Communicating With Patients in a Coma

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Communicating With Patients in a Coma

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Vegetative state patients can respond to questions

Recent discoveries raise some interesting questions about consciousness, and the ethics of turning off life support.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Re: Communicating With Patients in a Coma

Post by Ben »

That's interesting.
Following my brother's car accident I sat with him and talked to him while all his vital signs slid off the edge of the world and became brain dead.
From time to time I have wondered whether it was of any benefit.
Thanks Bhante.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Vegetative state patients can respond to questions

Recent discoveries raise some interesting questions about consciousness, and the ethics of turning off life support.
It will be interesting to see if it can be duplicated and what further research shows.

I wonder your take on those refusing CPR and other heroic measures if they were to go into cardiac arrest.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ben wrote:From time to time I have wondered whether it was of any benefit.
There are several reported cases of patients recovering from comas, and afterwards relating how they were aware of what was going on, but were unable to communicate. I think it was in one of Ajahn Brahmavamso's talks that I heard one such story of a Thai lady in Australia where the sons were discussing whether or not to turn sign the consent form for the doctors to turn off life support, and the patient was praying for her eldest son to say “no,” which fortunately for her, he did.

From the Buddhist POV, there is clearly more to consciousness than being ardent, clearly comprehending, and mindful. The bhavanga consciousness continues throughout life even when were are fast asleep or in a coma. It begins at conception (whenever that is), and continues to arise and pass away whenever there is no conscious sense object.

Since human life is so rare and precious, IMO doctors should do whatever they can to preserve life, at times even against the will of the patient. We have all faced situations where we want to give up on some task that seems futile, but afterwards have succeeded when encouraged by others.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Although a little repetitive, here's more...and opinions on the topic as well...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/0 ... 49044.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Ben wrote:That's interesting.
Following my brother's car accident I sat with him and talked to him while all his vital signs slid off the edge of the world and became brain dead.
From time to time I have wondered whether it was of any benefit.
Thanks Bhante.

Ben
Much metta to you and your brother Ben :anjali: :anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:.

Since human life is so rare and precious, IMO doctors should do whatever they can to preserve life, at times even against the will of the patient. We have all faced situations where we want to give up on some task that seems futile, but afterwards have succeeded when encouraged by others.
Bhante, Are you saying that if a patient goes into cardiac arrest in a hospital, that no matter what the patient has previously indicated, the hospital personal should do whatever it take to try to resuscitate the patient?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723