
-eternal citta
-eternal consciousness

knowing that above why you still spread wrong information that there is no self or no soul?

Everything within the world is not-self. To say there is a self outside of the world is unknowable. To say there is 100% no-self outside of the world is useless conjecture and can be a view that is clung to. All we can know is that the world (the 6 senses and their objects) are all empty of self or what belongs to self.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
auto

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:28 pm

-'I'
-Ego
-Self
-Soul
-Spirit
-Attā/Atman
-eternal citta
-eternal consciousness

Everything within the world is not-self. To say there is a self outside of the world is unknowable. To say there is 100% no-self outside of the world is useless conjecture and can be a view that is clung to. All we can know is that the world (the 6 senses and their objects) are all empty of self or what belongs to self.
the one who feel feelings is you whilst the feeling is not self.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm

What is this “one who feels things”? Is it form, perception, thoughts or consciousness (you have already ruled out feelings)?
auto

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:56 pm

What is this “one who feels things”? Is it form, perception, thoughts or consciousness (you have already ruled out feelings)?
if you ask who is this one who is feeling in real time then you come aware of yourself who is feeling feelings you can refer to that its me who is feeling feelings, but you can't yet grasp it or hold onto it but eventually need let it into your body.

Also when you come aware that you are aware, and then next time you come aware you notice that you were unaware, you see it appearing. As of you don't notice when you went unaware <--that same thing is documented, it is Theravada, at least vipassana files, saw it posted in this site..what i mean its not unique, many others who can notice it too.

+ there is more and more, you see the blackness where the knowledge is coming. And you can get to that blackness by a state when to practice absorption, and its not simply concentration on something, its following that sense of self.
Last edited by auto on Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

if you ask who is this one who is feeling in real time then you come aware of yourself who is feeling feelings you can refer to that its me who is feeling feelings, but you can't yet grasp it or hold onto it but eventually need let it into your body.

Also when you come aware that you are aware, and then next time you come aware you notice that you were unaware, you see it appearing. As of you don't notice when you went unaware <--that same thing is documented, it is Theravada, at least vipassana files, saw it posted in this site.

I'm certainly aware of the idea of self. That doesn't mean there is a self, as in a permanent "me". I ask you again, where is this self? What is it? Is it form, perception, thoughts/ideas or consciousness (as you have already ruled out feeling)?

As far as I can tell "I am" is a thought and a feeling which arises in the mind.
auto

Post by auto »

clw_uk wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 pm
auto wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Also when you come aware that you are aware, and then next time you come aware you notice that you were unaware, you see it appearing. As of you don't notice when you went unaware <--that same thing is documented, it is Theravada, at least vipassana files, saw it posted in this site.

I'm certainly aware of the idea of self. That doesn't mean there is a self, as in a permanent "me". I ask you again, where is this self? What is it? Is it form, perception, thoughts/ideas or consciousness (as you have already ruled out feeling)?

As far as I can tell "I am" is a thought and a feeling which arises in the mind.
when you say things then these affect the body, certain sayings will cause things in body to rise and with these things knowledges arise, knowledge contains information and sometimes also containing what to do.

Asking where is this self, should prompt you to come aware, also you may come aware that you sit in your room. When then you look at your hand, then it is your hand at that moment. Then you can do proper type of mediation or sadhanas because you have reach to that point where you could and is useful.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto
when you say things then these affect the body, certain sayings will cause things in body to rise and with these things knowledges arise, knowledge contains information and sometimes also containing what to do.

Asking where is this self, should prompt you to come aware, also you may come aware that you sit in your room. When then you look at your hand, then it is your hand at that moment. Then you can do proper type of mediation or sadhanas because you have reach to that point where you could and is useful.

I'm sorry but you aren't answering my questions. Also, none of that means that there is a self which you do so claim. Its mere assertion and quite vague at that.
budo

Post by budo »

When the average person is referring to a self, they're referring to continuity (I existed in the past, I exist now, I will exist tomorrow). Even the average person after a certain age knows we are just a bunch of body parts, with electricity (heat, nerves) and memories. What they don't fully understand is continuity. To fully understand continuity you need to attain cessation and jhanas.